Please sign in to post.

My Way Alpine Tour

Hi all,

This question is for anyone who has or will be taking the Rick Steves' My Way Alpine Tour. Which attraction/train tickets should I be purchasing ahead of time to avoid wasting time in lines? So far I have Neuschwanstein Castle and Aiguille du Midi gondola on my list. I am also open to any other recommendations/must sees during the tour.

Thank you!

Posted by
158 posts

When are you going?
I'm on the 7/10 tour. I just bought my neuschwanstein tix. There weren't many english guided tours left, just the self guided audio tours, so I probably shouldn't have waited so long for that.
I don't think I'm doing the Aiguille du midi so I haven't looked into that.
I don't think there's really anything else that needs to be prebooked.
Maybe the eagles nest if you're doing that?

Posted by
24 posts

I wouldn’t book the Aiguille du Midi tickets until you get there and see the weather. I did the My Way Alpine last year and we were fortunate to have a good day to go up the lift the day we got there so purchased tickets and went up right away before it could cloud over. No sense going up if the weather is cloudy on top. They will tell you at the bottom before you buy a ticket if it is clear or cloudy on top. You will have several days in Chamonix to find a window to go up. No one had advance purchased tickets. No other tickets besides the Castle were needed.

Posted by
10 posts

@lamb616 I'm on the June 12th tour. I did book the Neuschwanstein Castle guided tour. I was interested in the Eagle's Nest but Google was showing it as closed. I just realized it was closed for the winter and ticket sales open on May 12th. I'll be booking that as well. Do you have any other places you'll be hitting? Perhaps I can add it to my list.

Posted by
10 posts

@shuiby524 Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I will hold off booking those tickets. Any other places you would recommend checking out?

Posted by
82 posts

How are you flying in to Salzburg…….I’m on the my way alpine tour later this summer and I’m wondering if it might be better to fly into Munich …..all the flights I find to Salzburg are 19 hours up……

Posted by
35 posts

We are on the July 5 tour. We are flying into Munich and taking the train to Salzburg.

Posted by
10 posts

@Jen I am flying into Vienna and then taking the train from there the following day. It’ll be a 2.5-3 hour train ride. I’ve always wanted to visit Vienna so it worked out for me.

Posted by
158 posts

@ramughal2

just various mountains and such. Nothing I need to book in advance, I don't think. As it gets closer I'm going to watch the tickets for Grindelwald First and make sure those dont start to sell out in advance. I havent read that they do, but I just want to be sure.

Posted by
158 posts

I'm flying into Salzburg. It was only a couple hours longer than flying into Munich.

Posted by
10 posts

@lamb616 Grindewald First looks amazing. I’ve been to Jungfraujoch but this looks pretty nice with the cliff walk. Will be adding this to my itinerary!

Posted by
158 posts

@ramughal2
yes, the 2 flying things look fun, I cant wait! The Cliff walk looks amazing as well.

Posted by
10 posts

@Lamb616 I have a feeling I will chicken out when I see those flying rides. But who knows, might take a chance :D super excited for this trip!

Posted by
151 posts

Absolutely loved this tour - did it in Fall 2019 - I booked Neuschwanstein Castle, Eagles Nest, and the Sound of Music before I left the States. I did book Dachau and a walking tour when I arrived in Munich for my pre-tour vacation. I would do this trip again - it is absolutely wonderful. You will have a great time.

Posted by
22 posts

Fantastic tour. We also pre booked Sound of Music tour. Sells out fast. There is also a Salzburg museum pass you can pre buy for convenience. We went last May, you will love it!

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for the recommendations! Any leads on which Sound of Music tour is good? I see a bunch online

Posted by
49 posts

I joined (or at least asked to join) the FB group. I am going on the 7/5-7/16 group. Afterwards, I am meeting up with my sister in Annecy. She is an ex-ex-pat, so she will know the area well. I am for sure going to the museum in Italy, but all I know for sure. Mostly I will be taking hikes and sketching. I do watercolor sketching and it's my favorite activity. Oh. yeah, I see someone else in that group. I am also flying into Munich. I think 1-2 days ahead, and am flying out of Denver (I like in Albuquerque).

Posted by
48 posts

Regarding the Sound of Music tour. I strongly suggest the Fraulein Maria Tour. Done it twice, 2nd time just 2 weeks ago. Here is a comparison. The SOM bus tours are like a big bus tour, Cosmos, and the like, versus Fraulein Maria which is more like Steve's Tour.

Posted by
62 posts

I went on this tour last year. Definitely purchase your Neuschwanstein ticket in advance. I bought a Sound of Music tour in advance too, did this bicycle tour and loved it!

https://www.mariasbicycletours.com/

I would wait on the gondola/lift/cable car tickets until you know what the weather will be like, things can change quite quickly. It's a great trip, have a blast!