Please sign in to post.

Scrapbooks

Only five entries at this time. I wonder why so few entries so far this year. I've done one in the past and it does take a LOT of time. I do enjoy looking at the scrapbooks. Was the COVID experience part of the reason or will there be a bunch at the last minute? Any ideas?

Posted by
1473 posts

I am rushing to get one done in time. It is very time intensive. I think there will be a bunch submitted at the last minute.

Posted by
8257 posts

I think it is the time as well as the idea that mine might be far below the others in quality that keeps me from doing it.

Posted by
7126 posts

I agree with Carol. I’m not planning to make one for this year’s RS trip. I barely can make myself create the on-line printed photo books which I treasure after they’re completed.

Also, this is a personal quirk. ; ) , but I don’t want to approach my trip thinking, “How will I capture each place, each experience for the scrapbook?” Similar thought & mental answer to when several people have told me I should be creating an on-line site for travel. I don’t want to seek photo opportunities just for those types of situations or cater my experiences to provide a wider audience appeal.

Posted by
424 posts

I am working on mine, but it is my first one and there is a learning curve. I am trying not to get hung up on perfection though.

Posted by
2633 posts

Just wanted to say that I love all the scrapbooks, regardless of quality/skill level. I find them so helpful. They not only give me ideas for the things l’d like to see, but also ideas for pictures I should take.

I look forward to seeing yours vandrabrud and Meg. And carol and jean, if you change your minds. 😊

Posted by
1473 posts

I am not clever enough to make a great scrapbook and I haven't tried to win anything after the first year. I like to do the scrapbook because I love looking at everyone else's whether they are one page or more in depth. I mostly like seeing the photos. Then after I am done I have a nice souvenir!

Posted by
1815 posts

I love making my photobooks after each trip, but they are for me and there are no critics. I don't think I would feel comfortable creating a scrapbook for a contest that would be judged. Probably I am just too sensitive and it IS just my humble opinion. I certainly enjooy all the scrapbooks that are entered though.

Posted by
4614 posts

For all you enthusiasts, what program do you use for your personal travel photo albums? I really liked the Costco 12"x12" lay- flat, glossy albums, but Costco just shut down their photo dept. I don't quite see the equivalent on Shutterfly. Thx for any help!

Posted by
37 posts

I use Snapfish and have done eight books so far. I am getting better at it and I like having a thinner book on my shelf then my old photo albums with hundreds of printed photos (very thick and cumbersome).

Posted by
2633 posts

Hi Pat, I have used both walgreens and Shutterfly for photo books. I find Shutterfly easier to use. I just make a basic one like this, nothing fancy:

https://www.shutterfly.com/photo-books/styles/travel-adventures-photo-book/?categoryCode=1503351&productCode=1503160&skuCode=1503372

Mine are pretty much just pictures, but sometimes I’ll add a city name to a page. Make sure you spell check. I’m always in a hurry to get mine done before I have to go back to work. I have one that says “Sister in Austria” instead of “Sisters in Austria” I just tell people the other sister is implied. 😊

Posted by
4614 posts

Carrie,
the previous Costco program had no spell check. And no matter how many times I proofed the book, there was always one mistake. It became sport to see who could find the goof.
I left off the Y in Italy on the spine once,
Labeled one a " fist" edition instead of first edition (family joke as my daughter collects first editions), on the back cover. And accidentally used the same photo twice in a few of them.
But I do enjoy looking at them years later.

Posted by
1473 posts

@Laurie Beth,
It is true that they are judged by RSE staff to choose winners, but there is no criticism.
Even the most critical posters on the forum don't typically criticize anyone's scrapbook. For anyone that has tried to make one, they realize the work that goes in. I usually get tired of it and publish before I can get it into good shape.
I would like to encourage everyone to make one because I enjoy them so much!

Posted by
7126 posts

@Pat, I also need to find a new supplier for my photobooks. I used Costco for ten of them. It had its quirks, but I knew them, so I continued to use them. When they sent the email in January that they were closing the photo business part of Costco, it was a kick in the pants to hurry and finish one book that was partially done and the last trip’s book - whew!

I like the photos arranged on a black background with the name on the front and the spine. And I like to customize the layout on the pages. I have used the entire quantity of pages allowed - I think it was 100 pages, on a couple of trips.

Posted by
1968 posts

I have posted this on another recent thread about this. I tried Mixbook about a month ago for the first time and have been very pleased with them! The platform is very easy to use and there are loads of options. So far I have made 6 different trip albums, and they have all turned out much better than I anticipated. If you go to their page, lookout the top under "deals" and there will be any current coupons. My first order was 50% off but the other orders have come in at 34-40% off, which is still really good. If you have any questions, just ask.

Posted by
1499 posts

Pat, I’m with you. I have been using Costco and after so much proofreading I always find errors on the 3rd reading of the finished product. I make these only for us but it’s still irritating. We’ve just returned from a trip so I’ll soon find out how Shutterfly works.

