Please sign in to post.

Portugal Itinerary

My husband and I are traveling to Lisbon on 4/6/23 and returning on 4/15/23. We prefer scenery, food, wine and people. Our interests are Porto, Douro Valley, Sintra and the Algarve area such as Lagos. Limited interest in the big city of Lisbon. Wondering if we should attempt this with our 9 day itinerary. Using trains for the long distance destinations and tours while in the specific towns.
Thanks,
Betsy Gershman

Posted by
11156 posts

Lisbon doesn’t give you a big city feel. Historic buildings, hills. We spent nine nights there before touring the rest of Portugal.

Posted by
6113 posts

Sorry but you can’t fit this into 8 days excluding arrival and departure days unless you want to spend lots of time in transit rather than actually seeing places. I would drop the Algarve - a car is the best way to explore here.

Lisbon is charming and doesn’t have a big city feel.

Posted by
3161 posts

Another vote to drop the Algarve - being a summer resort in April it might be quite dead. Lisbon is a unique city and you would be remiss not exploring it.

Posted by
199 posts

I would spend the 9 days in Lisbon/Portugal, you will have plenty to do and see.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you so much everyone for your very informative responses. I will definitely heed the consistent advice and visit only the areas of Lisbon and Porto. Algarve will have to wait for the next time.
Betsy

Posted by
138 posts

We will be going to Portugal in September and will try to get to Sintra, an easy train trip from Lisbon and I believe you can do as a day trip as well.