Please sign in to post.

Scrapbooks 2019

Anyone else getting excited to hopefully start seeing some 2019 tour scrapbooks posted? I always enjoy!

Posted by
2469 posts

I have started looking at it, very nicely done. I love her witty comments!
I love scrapbook season in the winter, making it more fun to be inside vicariously living through others' travels!

Posted by
564 posts

I love looking at all the scrapbooks, traveling vicariously through tour members. This one's great!

Posted by
4601 posts

That was fun to read her tour descriptions, as my anticipation is building for my own first Rick Steves tour in May. It will be so nice to let someone else manage the major logistics and even.... as she described....some of the little details.

Posted by
99 posts

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so few scrapbooks so late. I wonder if the bar is so high now? A graphic designer won top prize last year. Or are people aiming for flawlessness? I just want to see pics and commentary that show the realistic viewpoint of a tour. Perfection isn’t needed - in fact I would welcome flawed reality.

Posted by
317 posts

You may have hit on something Amy. When I first started following the contest I felt that I could relate to the personal experiences. Now , although beautifully done , many of them seem to more of an advertisement than a personal memory.

Posted by
3245 posts

Now , although beautifully done , many of them seem to more of an advertisement than a personal memory.

I don't think this even remotely applies to the current entry.

Posted by
7026 posts

Now , although beautifully done , many of them seem to more of an advertisement than a personal memory.

I don't think this even remotely applies to the current entry.

I agree with you on that. But Pat didn't say all of them, she said many of them and I also tend to agree with that. I know if it was me I'd think twice about submitting my clumsy attempt at producing a scrapbook when I knew it was going to look second class next to the professional looking ones.

Posted by
99 posts

I love the current entry. The commentary is so personal and allows me to “feel” her experience on the tour.

I use the scrapbooks to plan my own upcoming trip. I like to see the food, hotel reviews, how the days are organized, what people did with their free time, and pictures that show snippets of the tour. I love bloopers and how people overcame mistakes or issues they encountered. The more human the better because it makes me feel “normal” when I get lost, leave something behind in the hotel, or get overcharged by a taxi driver. Life isn’t perfect and it’s okay to show that.

I hope I am wrong and that there will be a deluge of scrapbook submissions this week (fingers crossed for Paris and HOF ).

Posted by
4090 posts

Has anyone reading this done one before? I keep thinking about it but having never created a website before I can't help think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Posted by
57 posts

I am the person who created the single scrapbook entered in this year’s contest so far. Thanks to all who had kind words for my entry. I very much appreciate the positive feedback.

Regarding Allan’s question, these things take a huge amount of time for my not-so-young brain to design and execute. Good thing I am retired and time is something I have these days! I have done a few of them now and am (relatively) comfortable with the software but it is still takes time to plan, design, and execute my story.

As to whether it is worth it, this whole contest frustrates me. To me it is clear that this is less about showing the tour experience than it is marketing for the RS organization. As has previously been discussed, the winners are getting more and more sophisticated. But, if you will notice, the winners are generally the same type of itinerary over and over. Of the 4 winners each year there is always some variety of Best of Europe (generally the big winner) and a My Way tour. The other two may be up for grabs.

I personally take the time and enter the contest not with much expectation that I might win but to help out other travelers. When I am thinking about a tour, I always go in and look at old scrapbooks to get a view of the trip. Some are helpful, some not so much, but I always appreciate the effort involved to just do a simple scrapbook.

Posted by
905 posts

When I am thinking about a tour, I always go in and look at old scrapbooks to get a view of the trip. Some are helpful, some not so much, but I always appreciate the effort involved to just do a simple scrapbook.

Exactly! And thank you, Martha, for your efforts, both this year and in past years. I always enjoy looking at the scrapbooks and learning from others' experiences.

Posted by
2252 posts

I for one, wholeheartedly appreciate the time and effort put into all the scrapbooks. I think this particular entry is impressive with it's stunning photos and day-to-day summary of the tour, highlighting the itinerary, the guide(s) and tour members' enjoyment of both planned activities and free time options. Having been on 20+ tours (including this one), I think this is a completely accurate representation of how to enjoy a Rick Steves tour and just about the best "advertising" his company can get. I, like others, use the scrapbooks to chose my next tour and appreciate seeing, reading and enjoying a tour summary I can relate to. Thank you, Martha, for taking the time and making the Herculean effort it takes to share your wonderful tour memories!

