Please sign in to post.

Looking to go to Ireland 2025, can you make payments?

Hello! I’m looking to book a trip to Ireland for 14 days for my husband and I. Can you make monthly payment until the trip or do you have to pay in full at booking?

Thanks!!

Posted by
755 posts

This is probably a question for the Rick Steves tour office.

Posted by
2375 posts

I don't see the advantage of paying for anything before you have to. I would just put money aside every month. You might not get much interest on a savings account these days, but at least it's under your control.

Also, you only pay a deposit at booking.

Posted by
6 posts

When the 2025 tours populate I will call them but for now just a question I had. Thank you.

Posted by
6 posts

I agree with keeping my money in my hands as long as possible! Some of the other tours offer that so hoping these tours might do the same. Thank you!

Posted by
7034 posts

Only a tour deposit is required at time of booking.

From the RS tour FAQ: 'Tour payments: To reserve a seat on an RSE tour you must agree to these Tour Conditions and provide us with a deposit of $400 per person. We accept MasterCard, Visa, and American Express for all tour payments. We also accept personal checks, bank drafts, or money orders in US dollars drawn on a US or Canadian bank. Your final tour payment is due in our office at least 60 days prior to the start of the tour, in one payment. Your final payment due date will be listed on your tour invoice in your tour account. Missing the final payment deadline may result in your being removed from the tour. If you sign up for a tour less than 60 days before its departure, the entire tour price must be paid, and is non-refundable after 7 days.'

I bolded the sentence regarding one full payment at least 60 days prior. Only the tour office can say about monthly payments but I think probably not based on that sentence.

What you can do is set up a separate travel account at your bank and make monthly payments into it so that when the full payment is due you have it ready. I have done that myself before.

I don't believe you can make a deposit for 2025 tours until they are announced later this Spring.

Posted by
2735 posts

Although the tour will be the largest cost you incur, it does not include all meals, free time sightseeing and flights/transportation. You will need to budget for those expenses too. Plus any souvenirs you want to buy. Ideally, plan to add at least one day pre-tour and another post tour to deal with jetlag and flight times. And don't forget trip insurance.

Keep asking questions as you plan your trip.

Posted by
6293 posts

Here's from our current tour page:

We require that you pay your remaining tour balance with a single payment.

I don't think they allow payments, other than the initial deposit, then the final payment.

Posted by
237 posts

You do not pay in full at the time of booking is the answer to your question; assuming as you mention it is for a 2025 tour as soon as the dates become available. (Booking a tour with a departure day of less than 60 days out, does require full payment.)

But for your plans, you put down your $400 per person deposit (or whatever RS deems the deposit to be for 2025) to reserve, then your final balance in full is due 60 days prior to your departure date. There would be no reason to make payments. Just save your money in between those two transactions and be ready to pay in full.

I had a gift certificate to apply towards my trip, and they had me send it to them, and it was sort of managed/processed in a very thorough but old school way, but they did want to process my gift certificate (didn't cover an entire tour) prior to my final payment, because they only wanted one final payment in full made, so I don't think they're really running a make a payment program. Their website specifically mentions the "one final payment" as well.

I read your comment about wanting to wait until the 2025 tours come out to call the office to ask, and I would say that's when it's most difficult to reach them promptly as it's very busy when the new tours come out. It often takes a few days to hear back from them anyway, but you always will here back. Also, there's no big risk to put down your deposit as soon as the tour schedules for 2025 are available. The $400 deposit is usually refundable until somewhere around 120-160 days prior to departure. But the most accurate info is going to come directly from the RS office. Also, once you put down a deposit, you'll have a very detailed trip portal with a lot of information in it.

The RS 14 Day Ireland trip is wonderful. Well worth saving for it. Enjoy.

Posted by
723 posts

You can save 2% at the time you make the full payment (60 days before the trip) if you do an electronic transfer from your checking account.