Please sign in to post.

Are Rick Steves Tours Just for Americans?

Gday all,

This is probabaly a stupid question.

Are the Rick Steves tours just for Americans or can any nationality travel on these tours?

We are an Australian couple at the start of the planning of a European trip, and Rick Steves tours has pricked our interest on a group tour.

Cheers

Rob

Posted by
166 posts

Not a stupid question, but I am sure Rick would welcome anyone on his tours. I would encourage you to try the “backdoor” philosophy, it makes travel truly fun & enlightened.

Posted by
210 posts

Go! Have had Australians on my tours......and numerous Canadians. Cheers!

Posted by
2252 posts

Agreed-do go! We had so much fun with our tour for Eastern Europe last summer/fall. One Australian couple from Sydney, four Canadians and some Americans from the East Coast, even! Our guide was born and raised in Hungary. So much fun and I must say It was the best mix of people I've enjoyed on a RS tour. I think you'll enjoy it!

Posted by
2299 posts

The tours are open to all, but are conducted exclusively in English (unless you happen to get a local guide who speaks another language). Just remember you'll pay for the tour in US dollars, which isn't in your favor at the moment.

Posted by
6265 posts

Go! The tours are great. We've been on tours with several Canadians, as well as Filipinos. We've also had fellow travelers who were born in the Middle East (Iran, Syria) but now live in the US.

Haven't met any Australians on our tours yet, but we'd love to!

Posted by
3514 posts

They would be happy to have you! I have been on 10 RS tours so far and have lost track of all the places the tour members have been from.

The most difficult thing for you will be paying for the trip in US dollars. This means payment will need to be made via bank wire transfer or credit card unless you have a bank account in the US you can write a check from.

Posted by
8 posts

Cheers guys, the replies make me happy.

Will push on with the planning. Might see you on a tour 😁

Rob

Posted by
3961 posts

Great question! We have taken multiple RS Tours and have met like traveler's from around the world. Like others, we embrace the RS philosophy. Welcome aboard! P

Posted by
891 posts

Rob,

We've been on 7 RS tours and hope to see you on one in the future!
If we don't see you, Have a Great Time!

Posted by
2094 posts

Hi Rob, we met a very nice couple from New Zealand on a Rick Steves Eastern France tour in 2016. They were spending 6 months in Europe and England and doing 4 back-to-back Rick Steves tours. We really enjoyed meeting them and had a number of interesting conversations. I hope you do decide to do a tour!

Posted by
996 posts

We had a lovely lady from New Zealand on our first RS tour. I believe they are open to all!

Posted by
25 posts

Please go, your tour members will love you.

Posted by
80 posts

I hope you do go! RS travelers are usually extremely curious, so your point of view could only add to the experience. I know that an Australian family made an online scrapbook in 2014 for the Family Tour, if you want to read a more local take on Rick's tours:
https://europefamilydream.weebly.com/

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it.

We are convinced it is the right way to go, just got to confirm which trip to do now....and when.

21 Day europe
14 day europe
or 17 Day Italian trip.

Hope to see you guys further down the road. :)

Cheers from a Very thirsty Rob...42 Celcius here today.

Posted by
32173 posts

Rob,

Although I'm a bit late getting into the discussion, RS tours are for anyone that wants to learn something about the culture and history of the places they're visiting, wants to travel with an inquisitive group of nice people and have a great holiday experience. There were two couples from India on one of my tours, so they're definitely not just for Americans.

I've been on eight RS tours and would highly recommend them. You'll have to be prepared to carry your own luggage, but that's essential exercise as you'll be eating very well on the tours.

Posted by
610 posts

That's a hard choice! We did the 17 day Italy trip last year, and the itinerary was just about perfect! Everyone seems to have nothing but great things to say about the 21 day tour too. Not sure if you know about the scrapbooks, but if you search for "scrapbooks" at the top of the page, you can look through the websites tour goers have made. That helps me decide on a tour, as I love looking at their pictures and experiences. You can't go wrong, you'll have fun either way!

Posted by
13809 posts

If you have the time and budget, go for the 21 Best of Europe. I've loved all my tours but this one was the best. I'm still in touch with about a dozen tour members from when I took it in 2014. To me the group bonds more with 3 weeks. Plan to get to Amsterdam/Haarlem several nights ahead of time. Not only is there a lot to see but you'll want time to recover from jet lag. If you can swing it, stay for several nights in Paris afterwards too!

Posted by
50 posts

I had a lady from Australia on the Eastern Europe tour in 2015. And there are usually people from Canada.

Posted by
32521 posts

Cheers from a Very thirsty Rob...42 Celcius here today.

I've got 42 today. Sometimes it is 4 Celcius, sometimes it is 2. Just at the moment, 3 and hail. It was 4 and hail a couple of hours ago.

Posted by
2 posts

My reply is a bit late, but I wanted to mention that I have done 7 RS tours and I am from Argentina (living in the US for a few years but Argentinian) and I have loved the RS tours. One time my friend from Paraguay came along and she also loved it.

Posted by
40 posts

Hi Rob. I am from Sydney, Australia and I loved the Rick Steves Best of Sicily tour in 2015. I was made to feel very welcome and made some great friends from the group, one of whom I am travelling with again this year. I visited my “buddy”from the tour group and we made the pilgrimage to Edmonds to visit the Rick Steves store. He wasn’t there at the time, but I met him in Florence when I was staying at the same hotel- I have the photo to prove it. I highly recommend it

Posted by
36 posts

2 Aussies here that took the Spain tour last September ...do it, you'll only have one regret, if you don't!!
We met a wonderful group of people from the length and breadth of the States, and Canadians as well.

Yes, it was a tad tricky making payment, & the "money" to purchase goods in the Rick Steves' shop doesn't go far when you factor in international shipping costs, but the friendships we made outweighs all that!

Most of our friends at home had no idea who Rick Steve's was, and the joke was..."So, who are you taking the tour with?", "Rick Steves'" we would reply. "Yeah, but what is the name of the tour company?". "Rick Steves'" "So are you having a private tour?"
Don't remember the number of times we had that conversation!! Such a laugh!

Sometimes we had to explain what we meant when we asked for things such as a "roast chook" or other Aussie words, but that only made it more fun, & an education for the Americans. In general, they were very interested in our country, and spent many dinners conversing & comparing attitudes & lifestyles.

Posted by
8 posts

Yes that would be fun im sure...honestly thanks for all the reassurances, means a lot.

On with the planning we go :)

Rob

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi, Rob. When I select tours, I try to look at the bus time. Generally, I prefer those with less bus time. I have not looked at the tours you are considering. I know sometimes folks do one or more of the shorter tours back to back, if that appeals. It can open up the spectrum of locations. Or maybe it makes it too complicated? I know for the longer tours, I often need a vacation from my vacation, so a slight break in between two tours would appeal to me. Another factor is the number of nights in one location. Try to minimize the one night tours - IMO.

Enjoy the planning!