Please sign in to post.

Just signed up for Alumni tour 2016 for January 2017

We have never been to one of his Alumni weekend events. Just made all our plans. Coming in a few days early to see Seattle area and all. Hope some fellow tours mates from my past two trips!

Kim

Posted by
1068 posts

Welcome to the great NW. I have gone to several RS events including the Alumni Reunion last year. It was fun, but pretty easy for me as I just drive up from Portland. The only people invited are those which have taken a tour in the previous year so tour members from older groups (unless they remain active and took a tour in 2016) won't be there. However, one reason I like these events is to say hello to the wonderful guides I have had.

Posted by
6291 posts

Good for you, Kim! Does this mean you're going to miss our January Travel Group meeting? Bummer. But you'll have lots to talk about in February!

See you at our November 19 meeting.

Posted by
1019 posts

Jane - I had down our travel meeting is the next weekend (3rd weekend in January) Jan. 21.

alumni is Jan 13 and 14

Posted by
6291 posts

Oh, you're right. I misremembered when the Alumni meeting was. Even better! You can tell us all about it Jan. 21.

Posted by
13937 posts

This is a the end of the week long tour guide summit they have every year where they discuss each tour plus other guide issues.

As far as the Reunion parties, each tour for the year is assigned a time frame to meet up with others from their tour. There are snacks and drinks provided (soft drinks, water and perhaps wine??). Also occurring that day is the Test Drive a Tour Guide day of presentations in different venues in Edmonds showcasing different RS tours so it's fun to go to some of those meetings. Rick usually does several presentations during the day.

https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/tour-reunion/test-drive-classes

The classes are free and the reception is free but participants are responsible for their own transportation, lodging and meals. Many live in the area so it's just a day's worth of activities. If you are staying at the Best Western in Edmonds you will see ALL the tour guides in the breakfast room...really pretty cool to hear dozens of languages!

I've been a couple of times, but did not see anyone from my tours for that year. The year I knew a bunch of people were going was a year when there was exceedingly bad weather and it was not possible for me to drive over Snoqualmie Pass to the West side.

I have gone other times for his Festival days (November and maybe April??) and attending the tour presentations are a lot of fun. Altho...it makes you want to go to every single one!!

Do know that usually he offers $100 off of tours if you sign up that weekend even if you sign up online. Watch his news updates for that. They also sometimes live stream some of the classes....especially the ones presented in the Center for the Arts which is where he usually presents as it is the largest venue.

Posted by
2252 posts

Nice summary of the activities offered, Pam. I have been many times and I love the ambiance and vibe of tiny, "tidy" town Edmonds. Not only that but it's a really fun time! I did love running into some of the guides I know from previous tours in the hotel's breakfast room. Even if you don't see any of your previous tour mates, go to "your" party and also enjoy the presentations of other tours. I bet you'll have a wonderful time and be inspired to take another. And then there's that lovely fresh seafood and local beer.......

Posted by
13937 posts

Actually MrsEB, the discount is offered to everyone, not just attendees and the discount is publicized on the website and probably on his FB feed.

But yes, it is fun to go to the travel presentations. It's also fun to hear Rick speak as well as getting a sense of what the guides are like. I had never really had Greece on my radar but I went to a presentation of the Greece trip and loved the slideshow and the guides who spoke!

Posted by
39 posts

Hi all,

I just wanted to clarify a little bit about the $100 discount that is offered during the Reunion. This discount is not a general discount automatically provided to anyone who signs up at that time ~ such as the $100 off discount we have going on now until November 30th. Last year a discount code was provided to those who attended the reunion, as well as to those who watched the live-streaming of one of our Test Drive a Tour Guide classes. We are in the midst of putting together all the final details for the Reunion program so stay tuned to our website for information concerning any discount that might be offered. If you have any questions please give the Tour Department a call. Cheers.