Please sign in to post.

SCA-0618

Anyone going to Scandinavia with RST on June 18? Just eight weeks to go. Like someone else posted recently I have pre-planned everything I can think of. My husband is sick of watching travel videos on Youtube. I have been practicing my few words of Swedish and I am committed to trying pickled herring. Waiting is hard!

Posted by
13937 posts

Ohhh, I hope you will do a Trip Report when you get back!

Posted by
1019 posts

not on your trip :( Scandinavia is on my bucket list probably in 3 years. It is the most expensive ones. One of our past tour guides does this one. Nica...... she is great. If you have her...tell her hi from Kim & david.

Posted by
1203 posts

I have not been on the RST Scandinavia but I have been to Norway and it is a beautiful clean and wonderful country. Have a great time!

Posted by
112 posts

On our RS BOS tour we found there are a great variety of smoked and pickled herring. I grew up eating one or two types (so I like it to begin with) and found the quality and variety in Sweden to be outstanding. I can't find that stuff here. Do give it all a try while complementing the bites with the wonderful variety of schnapps and beer the Swedes provide. Skol!

Posted by
1481 posts

I will do a trip report.
I will pass on your message.
I will try pickled herring two ways.
I have the 17 day Italy tour penciled in for 2018 or 2019.
Thanks for helping me pass the time until I get to go!!

Posted by
740 posts

I'm in the: "Fail to plan, plan to fail" camp. The downside is that by the time you get to your destination, it feels like you've already been there.

Posted by
740 posts

Great tour. If you have some extra days in Stockholm, think about the canal cruise out to Sandhamm.

Posted by
1481 posts

Eric,
I was worried that would happen to me before my last trip (Ireland), because I even walked the streets of Dublin on google streetview. But luckily, I found that when I got there it was familiar but not too familiar.

Plus, I need that planning to get me through the days before I actually get to go.

Some of my free time plans include a trips to Millesgarden and Skansen and a dinner cruise to Vaxholm. I have also scheduled a four hour food tour in Copenhagen. After the tour I am going to Ystad on my own to visit the world of Wallander.

Posted by
89 posts

You will love this tour. When I did the Scandinavia tour a couple of years ago, the guide volunteered to organize tickets for anyone who wanted to go the the Ice Bar one evening in Stockholm. I didn't do it, but about half the group did, and they raved about it. Some said it was their favorite experience. So you might want to consider going to the Ice Bar in Stockholm. In Copenhagen, I really enjoyed the National Museum in my spare time.

Posted by
740 posts

I found the Millesgarden to be worth the visit. Wonderful sculptures in a park setting. Also, nice views back over Stockholm. i had a good lunch at the on-site café.

You can take a taxi to the door, but if you don't mind using the subway and a bus, you can get within easy walking distance.

Posted by
1481 posts

Thanks Kathy and Eric.

The ice bar seems a bit cheesy to me, but I will have to reconsider.

I purchased the Stockholm Pass with travel card so I will take the metro and bus to Millesgarden. I also read the history of the sculptures which I think will add to the experience. I am also planning to have lunch at the cafe.

Posted by
2469 posts

Hi Vandrabrud,
I relate to the difficulty of waiting for the departure date of any trip, I leave 9/02 for the Heart of Ireland in 8 Days - 9/03 - 9/10. Then we fly to London for 5 days!

You mention taking the 17 Days in Italy tour for 2018 or 19, you will love it! I took that tour in Oct. 2016 and it was beyond my expectations. The variety of experiences on this tour gives you a taste of different cities, hill towns and the coast as well as the mountains so that you can pinpoint where you might like to return and spend more time.

Enjoy SCA-0618!

Judy B

Posted by
1481 posts

Thanks Judy.

I am going to wait until just after my Scandinavia trip to decide on Italy for 2018 vs 2019. I'll have to tighten the belt and pull some extra shifts to go next year but it may make it easier to get up in the morning (to go to work).

I like the itinerary with the varied types of stops. If I was choosing the next place to visit using my own influence I would go to Budapest, Bulgaria, or Croatia next. But my husband's favorite city is Florence and he wants me to see it. The tour is listed as strenuous so I want to go before my arthritis gets the best of me!

Every day it gets closer!

I have been putting lapel flag pins on my travelon cross body bag for every country I enter. I went ahead and ordered Sweden, Denmark, and Norway. Will take them with me and put them on during the trip.

Posted by
1481 posts

Flight is in eleven days!
I have packed and my bag weighs 18 pounds. That was my limit, so no last minute things can be added.
I do feel calmer knowing all but the last details are in place.

Posted by
2252 posts

Have a terrific trip, vandrabrud! I went with our some of our tour group to the Ice Bar in Helsinki. Much to my surprise, it was a whole lot of fun and such a unique experience! I suppose it was a bit cheesy but we don't have anything like it anywhere near where I live and I did have fun! Hoping you'll write a trip report when you return and good for you the get your bag down to 18#! I'm still working on reaching my goals....sigh.