Please sign in to post.

Prague/Budapest

I am doing the 9/10/23 R.S. tour.
If anyone is also going on this tour I am happy to meet you here.
If anyone is familiar with these cities and have recommendations
for me in my spare time Rest./Cafe's/ towns to visit especially around Budapest
I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Rob g.

Posted by
406 posts

I hope you hear from someone but it would be surprising as most people who go on tours don’t know the forum exists. I’m going on the Oct 22 Prague Budapest tour. Getting pretty excited. I just scheduled a WW2 walking tour in Prague.

Posted by
1803 posts

In Prague I had a nice lunch and dessert at Cafe Louvre. It’s a short walk away from old town.

https://www.cafelouvre.cz/en

In Budapest the local guide pointed out this place. I stopped by later for a coffee and pastry.

https://gerbeaud.hu/en/#hero

If you want to visit the Hungarian parliament the English tours sell out fairly quickly. Best to book in advance. Enjoy the tour. Both cities are fantastic.

Posted by
17927 posts

for me in my spare time Rest./Cafe's/ towns to visit especially around
Budapest

I would love to suggest Szentendre to visit. 35 min Train up, hour boat back, but you dont have the time. I hope you are spending at least one extra day. As for cafes, see below and let us know when you have the name of your hotel.

Maybe someone else will be good and do Prague for you.

Here is my take on the Budapest part of the RS Tour. https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/czech-republic/prague-budapest-2023
Once you know the hotel, if you want, there are people here that can help you plan things to do to and from the RS organized portions of the tour. Sounds like at least half your time is on your own, and with so little time in Budapest might be worth the effort to plan a little.

Day 5: On to Budapest.

The day starts with a 7-hour drive to Budapest. Then an hour at least to get checked in. So, if you left at 8 am it would be 4pm before anything in Budapest happens. Pest really can’t be done in a walking tour in maybe 3 hours after all day on a bus so you aren’t going to see much. After the walk everyone goes to eat together. Figure 8 to 9pm before you go to bed? (I know wild guess) …. Or if the hotel is well located maybe an evening walk.

The itinerary says be prepared to walk hills; there aren’t any in Pest. And it says 2 to 6 miles of walking and I am going to bet no more than two.

Day 6: Bustling Budapest

The itinerary says no bus, but I bet you are bussed to the Castle District for a brief tour because the cooking class will take a couple of hours then there is lunch. After that you are in Buda and on your own. It may be implied that they will bring you back to Pest and leave you at the Market Hall, but not sure. Either is fine. Look for things that interest you or know how to get back to Pest and are near or around the Market Hall. The evening you have the one-hour cruise so look for a place to eat afterwards not far from District V or far if you take the time to learn the public transportation. But plan it.

If you walk up to Buda Castle, then it is a steep climb. Once there it is flat. Doubt you will walk more than 2 miles in Buda plus a mile back and forth to Pest if you walk it.

You will need an evening activity. The theater? Concert? Jazz maybe?

Day 7: Elegance of Empire

This day the morning opera house tour. They start the private groups at 9am so let’s say, 9 to 10am. Then you ride the M1 to Heroes’ Square. Plus, some explanation. Figure you will be free by 11 or 12 at the latest. Lunchtime and the rest of the day on your own. I suggest http://paprikavendeglo.hu/angol/ for lunch since you are pretty much there.

Now, what to do with the rest of the day? My suggestion would be to walk Andrassy to the end and then take the tram to the Great Synagogue and maybe get a guide for Jewish Budapest.

Evening is a RS Farwell Dinner. So that will tie you up for the evening I presume.

Day 8: Tour Over After Breakfast

Nothing on tour after breakfast.

You have seen so little of Budapest, I hope you are spending another day or two? If not you are heading to the airport.