Please sign in to post.

RS Best of Italy May 11, 2019

Is anyone reading this post in our tour group ? We are getting anxious for the trip !

Posted by
13934 posts

Hi Ernie! I'm not on your tour but what you may find is that many who do Rick's tours don't really know about the forums!

Although I've not done this particular tour, I've done 3 of his that included Italy. You'll have a wonderful time!

I do suggest that for Venice you consider taking in just an overnight bag for your 2 night stay and leave your suitcase in the luggage bay of the bus (it will be safe). You'll go in to your hotel and out again on the vaporetto which can be crowded. Then you'll walk from the vaporetto stop to your hotel which might include going across a few bridges. In Venice these bridges are actually steps not a ramp so if you have a rolling bag you'll have to lift it up and over each time. It's just easier to start out the AM you head to Venice with clean clothes, take a change of top, clean unders, limited toiletries and your electronics and call it done. I was able to get everything into one of my packing cubes and just stuck it in my "bus bag" (used on the bus days for guide book, electronics, snacks, water, jacket, etc).

To me, it's easier to think about this ahead of time rather than in the rush the night before when you are packing up to leave the Dolomites!

Safe travels!

Posted by
7278 posts

Hi Ernie, we’re not in your tour group, but we did take this tour back in 2006. Every location was a “wow” moment for us, and this has been our favorite RS trip. Since that trip, we have returned to almost every one of those locations by ourselves for multiple days on subsequent trips, so that speaks highly of how much you will enjoy your entire trip.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Pam! Thank you so much for the useful information. I am traveling pretty light with a backpack, but my wife is using a carry on roller which I now understand could be a hassle. Especially since I will most likely end up carrying hers and mine, ha ha. We also each have small day bags that we can utilize as you suggested.Thanks again, and many happy and safe travels to you!

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Jean! Thanks for the response. In the past I’ve tried to visit different places on each trip,just to expand my horizons a bit and explore different places. But as I study Italy and hear about other people’s experiences, I find myself thinking I will have to return as well. Thanks again for your feedback and happy and safe travels to you!

Posted by
7278 posts

Yes, we like to see some of our favorites more in depth and always add some new towns and at least one non-touristy town in each itinerary. After each trip we love our favorites even more and our “favorites list” just keeps getting longer!

Posted by
13934 posts

Hahaha....I SO agree with Jean!!

At the introductory meet-up, my guide Dimitri said ... “For anyone who has been to Paris and didn’t enjoy it, I will make you love it.” I had visited Paris in the 1970’s and did not enjoy the experience. Well, I’m not sure if it was just the power of Dimitri’s words or some magic on his part but I just got home from my...what?? 5th trip back? Very crazy! I’ve generally spent 8-10 nights at a time there!

Took the GAS tour because I loved Switzerland so much on that way-too-short 2-night stay. Did Village Italy because I wanted more of the smaller towns!

You get the drift!