Posted by
4614 posts

Jean and Carol, yes, I'm also disappointed in Costco photo' s seemingly quick demise. I also have about a dozen Costco photos books, and they look so nice in the shelf with the same Travel cover. I called Costco and asked who REALLY made their books, so I could go straight to the source, and they wouldn't tell me. In addition, because of our threat of wildfires here in Ca, I always thought that if the unthinkable ever happened, I could always reprint my book- no more, as only the photos transferred to Shutterfly, not the finished products.
Pls keep me informed as you try the new services.

Posted by
55 posts

I have used EZ prints to make lots of photo prints. They were the service Target used for their photo shop, also recently discontinued. I have not made photo books with them but they do offer that service, they might have what you want. I have been pleased with both the prints and the pricing. Check them out.

As to the scrapbooks, I submitted one on Tuesday and it is not yet been reviewed and posted on the RS website. They must be running behind. However, in the past the vast majority of scrapbooks were submitted right at the deadline, so expect many more to be posted in the next couple weeks!

Posted by
2290 posts

These have become my go-to things to browse while bored in meetings this week...

Posted by
924 posts

Hey all, I'm glad you're enjoying the scrapbooks, and there are 7 more entries coming that I haven't been able to confirm and post yet. We usually get half our entries in the last few days, so I'm hoping for another 20-30 to be posted by early next week.

And we don't publish our "judgements" of submitted scrapbooks outside of declaring our winners.

Also, as someone mentioned this in a forum report, it's becoming more common that browsers are incorrectly throwing up big red security warnings for phishing attempts on a web page. I'm seeing these in a few of our contest submissions, but there are literally no forms to input or collect any information on these web pages for there to be any possible phishing. My intent here is to say that you shouldn't get hung up on these browser alerts, as you are in control of whether or not any possible phishing can be successful. Simply don't type anything into an online form if you see one on pages that provide these alerts. I'm confident you can browse these scrapbooks with reasonable safety.

Posted by
102 posts

I'm glad to hear that there should be more posted. I enjoy looking at all of them. And I go back to previous years to see some of those too.

Posted by
2252 posts

mikliz97 I also had a Mixbook book created recently and was very pleased with the result. Mine was a book full of photos of my dogs and cat, sponsored by Chewy as a promotion. I only paid the postage but have noticed lots of %s off on my next books. I’m guessing they must be a relatively new player in the field? The cost was very reasonable and the quality was (almost) as impressive as the previous-now-defunct Apple photo books. I was very pleased with the result and will use them again, as soon as I return with trip photos from my next tour. Now to go to the newest scrapbook postings. Again, many, many thank yous to everyone who took the time and trouble to post their wonderful tours. They are truly works of art and labors of love.

Posted by
22 posts

My scrapbook got accepted today! Creating a scrapbook website was totally new for me. Though it was a bit scary putting myself out there, I have to admit I enjoyed learning something new. I enjoy looking at the scrapbooks when I do my research, so I wanted to give back. It took longer than I thought it would but I'm glad I persevered. :-) Hope you enjoy it.
Rebecca

22 Best of Eastern Europe

Posted by
647 posts

Rebecca: Thank you for taking the time to make a scrapbook for your Eastern Europe Tour. Yours is the first...and only scrapbook for that tour since COVID. I especially appreciated your description of cafes/restaurants you enjoyed, as well as listing all the lodging.

We are signed up for the tour the end of August...and I too want to visit Schindler's Factory, so it is helpful to know when you were able to schedule a tour.

Rick Steves only chooses a few winners, but ALL of you who make and post a scrapbook are winners, as far as I am concerned. The scrapbooks are so helpful to those of us who are taking the same tour, or traveling independently. To all of you Thank You!

Posted by
22 posts

Carol,
You are welcome but I don't think you looked at my scrapbook. I noticed that the one right after mine was also on Eastern Europe. So maybe you looked at it? Hopefully you will find it helpful too!

Rebecca

Posted by
647 posts

@Rebecca: Oops! I hadn't realized there were 2 Eastern Europe scrapbooks right next to each other.
I also appreciated reading yours. Thank you.

I made a note that taking the bus to the city from the airport is doable. I am especially interested in the scheduled activities in Krakow. I hope our guide also gives us the option of "listening to Klezmer music" while dining on Jewish food.

Posted by
4614 posts

I have a very basic question here- can folks print these creations? I'm not asking if I can print them , but can the folks who made them? Thx so much.

Posted by
22 posts

No. We can't print them. They are websites. I am a huge fan of digital scrapbooking. I make one for each of my trips. I have taught a few classes on it at our local community college. (We have a program for seniors called the Academy of Life Long Learning. We volunteer to teach things that we enjoy.) I noticed several people on this thread were talking about Costco scrapbooks. I believe Costco transferred their scrapbooking to Shutterfly. I have made scrapbooks with Shutterfly. But I started with Snapfish and I prefer it. They are both good products and easy to learn. One of the best parts is that they are inexpensive. (They almost always are on sale.) I'd highly recommend trying one out. If you have a specific question, I'm happy to try and answer.