Posted by
1480 posts

Martha,
I too enjoyed your scrapbook. Thanks for the time you spent.

I have done one scrapbook and am working on another. I just started it last night, so hopefully it will get done in time.
I will not try to win the contest because I would probably have to hire someone to help me, lol.

But, I enjoy looking at them, so hopefully it will give someone else some info they can use.

Posted by
647 posts

Huge thanks to Martha for creating a very helpful scrapbook that shows what can be expected from the Best of Eastern Europe tour.
(Martha, I was the one who previously emailed you from your scrapbook link. I'll have more questions later on for specific cities).
I'm one who uses scrapbooks to make a final decision in choosing a tour; and then later, to get an idea of each day's itinerary, and then to think about choices for our free-time.
As someone previously mentioned, I really appreciated the day to day summary with pictures in her scrapbook.

Posted by
7026 posts

Maybe if the people at ETBD read this thread and see what the general forum public gets out of the scrapbooks and why they like them, then they might rethink their judging procedure. Personally I really enjoyed your scrapbook Martha; I'm not likely to ever take a RS tour but it's fun to see some of what they are like from a less sophisticated, less glossy presentation.

I'm an old school paper and paste scrapper - never made on online scrapbook and probably never will. My scrapbooks will never win any prizes but they are fun to make and fun to look at for the memories. I like seeing the online scrapbooks that are more inline with that 'fun and memories' philosophy than those that are clearly out to win the contest, by being the slickest most professional.

Posted by
92 posts

I just posted a scrapbook for the Munich-Salzburg-Vienna tour. Creating a website was waaaay outside my skill set and I almost didn't do it, then I thought . . . why not! I do like to take photos, but the trip was about me enjoying every minute, not about planning a scrapbook that might appeal to unknown judges. So my scrapbook highlights some of my favorite moments, which may or may not resonate with anyone else, and that's ok. I think it would be a mistake to try to copy a prior winner. If you had a great trip, and took some fun photos, and feel like tackling a new skill (I used Wix), then go for it, and we will all be the better for getting to see your effort. I got to take a fantastic RS tour in 2019 and met some great people, so in a sense I already won the important prize: awesome memories :)

Posted by
7026 posts

Kirstin, I just enjoyed your scrapbook. It's wonderful! I was really diggin' the pretzels, what a cute idea. Your photos are gorgeous.

Posted by
92 posts

Thanks, Nancy! It was such a fun trip. I'm hoping to go on another RSE tour this year. I agree with the others who have said that the scrapbooks help them decide.

Posted by
57 posts

Thanks to all who commented! Glad you are enjoying my scrapbook and hope it spurs you on to more travel.

Thanks as well to Kristin... It looks like you found some fun features on Wix that I missed. I, too, love the pretzels... I also love your funny and quirky comments and the obvious joy you had on the tour. One of the best things for me about doing a scrapbook is reliving the trip and all the memories. Looks like you had a great time.

Posted by
92 posts

Thanks, Martha! My daughter and I really liked the "Lessons" you added at the end of each stop - very thought provoking!

Posted by
1226 posts

I took the MSV tour in December 2019 and enjoyed it very much. After viewing Kirstin's scrapbook, I know I have to return to this area during the not-winter months and really look at the statues and building facades. The scrapbook is a great incentive. Thanks!

Posted by
92 posts

Debbie - I bet it was lovely in December! Did you go to the Christmas markets? I would love to do that.

Posted by
7277 posts

Thank you Martha & Kirstin for sharing your scrapbooks on the site and good luck on the contest! Here’s the location of them since I had to hunt for it:

https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/scrapbooks

I’ve never created a web scrapbook, but I always create a book using Costco’s on-line photobook - usually about six months after the trip in order to narrow down the amount of photos! I started doing it several years ago when our methods of camera memory storage were becoming outdated, and I didn’t want to risk losing our favorite souvenir- photos.

