Please sign in to post.

Navigating Dublin with Current Road Construction

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our BOE tour 2 years ago and now are venturing out on our on in Ireland, with this site and Rick's book in hand! I would greatly appreciate some insight from this group (I also posted to the Travel Forum).

My husband and I and our 15-year-old son will be in Dublin on Tue, July 18 and Wed, July 19th, leaving Thursday AM to other parts of Ireland. We've been reading about some nasty traffic bottlenecks going on now in Dublin due to road construction, which is causing delays for the Hop-On/Off bus tours.

Question for anyone who has recently been in Dublin - do you recommend getting around via a HOHO bus or taxi for the 3 of us (in addition to walking)? If HOHO, which one (I see 3 main companies on TripAdvisor).

We are staying at the Bushwells Hotel (near St. Stephen's Green) and would like to see the following:
1.either Saint Patrick's or Christ Church Cathedral
2.Kilmainham Gaol (we have 1:30 reservation Wed)
3.Guinness Storehouse
4.Trinity College/Book of Kells
5.National Museum: Archaeology
6.Brazen Heads Pub Dinner Show (we have reservation Wed evening)
7.Temple Bar area
8.Croke Park GAA Museum
9.O'Connell Street area
10.(Maybe) Dublin Castle

Greatly appreciate suggestions on the best way to get to these places!

Also - if there are any other highlights you recommend we'd see/visit during our brief stay in Dublin, please let me know.

Thank you.
Suzette

Posted by
3951 posts

We were just in Dublin and walked to most of the places on your list from our hotel near St. Stevens Green. I think the two places I'd take a taxi to would be the Guinness experience and Croke Park although on an earlier trip we walked from Trinity College to the Guinness Storehouse.

Road construction is an issue more on the south side of the Liffey as they are expanding the tram tracks around Connell Bridge. We didn't have our rental car in Dublin. We picked it up on our way out of Dublin the first week we were there and dropped it off at the airport as we came back to the city at the end of our trip.

You will need to pick and choose from your list with only 2 days in Dublin. Enjoy!

Posted by
545 posts

I was in Dublin 2 years ago and also stayed near St. Stephen's Green on the south side of the green. I haven't been to all the places on your list, but here's my 2 cents. First, doubtful you can do all the things on your list in 2 days, especially since you already have a couple of reservations.

St. Patrick's is beautiful - try to go if you have time.
Take a taxi to Kilmainham Gaol - we walked there from St. Stephen's and it took about 40 minutes. We took a taxi back!
Haven't been to Guinness, but you can buy beer anywhere. They charge quite a bit for admission.
Trinity College is nice, Book of Kells is underwhelming. It's quite crowded, the book is only open in one place, you walk around it and you're done. We took a student-led tour of the college, which was good.
National Museum is a must, in my opinion. It was fascinating and free. They have Viking artifacts, Celtic gold, and the "bog bodies" that were found in the peat. Allow at least 2 hours for that. Also a pretty good restaurant in the museum.
Temple Bar is fun to walk around, if you have time.

Hope this helps, have a wonderful time! I loved Dublin and plan to go back some day.

Posted by
82 posts

Thanks Kathy and Mona for your helpful posts! We are really looking forward to our first trip to Ireland.

Suzette

Posted by
1103 posts

We were in Dublin in May of 2017. We stayed in Dun Laoghaire, which is south of Dublin, and visited the city for a day. One of the guests in our B&B had unused passes for one of the HOHO buses, so we used them. There were no unusual traffic issues, and the bus was a good way to get to some of the outlying areas.

Posted by
330 posts

Hello,
I was just in Dublin this past June.
Yes, the construction isn't the best, but it seems that Dubliners are dealing with it.

I have been to Dublin twice and have not used the hop on hop off buses.
So easy to walk around.
The only things that I didn't do where the Kilmainham Gaol and the Guinness Storehouse.
I did look into going to the storehouse and I was going to take a tram there, just ran out of time.

I have done a couple of day tours over these two visits.
1) used Wild Rover tours to go to the Giants Causeway and a trip to Kilkenny and Wicklow area
2) Extreme Irish day tours to go to the Celtic Boyne Area.

Whatever you decide to do will be an adventure. Have fun!

Posted by
82 posts

Thanks, Bob and Northwest Adventurer. We're counting down the days to our visit! And also closely following Rick Steves as he posts about being in Ireland right now.

Posted by
84 posts

Any idea when all the construction on the tram will be done?