Please sign in to post.

RICK STEVES TURKEY 2019 TOUR (Questions for those who recently took RS Turkey tour)

Good morning,

I have ALWAYS wanted to visit Turkey and I thought the best way to see this beautiful country is to take the RS 13-Day tour in April 2019 (a birthday gift to myself as well!). I understand that I must purchase a visa prior to my trip to Turkey. How far in advance do I need to purchase the visa? I would love to hear the experiences from folks who have recently taken this RS tour.

Thank you!

Patti

Patricia,
As Joe sent you the link for the evisa process for Turkey. It’s super easy I just did mine this week. I’m booked on the October 15 Tour, so excited now that it’s 6 weeks away. Everyone I know who has been say they loved Turkey.
You will be glad too. I hope to write a trip report on my experience.

Posted by
54 posts

Thank you Joe for the visa information and thank you Judy regarding how "easy" the process was (looking forward to reading about your trip report!).

Best,

Patti

Posted by
2073 posts

We did the tour just before they stopped doing them a couple of years ago. We loved it! The people were friendly and the food wonderful!

Posted by
15576 posts

I took the tour 4 years ago. I highly recommend spending at least 2 nights in Istanbul pre-tour to adjust to the time change and get over jetlag. There's a lot to see in the city and the RS tours only goes to a few of the highlights. You may also want to spend more time in Istanbul post-tour.

Enoy! (and save up for the balloon ride - one of the highlights of the tour)

Posted by
54 posts

Thank you for your kind response Chani. I will be traveling during my Spring break so I will definitely plan on being in Istanbul at least a day ahead of the tour (and hopefully will have time to stay an additional day on the way home).

I understand that you did this particular trip a few years ago, and prices may have changed, but do you recall if the price for the hot air balloon was terribly pricey (I'm still planning on doing this, but I was just curious)?

Thank you again for your response.

Best,

Patti

Posted by
15576 posts

I can't remember how much. I'm sure it was more than 200 but I don't know if that was dollars or euros.

Posted by
57 posts

We took this tour in 2012 and I am sure prices and procedures most likely have changed but we spent $451. for 2 adults for the balloon ride (they accepted credit cards) and our visa was $20. per person. We purchased the visa at the airport when we landed - it was easy and all the necessary details/steps were provided in writing by the RS office.
It was a wonderful trip and the balloon ride was one of the highlights for us.

Posted by
54 posts

Thank you Chani and JF - Yes, it appears that I will definitely be saving up for that balloon ride (it's pricey, but I am definitely planning on doing this!).

Patti

Posted by
54 posts

Hi JF,

I am planning on flying in at LEAST a day prior to the start of the tour and I'm looking at various hotels (in case I cannot book a room in the RS tour hotel). I was curious if you did the same thing, where did you stay (RS tour hotel or another one?). Additionally, did the hotel provide an airport shuttle or did you taxi (I noticed that many of the hotels provide an airport service for an additional charge).

Thank you in advance!

Patti

Posted by
54 posts

Hi Judy,

Thank you for your response.

Did you also book the RS 2019, 13-day tour of Turkey in April? I agree, the airport service is well worth the cost (and you're right, it's not going to break the bank).

Patti

Posted by
54 posts

Hi Judy,

Wow, how exciting! Have a wonderful (safe!) time and I look forward to hearing all about your trip to Turkey!

Best,

Patti