Posted by
54 posts

Thanks to Martha and Kirstin and everyone who does these! I love both of the ones that were posted. I agree that I would never do one to win the prize-some of them are really professional looking and I'd just be doing it so that my friends could enjoy my pictures. I normally do a mini trip report on Facebook when I get home in a day-to-day fashion. That's enough for me since I still work full time but I'm really interested in figuring out an online scrapbooking tool someday.
I use these scrapbooks to help me pick my tours and once I have one booked, I will go back and take notes from that specific tour's scrapbooks to figure out what I want to do on my tour. We took the BOE 14 day tour two years ago and I figured out that I over researched the scrapbooks for that one lol. I knew what to expect, even for surprise stops. We are doing the My Way Alpine this year and the scrapbooks are really helpful-especially the ones with details like when discount lift tickets might be available and good places to eat in the places that you visit.

Posted by
92 posts

Another scrapbook has just been posted: Germany/Austria/Switzerland in 14 days by Lori Church.

Lori, we had the same guide! I thought Maisie was A++! Your pictures make me want to hop on a plane!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you Kirstin! It was a fabulous trip! (I made the RS GAS tour blog) Maisie was amazing! Of the three tours that I have taken Maisie was my favorite guide by far. I have loved them all, but she was just so real. I loved how she moved around the bus and got to know everyone. They all do so wonderfully. ♡

Developing these blogs does take a long. This one is my third. Additionally I have a separate travel blog that is much more in depth for my personal use, so it is always hard to bring it back and decide what to add without it being too much and getting boring. I love adding videos too, but they are discouraged in the rules. Ah well. I ultimately just hope people like the finished product and enjoy going along on the adventure! Photography is a passion of mine, so I try to let it shine! ♡ I hope you all like it!

Posted by
1226 posts

Kirstin, yes, my December 2018 MSV tour allowed plenty of time for Christmas markets. And we had a tiny bit of snow. My particular tour which started on Dec 1, got us to Hallstatt on the 5th for the once per year Krampuslauf. Really special. There is usually a video posted on YouTube each year. I do not see the 2019 video up yet, but if interested, you can look at earlier years.

Posted by
92 posts

Lori, I've never tried a blog, but I did come home with a lot of pictures and made a 111-page 11"x14" Shutterfly book, so I had to really cut that down to keep the scrapbook from being too long. Having seen your scrapbook, I'd sign up for your blog the next time you travel! :)

Posted by
92 posts

Debbie, Krampuslauf sounds scary! I lived in Salzburg as a kid for a while and I think I still have bad Krampus memories from childhood! ;)

Posted by
2 posts

Kirstin, I love Shutterfly and I do a book..... or two for our trips! They are fabulous! I haven't hardly started our book for this trip since the trip was later in the year than I am use to and I was rushing to get the RS Scrapbook done! It is all so fun and it gives me something to do!

I've recently discovered an issue with my travel blog where when I upload photos with the same names it replaces the previous with the newest image, so before I share it too much more I need to go back and fix it... that will be a big project unfortunately! Although it is something to do! Haha!

Best of luck in the contest though! ♡

Posted by
97 posts

I always read all the scrapbooks and really appreciate the time and effort taken to put all of it together. I also like what each person emphasizes or calls out. I always get something from each entry.

Posted by
8369 posts

I tried the polarsteps ap last year on my tour and enjoyed it. It allowed those I had invited to follow my trip, had fun satilite tracking/pictures, and gave me an easy option to make a book at the end ofthe trip. I posted my comments and pictures each day.

Posted by
1226 posts

@thomas45701,

I wanted Krampuslauf to be a little scary. Then I started noticing the moms in the crowd who were watching their Krampus sons, most likely members of the local fire brigade. I think it is really a community event, a little scary, a great production, fun for most. The brigade did a fantastic job cleaning up the next morning. Observable firemen were on duty, not just those in Krampus costume. Oh, I did get an unexpected startle when hit on the backs of the legs with a switch. it did hurt. As the event unfolded, Krampuses would consent to have selfies with crowd members. If I travel during this time of year again, I will research local events. The one in Munich I had seen in 2017 was more of parade. In Hallstatt, it was more participatory.

Posted by
2469 posts

I'm amazed, today is 2/12 and there are only 4 scrapbooks posted with slightly more than 2 weeks till the deadline! Looking for more. Love the ones I've seen so far.