Please sign in to post.

London Accomodations

Daughter and I are adding a week in London prior to our Italy tour. Have looked at so many hotels/B&Bs possibilities that my head is starting to spin. Can anyone tell me where RS England/London tours normally stay? Looking to be centrally located, close to tube & in mid-range price (~$250 or less). Have really enjoyed the places we've stayed at on previous RS tours elsewhere, so this may help narrow down things & help make the final decision. Thanks!

Posted by
1203 posts

I don't have any suggestions, been to London but the hotel the RS tour used is well worn so I would not recommend it. But I would read the London RS guide book which lists many hotels and I would look on this website for other people who have asked the same question and see what responds other have received. Ann

Posted by
8142 posts

We always stay in the Bayswater/Kensington area--at the NW end of Kensington Palace. It's a straight shot west of Central London, and the underground is convenient in all directions. The area is very popular and has good restaurants, etc.
Booking.com has the following hotel that' far within your budget:
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Hyde Park
150 Bayswater Road
London W2 4RT

Posted by
6292 posts

Gail: We're booked on an upcoming RS London tour, and the group is staying at Myhotel Chelsea. I checked prices for before and after our tour, and they range from 160 to 240 British Pounds per night, not including breakfast. The 160 would work out to just about your price range, but you'd need to factor in breakfast costs. We chose a less expensive hotel from the guidebook, at 89 pounds a night, breakfast included, near Kensington Park. I can't recommend the hotel we've chosen, because we haven't stayed there yet. You'll probably get plenty of recommendations in this forum. Buon viaggio!

Posted by
46 posts

On the week- long London RS tour I took in fall 2012 we stayed at the Mayfair (I think it was the Washington Mayfair). This was a modern more business style hotel, but with an excellent location, great breakfast and modern clean rooms. Very nice, just not the small, family-owned typical RS style. I liked it but found it relatively expensive, so I stayed a few days before and after at the Lime Tree Inn (I think that was the name, it was immediately next door to the Ebury Wine Bar), that is more an RS style B&B. Also very nice. I stayed in the least expensive single, and the room was tiny, but perfectly fine for my needs. Very friendly and helpful hosts there. Both hotels were close to tube stops and well located. London is expensive for food and hotels, but many fine museums, most of which are free, and the theater scene is great and relatively inexpensive if you are flexible. Lots of good walking tours too, and I found that the locals were very friendly (this was right after the London Olympics), especially for a big city. The tube is great and easy to navigate, but do ride the double decker buses (upstairs in front if possible).

Posted by
21 posts

Thank you all so much for your helpful info. We've looked at the Lime Tree a couple times as it seems well located & prefer a nice family operated place such as this. Though chains & larger places can be great, the kind welcome one generally receives at the B&B types is hard to beat. We don't need fancy, just a place to call home for a few days.

My only minor concern might be lack of A/C since we're looking at first week of Sept. Hard to predict weather-wise at that time. Looks like there's several good eating options to walk to if we don't feel like taking the tube (that's a plus).

I'll be checking out some of the others mentioned here as well as we have a little bit of time yet to decide. Again, much appreciated!

Posted by
2186 posts

We stayed at Premier Inn County Hall. It's not fancy, but the staff is friendly and helpful, the beds were comfortable and, while we had to pay (3£ I think) for wifi, it worked really well.

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks for the local input Emma. Good point about the A/C. Being from Oregon, we don't rely on it heavily either =). Also good be reminded that the "tube" is not the only means of public transport. We here are so used to driving everywhere, tend to forget about the many options the great city of London has to offer.

Posted by
13937 posts

I enjoyed my stay at the Lime Tree last year, the last part of August before I joined up with my RS 21 BOE tour. I, too, was concerned about no AC as I had also been to London the year before, 1st week of Sept and it was HOT. However, the weather was very pleasant the days I was there in 2014 and I really enjoyed the Lime Tree.

Since you will be there in Sept, if you wish you would have the chance to tour Buckingham Palace which is not always open. You do need to get tickets in advance, but I love to do this tour. I usually get the combo ticket which includes the Queens Gallery and the Royal Mews, but both years I have gone I have been interested in the exhibit at the Queens Gallery.

This will be a wonderful addition to your Italy tour! London is a great place to get over jet lag.

Posted by
795 posts

Gail, one nice place you and your daughter might like is the Glynlyn Hotel. You can take the Woodland Park tube and go to see all the sights in the city without any hassle. You can get a lovely large room for around $114 (American dollars) and even a one bedroom apartment for $120 (American dollars). It is a beautiful place with tree-lined streets that are peaceful and quiet for restful sleep and there are gardens. It is a family run place and you have a full bath in your private room, a 32 inch flat screen tv, and coffee and tea making equipment. The 1 bedroom apartments are large and comfortable and come with living room, kitchen/dining room, bath, and large bedroom. The kitchen is quite modern. I love having an apartment in London and the price is right. There is free wi-fi and the breakfast is excellent. This is not a RS tour place but I have never liked any of those. You'll get more comfort and luxury here and very friendly personal attention.
You can see the rooms and apartments at www.glenlynhotel.com