Please sign in to post.

Porto ideas after Rick Steves' tour

Tour ends in early October. We are two very active older woman who will be staying on in Porto for 5 nights. Thinking of staying an additional night in Porto taking a day trip somewhere. They move to
Vina do Castelo near the water. We like to wonder and explore stopping for a glass of wine while people watching! We are just beginning to explore options. Any suggestions to consider?

Posted by
2455 posts

Carolyn, after the wonderful RS Best of Portugal tour in 2016, I stayed an additional 4 nights in Porto, and actually did 3 “ day trips”. I went on my own by train to Guimaraes, birthplace of Portugal. It was on and off a rainy day, and my day was OK, but not very special. Another day I took a day-long van tour called “Tras-os-Montes and Alto Douro” which I found wonderful. It explored a rural area not often visited, including two lovely farm/winery visits with the farm families, wine tastings and snacks, a very nice lunch, and stops at a couple country estates and gardens, including the Mateus estate. And lots of countryside. A great day! The final day I took a van tour to Santiago de Compostela, with time in the lovely and vital cathedral, and a stop at another town on the way back. A nice trip, but lots and lots,of hours in transit in the van. Then I had one other day, poking around Porto, photographing, with time for port tasting and dinner on the other side of the river from Porto itself.

Posted by
210 posts

I took a day trip via train to Braga. Bom Jesus is a major pilgrimage site in Braga.

Posted by
1582 posts

Carolyn - How about a trip to the Douro Valley to do some wine tasting and village exploring. It's near Porto. Pinhão would be your best option. It's one of the most important villages in the Valley, as it used to be one of the many river ports from where Port wine was shipped to Porto. Plenty of wineries and accommodation out and about, and the train from Porto stops there.

https://www.travel-in-portugal.com/douro-valley

Posted by
15582 posts

Aveiro is easy by train. I thought the shops had nicer stuff and slightly better prices for typical Portuguese items, lots of pretty art deco buildings and an interesting canal tour.