Posted by
22 posts

@Carol, It was a lot of fun going as a group. But you can do it on your own also. I'd ask your guide when you meet him/her about it so they know you are interested.

Posted by
4614 posts

RJN, thx for the answer. I must try a new site since my trip is in May. Even tho it takes time, I really enjoy the finished photo books Safe travels!

Posted by
102 posts

I've enjoyed all the scrapbooks for this year. I'm guessing a few more will show up tomorrow from anyone who submitted it today. I also have gone back to older books. Today I spent an enjoyable time remembering the tour of Scandinavia that I took with my daughter in 2019 via her scrapbook.

Posted by
158 posts

Ive also used Mixbook and find the site easy to maneuver. They have lay-flat books. And they are very nice!

Posted by
72 posts

Thinking of the Best of Eastern Europe (or maybe will be called Central Europe next year) for 2024. Can't wait to look at the 2 new scrapbooks! I've looked at many of the other destinations submitted so far & I keep changing my mind regarding which tour to book. I too thank all of those who submit a scrapbook! We took our 1st tour (My Way Alpine Europe) last year & I looked at the all the scrapbooks I could find for that tour and area.

Posted by
4614 posts

Lamb,
Thx for your input. I have to learn a new program since Costco shut down their photo services.
Safe travels!

Posted by
424 posts

Wow, I can’t believe there are 98 of them! I submitted mine yesterday and it is #79 (Loire to the South of France). I am looking forward to reading through the other scrapbooks!

Posted by
2633 posts

98?!?!?!?!?! I had to look for myself. Yup, 98 of them. That is so great!! I cannot wait to start looking at all of them. Thanks to everyone who took the time to put one together.

I think RS should consider having a second scrapbook contest for those who travel using his guidebooks.

Posted by
548 posts

Can’t wait to pour myself a glass of wine and settle in to read them. It’s almost like a box of chocolates to me ☺️

Posted by
27 posts

I posted mine for the Best of Turkey tour. It was a lot of work and time intensive, but when you look at it, it doesn't look like it would really take that long to do. I'm #41 on the list, if anyone is interested. I cover each day of the tour from start to finish.

Posted by
2165 posts

Meg- that’s our tour for this year, so thank you in advance for taking the time to do it. These first hand accounts with pictures are so helpful in planning trips. I savor everyone scrapbook.

Posted by
7126 posts

Wow, I’m glad so many people are submitting their trips! Not only does it get me even more excited for my upcoming tour, but I really appreciate the photos to also see what type of clothing is being worn in the different locations - mountains vs. coastal. Coastal - everyone is wearing sunglasses - check! ; )

I think the scrapbooks are an excellent way for people to be able to narrow down which tour to take next year!

Posted by
2290 posts

I'm surprised how many people I see wearing sandal-type shoes

Posted by
424 posts

Thanks for your kind words Patty! I hope you love the tour!

Posted by
22 posts

@TinaC - Rick Steve's Best of Eastern Europe was our first Rick Steve's tour. It was more than we even hoped for. This was my first time building a real website. It was really hard trying to figure out how much information to put into the scrapbook and how much to leave out. I didn't want to give all the information because I didn't want to spoil the surprises for everyone. We had such amazing weather and I had so many beautiful photos. It is really hard to decide how much to add. If you have any specific questions about the tour, you can pm me.

Posted by
102 posts

I've enjoyed all the new tour scrapbooks. It takes quite a bit of time to go through them!
Because I did one long ago, I know how time intensive it is to make these things. I'm happy that 100 people took up the challenge.
Not all tours are covered and it's interesting to see the different viewpoints on scrapbooks that cover the same tour. Things can differ a lot depending on the time of year and, of course, the things that most interest the book maker.
Thanks again to everyone who made a scrapbook.

Posted by
102 posts

roubrat - thanks for the update. I opened it and felt I'd already seen it. Hmmmm.

Posted by
2633 posts

These scrapbooks are such a great marketing tool. I never thought I would take a tour, but I’m actually thinking about taking the best of Ireland tour next year. In looking at the scrapbooks, I realized how much I would miss out on if I planned a trip myself using public transportation.

Posted by
394 posts

I have used Shutterfly for many year's worth of trip photo books. Before that I used Peek a Boo which no longer exists. I feel like I make them mostly for me, and sometimes will order another copy as a gift to give to a friend if they were on the trip with us (but sometimes have to make another version so it is not so "me and my husband"-centric). I often feel like many people don't really want to see these books--or they are saying they want to see my trip photos just to be polite. I found in the past that when I would bring someone the book to look at, they would flip through it quick, then move on, and it always left me feeling somewhat--what's the word? crestfallen? melancholy? disappointed? taken aback? (particularly when you consider all the time that goes into making these things). Only really photo-bug or travel-focused guests/friends/acquaintances really wanted to linger on each page. After many situations like this, I finally decided that people would have to ask three times to see my photo book on three separate occasions before I would bring it out to show them (the three request rule I called it.) I would want to do one for a RS trip certainly when the time comes.