Please sign in to post.

Mid October 2017 Week in Belgium or Portugal? Weather,comments, experiences and advice appreciated!

Hi, I have a week in mid October to travel and I am considering between Belgium and Portugal. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has been to either of these places at this time of year and would very much appreciate any comments/advice. There will be two of us traveling and we are planning to rent a car. We would both enjoy walking tours, cooking classes, wine or other spirits tastings, visits to farms or other special adventures. We love wandering, exploring, dining, landscape and really appreciate culturally unique experiences to particular places. Thanks so much for any help!!

Posted by
3159 posts

I've been to Portugal in October and found the weather to be comfortable. Temperatures ranged from night time lows in the mid 50's to highs in the mid 70’s. Lisbon is a great city to wander around. I'd recommend a drive to Evora where you could visit the nearby monoliths as well as see the Roman ruins in the city itself. I also had a unique experience in the disused town of Castelo Rodrigo. I stayed at a B&B called Casa da Cisterna. The owner offers tours at dusk to the Coa Natural Park where she will explain the Prehistoric settlement of the valley and show you the Paleolithic era engravings in the rock faces. From there, you can easily drive north to the Douro wine growing region. You could spend a night in one of the fincas in the Duoro valley and then go west to the city of Porto.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you for your suggestions! I think the weather sounds very pleasant. I don't mind cooler temperatures but, I guess I would prefer not very chilly, windy or rainy. I like the idea of a dusk tour as well as staying in the wine growing region. I hope you wouldn't mind my asking a few additional questions. Did you fly into and out of Lisbon? If English is my only language, will that be an obstacle? Did you experience a Fado?

Posted by
3159 posts

Karen, Portugal is a great place to visit. Actually I flew into Madrid and drove around southern Spain and then Portugal for two and a half weeks. Lisbon was my last stop and that's where I flew back to the US. I spoke no Portuguese but many people speak some English so between that, a phrase book and Google translate, I had no problems. I left the charging cord for my iPhone in Evora so I needed to replace it. Stopping in Castelo Branco, I started looking for a cell phone store. No luck. Using Google translate on the phone I was able to ask a lady in a supermarket parking lot where to buy one and she was able to give me directions to a nearby mall. If you do go to Evora, I stayed at the Pension Policarpo (free parking! Great breakfast. David a charming host. ) and had the best meal of the trip at the 12 seat Botequim da Mouraria - make reservations. In Porto I stayed at the contemporary Moov Hotel and in Lisbon at Brown's Boutique Hotel on Rua Victoria. Both hotels are centrally located so very easy for sight seeing, dining, clubs. A very good restaurant frequented and recommended by locals in Porto is Restaurante Abadia Do Porto.