Please sign in to post.

My Way Italy

On the itinerary it recommends bringing a swimsuit. Where will we be swimming in October? Also, are there any tickets we need to get in advance in Lake Como, Assisi, Cinque Terre?

Posted by
434 posts

Unless one of your hotels has a pool, it looks to me like the only place you might swim is in the Cinque Terre area. We were there one October during our Best of Italy tour, and some people went in the sea. We just rolled up our hiking trousers and waded. The folks from Florida thought the water was very cold, but since we are used to the chilly Pacific, the water felt fine to us.

Posted by
33 posts

We have been in Italy during October a few times. Check the hotels you will be staying at once you get the list. Most of the places we stayed at during October the pool was closed. We were at Lake Orta during October once and it wasn’t what I would call swimming weather. It was lovely weather but not my kind of swimming weather. When we were in Cinque Terre during October it didn’t seem like swimming weather either. We live in central California so we are used to warm water in swimming pools and kind of ok temperature water in Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara and Southern CA beaches. Last year we were in Vieste, Italy during October and I was wishing I had my bathing suit. If your suit doesn’t take up much room in your suitcase and you love to swim, think positive and pack it.

Posted by
479 posts

We took this same My Way tour last fall, and we were in the Cinque Terre on Sept. 30 and Oct. 1. It was hot and crowded in the villages. We had booked a sunset and aperitifs cruise from 3:00-7:00, There were two opportunities to swim, off the coast of Monterosso and Riomaggiore. We all jumped in! Some thought it was cool, but it felt great and so refreshing to me. (I’m from Michigan, and was the last one to get back into the boat! :-) ) Our captain provided pool noodles and snorkel gear to use. It was a relief to us to escape the crowds, and we had lovely views of all five towns from the water…a highlight of that part of our trip.

Others from our tour swam and waded at the beach near our hotel. A swimsuit doesn’t take up much room, and maybe you’d be glad to use it if it was hot! None of our hotels had pools.

I’d highly recommend Marco’s tour. He was a really interesting local man, with lots of history to share, and poetry painted around his boat. The experience was memorable for us, including the foods and beverages he provided.

https://rosadeiventiboattours.com/en/

It was hot - in the 80’s for most of the rest of our trip, which ended in Rome with extra days post tour, then we went to Orvieto before flying home. I was surprised- thought it would cool down. Then about a week after we got home, the temps dropped dramatically and they had torrential rains and some flooding in the CT.

So I guess it depends on when you’ll go in October, but I thought I’d share our experience with that particular tour and timing. We loved that tour…hope you do, too.

Laurie