Please sign in to post.

RS “Best of Spain” 2023 tour hotels question?

Hello all,
Excited for my September “Best of Spain” RS tour. Question is - could anyone that has taken this tour 2023 post the hotels? I know it varies tour-to-tour but just curious, I saw that for some tours the first posted hotel has changed. ( Portal d’ la’ Angel) I am a solo traveller and very detail oriented. I like to map out where I am going ahead of time, especially for excursions after dark (not many). However- I realize that the hotels may change due to guides preferences. No worries if it’s not the same, however, it helps me and also makes me feel safer being able to map out the hotel location ahead of time while I have the time to do it. Plus- helps to build excitement for an incredible trip!
Thanks all and happy travels!
Lisa

Posted by
322 posts

P.S. I know that I will receive the email with all hotels about a month ahead of time from the Rick Steves office. But just curious if anyone has any input that has done this tour this year. Thank you, thank you!
Lisa

Posted by
4 posts

Here you go. As usual, all hotels on the tour are in terrific locations. Super easy to get around and explore.

Barcelona- K&K Hotel Picasso
Madrid - Hotel Europa Madrid
Toledo - Hotel Eurico
Granada - Hotel Anacapri
Ronda - Hotel Molino del Arco
Arcos - Hotel El Convento
Seville - Hotel Amadeus Seville

The Molino del Arco and Amadeus were both truly special but they were all good.

Posted by
322 posts

Thank you!
I have the same hotel listed as my last hotel in Seville, but had received notice that my first tour hotel in Barcelona is Catalonia Portal De L’Angel.

Thanks again for providing this list! .

Posted by
36 posts

We stayed at Catalonia Portal De L’Angel for our tour in 2017.
We loved it so much we stayed in 2019 again when we returned to Barcelona after our Rick Steves Portugal tour.
The hotel staff were so competent, friendly and obliging on both occasions.
Location is everything, and you are right in the middle of the city, so convenient! Most of the main transport hubs are also within walking distance.
Enjoy the experience!

Posted by
6510 posts

My tour was in 2019, but our first hotel was Puerto de l'Angel and the last was Amadeus. We also stayed at some of the others listed in a previous post -- Europa, Anacapri, Convento. All were fine. You'll get a complete list soon and you can spot them on Google Earth, check out their websites, provide the contact info to others, etc.

Posted by
322 posts

Hi, I received my final hotel list for RS "Best of Spain" and wanted to post my hotels for anyone interested...
Very excited!!

Barcelona: Catalonia Portal de l' Angel
Madrid: Hotel Moderno Madrid
Toledo: Hotel Eurico
Granada: Hotel Anacapri
Ronda: Hotel Molino del Arco
Arcos de la Frontera: 2 hotels listed: Hotel la Casa Grande and Hotel El Convento
Sevilla: Hotel Amadeus Sevilla

Posted by
232 posts

Catalonia Portal de l' Angel was my favorite hotel of all the ones we stayed in! Right in the middle of the action, pool and nice outdoor seating area. Staff is very very nice. Sign up for the rewards program when you check in and you get a free bottle of water!

Their breakfast is GREAT! Hopefully they still have the hot chocolate and OJ machines!

We flew in a couple of days early and did a food tour that started very close to the hotel. If you’d like I’ll look up the name of it. It was a lot of fun

Buy a couple of fans they make great, easy gifts and you’ll want them on the trip!

Posted by
322 posts

Thanks! Yes, I would love the name of the food tour near the hotel.

Posted by
11 posts

We were on the RS best of Spain in May 2023, The 2 hotels listed in Arcos are next to each other , and very small, breakfast and bar and view is on in one hotel. !

Posted by
322 posts

Thank you! On RS “best of Italy” I went on last year it was similar double hotel situation in Cinque Terre, with the group divided between 2 hotels.

I hope I get the hotel with the view in Arcos de La Frontera 😉 🤞

Posted by
13946 posts

I'm so happy you've gotten your hotel list! I like to googlewalk where I'm going to be, lol.

I saw in your OP where you said this: "However- I realize that the hotels may change due to guides preferences."

I wanted to correct that impression because the guides have no say in where the group stays. They may give feedback to the main office either positive or negative after a tour but they do not choose the hotels. Some senior guides may have had prior input on where to stay but the office or whoever they are using for booking hotels (I understand they outsourced some of this this year) does it before the guides are assigned their dates.

Posted by
6510 posts

Both of those hotels in Arcos have the same spectacular view. Not often can you watch birds flying below you.

Posted by
322 posts

Thanks Pam and Dick for your latest replies.
Pam that clears up some questions I had over how does the company choose the hotels.
Dick- that sounds amazing! Above the birds flying.. that sounds like a real treat and something extremely special! I can’t wait!