Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest reservations?

We will be attending Oktoberfest with a RS tour group in Sept. Does RS make reservations for us to have a table while there, or should we make our own reservations? Just don't want to be unprepared since I have read that you can only be served while sitting at a table and that reservations are needed to get a table. TIA!

Posted by
20072 posts

You only would want reservations for an evening table. I notice that the Sept 16-28 "Best of Germany" tour has a note:

Opportunity to enjoy Munich Oktoberfest festivities!

So I might assume they have something in mind. Contact the Tour Department for details.

Posted by
8437 posts

Read the words literally - "...opportunity to enjoy Oktoberfest . . . " When we did GAS, it was a voluntary daytime activity not a guided activity. We were led to the fairgrounds, oriented, and then left on our own, to get back whenever we chose. There were no tent reservations, nor any need for them, since it was daytime, the tents enormous, and all of us wandering around as individuals. Its hard to explain, but the beer tents are only a part of the experience, and the tents are not like being in a restaurant. Those tables that are reserved are usually for the evening and for large groups. Sit anywhere you want in any of the tents that you want.

Posted by
26 posts

Stan, it looks like we will have the "oppportunity" to visit Oktoberfest on a Saturday. Given that it will be opening weekend, do you still think we won't need reservations unless we want to go at night?
Thank you!

Posted by
8437 posts

If you try to go as one big group of 25 in the evening to one specific tent, then maybe. But as a group of two or four, I don't think they'll make them that small. I think your best answer would be to ask the group leader for guidance before you get there. On our tour, not everyone wanted to go at all, and many did not stay to eat and drink, so it would be hard to predict a group. Since there are several choices of tents, it would be easier to spread out. Part of the fun is wandering around, and checking out the various tents (we liked the one with the roast ox) before deciding on one. Its hard to describe how big these tents are, and how the seating is more like a church social - folding tables and chairs, with a band in the middle and a core area of drinking and singing. We just sat at an empty table and had no problem getting served. But yes, it was a weekday afternoon.

Posted by
20072 posts

Opening Saturday is a big deal. It'll be packed. The few big tent websites I've looked at say, "We are no longer accepting reservations." So you may have to go with a tour/reseller. When I was at opening Saturday 25 years ago, we managed to find seats at an out door table. Get there at least 2 hours early.