Please sign in to post.

Rome...climbing Dome in St. Peter's Basilica

One of my must do's is climb up to the top of the Dome in St. Peter's Basilica. I don't know if there will be time to do this while on V/F/R tour with Rick Steve's at the Vatican so I am so seeing which is better option:

1. Return on a separate day after tour ends and pay the 5 euros
  2. Book another tour of st Peter's basilica which gain access to this
  3. Take a chance we will be able to fit in the climb

My worry is that without a skip the line type of tour we will waste time in line. I understand cost difference but I wonder if they give us enough time to fit this kind of experience in...

Any other options I am not thinking of...please feel free to share...thanks!

Posted by
23267 posts

Same question with answers running under the Italy section in Q and A.

Posted by
2 posts

When we finished our Vatican tour this year in March we were tired, it was raining, and the lines to St. Peter's were a mile long. Even going in 1 hour early with the breakfast booking, we had to fight our way through crushing (literally!) crowds on the way back through the Vatican museum. We decided to come back another day for St. Peter's.

When we did, we took a cab to the eastern end of the Sant'Angelo bridge first thing in the morning. The rising sun turned the bridge and Castel Sant'Angelo golden orange. There was only a street sweeper on the bridge. Following the road, we entered St. Peter's square from the front and had a perfect view of the sun-lit buildings. After the Vatican tour we had come from the side and missed all of that. The first impression was 180 degrees the opposite of what we had seen earlier. The line was extremely short and we had enough energy for the climb, because even with the elevator there are still a LOT of steps left. We used the Rick Steves audio tour guide inside St. Peter's, which was more than enough.

I'd recommend spending the time after the Vatican tour doing something more leisurely. The crowds and the many impressions to process can be a bit overwhelming.

Posted by
11179 posts

You do not specify which tour you are on, but a quick check of an itinerary that includes Rome and personal experience, is that the RS tour at the Vatican ends around noon and the rest of the day is your free time. This give you plenty of time to do the dome.

We paid the fee for the elevator. Definitely worth it.

I do not recall seeing a skip the line alternative for the dome. You just get in line , pay the fee then wait your turn for the elevator.

When we went the lines moved at a reasonable pace and did not feel like we wasted an inordinate amount of time for our turn.

Posted by
11613 posts

Frank, I think I suggested posting here so she could get responses from people who took the tour.

Posted by
3843 posts

You do not need to go through the Basilica to get to the dome. It is a separate entrance on the left side, past the bathrooms (looking towards the Basilica). On the roof, after the elevator before you climb the rest of the stairs, there is a cafe, bathroom, and lovely souvenir shop. It has the best gold prices.

Posted by
7209 posts

Barbara has it exactly correct. Access to the Dome is NOT from within the Basilica.

Posted by
1103 posts

The top of Castel Sant'Angelo also offers nice views of Rome without the crowds.

Posted by
99 posts

I just did the climb yesterday. I did a Walks of Italy tour, but the key to whatever tour you are on is to not leave past the point where you have to go through security again. We did Sistine, then museums, then basilica, and the basilica is fairly relaxed compared to the first parts, so doing a climb is not too grueling imo, although I will say I was surprised at how packed the top was. They really need to regulate the entries imo. In hindsight, I could take or leave the dome climb.

Posted by
54 posts

We had time for the dome climb on our Rick Steves V/F/R tour. We basically had time to choose either the dome or the crypt but not both.