Please sign in to post.

Rome Colosseum

We are going on the RS 7 Day tour of Rome. Does anyone know if it includes the unground areas of the Colosseum?

Posted by
5581 posts

Our RS Rome tour did not include the underground area of the Colosseum.

Posted by
13943 posts

I’ve been on several tours of the Colosseum on various RS tours and none included the underground areas. TBH, there is so much to see with the combined tour of the Colosseum and Forum that there is not time.

If this is a critical element for you, you could try to book it before or after the 7-day tour. As indicated this is seemingly a tough ticket to get which would be another reason the tour doesn’t go there.

Posted by
15810 posts

Mignon, there is so much to see in Rome that I personally wouldn't spend the time and $ to make a return trip to the Colosseum just for the underground. Honestly, the tickets which include it are difficult and/or expensive to get, and those tours spend so little time in that area that, IMHO, it's a better use of your free time to explore some attractions not covered by the RS tour at all.

You will be able to see down into the areas not covered by the partial arena floor from points above.

Posted by
8 posts

If you are really into ancient Roman history like me, you may want to add an extra day or two to your stay in Rome. I booked the Colosseum Underground Tour with Get Your Guide and enjoyed it very much. It is 3 hours long and only for the true lover of history. The guide was great and very knowledgeable. Another tour I would suggest you can do on your own with Get Your Guide is the tour of Domus Aurea, Nero's Golden Palace in the Palatine Hill. You can only see this with a tour. You will get a great tour of Rome with Rick Steves' Tour and it will make you want to return again. There is so much to see and enjoy.

Posted by
15810 posts

Another tour I would suggest you can do on your own with Get Your
Guide is the tour of Domus Aurea

Personally, I'd suggest ordering your tickets from the official website versus 3rd-party GetYourGuide. They do not operate the tours themselves but are just a clearing house for other company's tours, and usually with a mark-up.

That official website is here:
https://colosseo.it/en/tickets/domus-aurea/

On that site you can book a tour in English for € 19.00 ($21.28). The longer of two GetYourGuide tours is running $66.25.