Please sign in to post.

holland/belgium 2016 tour

We are still going, but I noticed that our trip is now down to sign up now instead of join waitlist. I called the office and 5 have dropped out. We are down to a group of 20. Office said we are still on. Small group, but we will have fun. Yeah, will have my seat by myself on the bus. LOL! Will be leaving in a month for Belgium/Holland trour.

Kim

Posted by
10 posts

Bravo, Kim! I think you have made a good decision to stick to your travel plans. I believe the Belgium people will find great encouragement if they see we are still willing to visit their beautiful country. May your travels be filled with joy and peace.....Godspeed!

Posted by
6265 posts

Good for you! Keep on traveling. We have already had friends and relatives ask us to cancel our trip to England this spring. No way. We are telling them that even if we had plans for Belgium, we'd still go. Namaste.

Posted by
1017 posts

thanks guys! this will be my husband's first time overseas. He seems fine with it also. Glad!! I have planned and waiting for over a year for this trip. Getting exciting!

Jane... since we are semi-neighbors, we need to get together sometime to swap stories! I will want to here your trip details.

Posted by
6265 posts

Good idea. I'm in Tulsa several times a week. I think I still have your email address from when we were considering starting up a Rick Steves Travel Group. Maybe when we're both back from our trips?

Posted by
1017 posts

let me know when you are getting back. Where are you going? I will return May 9

Posted by
2461 posts

Kim,
Thought I would add my thoughts to this topic...good for you to follow through on your travel plans! I am signed up for the Best of Italy in 17 days tour in October and, while I am nervous, I will still go. Can't wait!

Plus, the Holland/Belgium tour is on the top of my wish list for the spring of 2017. Or, GAS...there are so many places in Europe I want to go.

We can't live in fear. I talked to friends of mine who are leaving March 30 for a river cruise from Paris to Normandy and they are still going.

Everyone has to make their own decision about their comfort level.
Judy B

Posted by
1077 posts

I am signed up for a RS Italy trip in May and will go because the whole purpose of terrorism is to make us afraid to go anywhere. I refuse to let them take away my freedom to chose where I want to go!

Posted by
731 posts

That tour will be awesome, Kim! KEUKENOFF is awesome.......it deserves that shout :)

Posted by
6265 posts

We did the Belgium - Holland tour in, I think, 2012, and loved it. We didn't get to see Keukenoff - I'm not sure what they replaced it with. I know we went to an amazing flower market - super-sized, industrial strength, world class flower market. That was amazing.

Posted by
128 posts

If we live in fear, then the terrorists win. Good for you for not cancelling your trip. We will be touring London and Paris in Sept 16 with RS's and although Paris had that awful attack last November, I see that many of the BOP RS tours are wait listed. I can't say that the thought of "an attack while I am there" hasn't crossed my mind, but I also know that these random acts are meant to put fear in the hearts of us all. We just can't let that happen! So, have a GREAT trip. We went to Europe for the first time two years ago and I loved every area we visited, so much beauty and charm. Enjoy every moment!

Posted by
2487 posts

Don't forget to try stroopwafels
They get even better when warmed up gently and then left to cool down a bit. Best done in a clean frying pan.

Posted by
32173 posts

Kim,

It's good to hear that you're going to carry on with your plans. You'll have a great time on that tour!

Happy travels!

Posted by
731 posts

Don't forget to try Stroopwafels in the Netherlands. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroopwafel Those are ADDICTIVE. I can't wait to bring home a whole bunch of them to my husband.

Conveniently there is a Stroopwafel stand inside Keukenof......in the back closer to the windmill :)

Posted by
1017 posts

Are those stroopwafels as addicting as those chimney cakes at Budapest Christmas markets? Last November I was on a river boat cruise (Christmas markets) and our last stop was in Budapest and at one of the markets we ate those chimney cakes covered in cinnamon. Oh Boy!!! I could of ate a dozen of those.

Jane - sure, email me when you return. Maybe we could do lunch at Panera or similar!

Kim

Posted by
271 posts

Hi Kim,

If you're on the April 27 tour, I'm one of those who bailed, because the folks in the group I was traveling with were too uncomfortable. No doubt you'll have a great time. I had purchased tickets for the Concertgebouw concert on Sunday, May 8 at 2:15--Beethoven's first piano concerto and Schumann's first symphony. If you're interested in those tickets, please let me know. It's one of the world's greatest concert halls, and I still hope to be there some day!

Posted by
1017 posts

Lois -

Yes, I am on that trip. I am so sorry your group backed out. I respect their decision not to go. Everybody has to make their own decision on whether to travel on situations like we are experiencing. I went to Europe (Germany, Czech, Austria, Hungary) right after Paris bombing and we had no issues. I totally felt safe. Hopefully, we can arrive safely and on a timely manner, then go from there. The concert sounds interesting. There are only two of us. What were the cost of the tickets? I ask husband.

Are you switching to another tour? Hopefully you will make it there. Getting excited to go. Wish it was now. LOL

Thanks

Kim

Posted by
271 posts

Hi Kim,

It is such a personal decision. On our own, we traveled in Europe just three or four weeks after 9/11, but we wanted to travel with these friends, so it made sense to change. We'll be on the Village Italy tour in September, and I'm sure we'll have a great time. The tickets were $225 for each pair; let me know if you're interested. Should be a great concert. I hope to get to the Concertgebouw and the tulips next year!

Lois