Please sign in to post.

luggage recommendations?

I bought what I thought was a great piece of luggage - a Delsey 22" rolling suitcase. I brought this on my Village Italy tour. By the end of the tour, one of the wheels is almost completely shot. I guess from pulling it on all the cobbled streets. Any recommendations on a better suitcase? I need one with wheels...We go on a RS tour every year so I need a good suitcase, but don't want one of those big backpack things - has to be wheeled.

Posted by
14938 posts

Check out the wheeled bags from Eagle Creek. They are fairly tough.

If you want to look at Rick Steves bags, my opinion is that the wheels on the Rolling Backpack will hold up better on cobblestones and non-smooth streets that the smooth wheels of the Rolling Carry On.

Delsey bags are very good. They just aren't designed to handle rough sidewalks. In fact, very few wheeled bags are designed to do so.

One other thing...stay away from spinners if you plan to cover more cobblestone streets. The wheels are smaller and in general aren't designed for that type of use.

Posted by
32198 posts

cindy,

Does it have to be a wheelie bag? You might also consider a Backpack or other style as that avoids the issue of damage to wheels from cobblestone streets. You might also have a look at THESE bags as they're made in the U.S. and extremely good quality (probably last a lifetime).

Posted by
25 posts

I appreciate these recommendations. It was a spinner bag and that's probably he problem. I googled "THESE" bags and don't know what that is not could I find anything about them

Posted by
470 posts

If you want something almost indestructible buy Briggs and Riley. They are expensive, but if you travel a lot it can be a false economy to buy cheaper bags then have to replace your luggage every time you travel. They have a lifetime guarantee, and they stand behind it. The only downside is that you never really need new luggage again. We ended up replacing some of our original pieces simply because they were too heavy.

Posted by
1994 posts

I'm surprised – I relied on a Delsey wheeled 22" bag for a number of years, over miles of cobblestone, and lots of airline abuse. Finally retired it because of weight.

I would suggest contacting them about a repair. I needed to get a zipper repaired after several years of abuse, and I think they did it at no cost. It's certainly worth checking with them.

Posted by
715 posts

Cindy you do not Google THESE bags you just click on the link and it brings you to the Tom Bihn website.

Posted by
8421 posts

My observation is that wheels get damaged mostly from bags going up and down staircases, when the wheels get repeatedly hammered as they bounce from one step to another. Not that that helps.

Posted by
4794 posts

There is a brand of luggage named "Mosaic". It is a private brand that is made for a number of luggage dealers across the country. We have used them on cobblestone streets for quite a while and have been very pleased with them. I'm not positive, but I think the manufacture is the same one that makes one of the expensive brands, but I don't remember which. Google "Mosaic Luggage" and see what you think.

Posted by
32198 posts

cindy,

As jkc mentioned, just click on the words "THESE bags" and you'll be taken to the website. The link works (I tested it).

Posted by
191 posts

Eagle creek are great bags and they do repairs for free on the "lifetime guarantee bags" (you only pay shipping). I recommend purchasing at REI so you can get a dividend and they have a great return/replacement policy if the gear doesn't hold up.

Posted by
919 posts

I second looking at LL Bean products. The ones I have have held up well.

Posted by
4151 posts

I'm always looking for a lighter weight wheeled bag, but so far I have found nothing that is as light as my 6 pound Lipault spinner model number jpf-4r-020 21.5x14x9. I travel carry on only whenever possible. I keep the weight down to 20 pounds total in that bag.

Contrary to most advice, I have used the bag over all the surfaces not recommended for a spinner with no problems on 3 four-week plus European trips and several domestic ones. That may be because I pack light enough that I can pick it up to go up and down stairs or on and off curbs.

Lipault has two-wheeled bags that are lighter, but so far I've had no reason to switch. Although not cheap, Lipault bags are French made, less expensive and lighter weight than Eagle Creek or Tom Bihn or Mosaic.

Posted by
14938 posts

Sorry, Lo, but I don't think your Lipault spinner is lighter than any Tom Bihn bag. Tom Bihn doesn't make wheeled bags.

Cindy26--another bag I thought of that is European carry-on sized ( for most carriers) is the Victorinox Lexicon Ultra Light carry-on. 20 x 14 x 8 and under 6 lbs. $319 at most stores.

Posted by
4151 posts

Oops! I guess I should have said and/or.

Thanks for the Victorinox info. That would definitely be a possible option. It's between my bag and the one below in volume and could be a good compromise if it wasn't so expensive.

I'd love to downsize even more, to the Lipault jpf-017 at 19x13x6 with 2 wheels and weighing 5 pounds.

In any case, like for Cindy26, wheeled luggage is a must for me.

Posted by
4407 posts

Just replace the wheels. Google 'replacing luggage wheels' for lots of YouTube videos and sources for luggage and inline skate wheels. Depending on your particular piece of luggage this repair could take you as little as 10 minutes. AND you could end up with better-than-original wheels! Why discard a piece of luggage that you are perfectly happy with?

Posted by
3207 posts

I have the new RS 20" wheeled bag. My wheels are fine in spite of an excessive amount of cobble stones in Sweden, Eksjö in particular.

Posted by
2788 posts

I have taken 13 RS tours in 14 years and drug my 21" RS roller bag over every imaginable surface (I do not drag it up or down stairs) and have never had a problem. I also have a large Delsey suitcase that I use when flying between Seattle and Hawaii. The zipper broke and a piece fell out of the handle. I checked the warrantee card that I had saved and saw that it had a 10 years limited warrantee. I called Delsey and they authorized me taking it to a repair shop in south Seattle who fixed it up like new at no charge. I was glad that I had saved that warrantee card. Good luck in finding a new suitcase and hope you still have a warrantee card on that Delsey.

Posted by
4 posts

If you're looking for a a high quality luggage that last for years, then I recommend these brands, Briggs & Riley, Tumi, Rimowa, that will surely satisfy your needs. A durable luggage that can withstand all the action of long distance travels.