Please sign in to post.

Heart of Italy April 12-20, 2023

Arriving at 7am in Rome the day before the tour. Looking for ideas after we check into the hotel. We will likely be tired but will want fun places to people watch and sites that will not be on the tour. Anyone else arriving early on our tour?

Posted by
8252 posts

Borghese Gallery. Not on your tour, but a worthwhile destination. You need to buy tickets in advance and depending on the day of the week your tour starts, going before the tour may be your only opportunity.

Posted by
13800 posts

Which hotel are you in? When I did it we were at Hotel Sonya. My suggestions would depend on location.

I loved the Borghese last Fall after another tour but I’m not sure I could appreciate it on arrival day after an overnight flight.

Posted by
3 posts

We are staying at the Dharma Hotel which is the same hotel that the tour will be using.

Posted by
232 posts

I agree with Pam about seeing the Borghese the day of arrival, but I would definitely book it for the next day or the day the tour starts. Your reservation is timed and if you’re delayed you’d lose. Also it’s worth seeing without jet lag.
On our arrival day we usually drop the bags off, then ask the hotel for a recommendation for lunch (or brunch ?) We then try a Rick Steves walking tour very leisurely with stops for coffee, gelato and people watching. We try to stay up all day to more easily get on schedule with the new time zone. We did go to Rome prior to our Sicily tour and booked a food tour—outdoor market, cheese market, meat market etc. we then made pizzas. There are several evening food tours too.

You will be in Rome during Holy Week, as Easter is April 9., so it will be busy.