Please sign in to post.

Italian weather

We are taking back-to-back Best of Italy and Best of South Italy tours that will start in early September of 2022 and end in early October. The tours will start in the north of Italy, Lake Como and the Dolomites, and end in Naples. We plan to spend a few extra days on the island of Ischia at the end of the trip. What should we expect for weather? Will rain be an issue?

Posted by
16893 posts

I’d expect it to be warm throughout, even if it rains a bit. I’m usually still swimming in the Mediterranean in mid-October, even if the Italians aren’t. Mountains make their own weather, so the Dolomites stay toward the start of your trip may be the time that you use more of your layers, but I’d keep them all light.

Posted by
7453 posts

Hard to say year to year, but we spent most of September this year in Rome, Sicily, and Naples. Generally, it was very hot, high 80's and 90's, and did not cool off a great deal in the evening, we had jackets along, and never used them, except for packing items.

Rain was a rarity, maybe some at night, and one day it rained lightly on and off. I think their rainy season kicks in later.

Myself, I would probably still pack my light jacket and my rain shell if I went again.

Posted by
3961 posts

I can’t comment on October weather, but we have been in Rome, Southern Italy & Sicily through the month of September. The temperature was in the 80’s. I usually bring a rain shell just in case. It’s light weight and easy to pack. You just never know.

Posted by
7280 posts

We were just in Bologna the last week and a half of September, and it absolutely poured rain one afternoon. Nice weather the rest of the time, but it was soaking that day. Then headed to southern Tuscany, just east of the island of Elba, the first week of October (2 weeks ago), and got a sprinkling of rain for parts of 2 days, but a horrific, widespread thunderstorm one night. The lightning was all around, often just a mile from the apartment we rented, and continued for 2 hours. It rained all night. Apparently this storm came from Corsica, headed due east. I don’t know whether Sardinia had similar weather, and if it passed on to the Naples area. A waterproof jacket would be advisable that time if year, and potentially a travel umbrella.

Posted by
763 posts

Yes, but today in Cefalu the high will be 63. It's a 100% chance of rain all day today. We're not going anywhere. Climate change. Best thing to do is check historical averages, being layers and an umbrella. And hope for the best.

Posted by
15560 posts

Use this website to find actual daily weather conditions for the last few years. That's much better than anecdotal observations.

Posted by
170 posts

Thank you. I'm bringing a rain shell and layering.

Posted by
7280 posts

Jim, umbrellas seem to be readily available as protection beyond your rain shell, if needed.

Posted by
7453 posts

That's much better than anecdotal observations.

Actually, probably no more accurate given the extremes we have been seeing.