Please sign in to post.

General question

Hello there!
Sorry if the answer to my question has been posted already, I could not find it anywhere.

Does anyone know what time does the day start on one of these tours, is it very early departure?
I don't see anything about times on these itineraries.
Thank you!

Posted by
1588 posts

Day one usually starts between 4 and 5 pm. Normally there is the introduction, a short walk to get familiar with the area and then dinner.

Posted by
545 posts

I think the poster meant what time does the tour start each day, not just on Day One. I've only been on one RS tour (10 days of Scotland). Usually the bus left around 8:00 - 8:30, which means you need to allow time to have breakfast and otherwise get ready. The tour guide will tell you each day what time to be ready for the next day.

Posted by
21 posts

Thank you, that was fast!
Yeah, that's what I meant, the time each day started which as I suspected is pretty early.
Thank you both for the info.
Sylvia

Posted by
8367 posts

That is about the same as my tour, although we did have one earlier morning to beat the traffic out of Paris. Otherwise it was 8:30 or more often 9:00 am. Once person’s early is another person’s late.....

Posted by
2374 posts

Yeah, it varies depending on the schedule for the day, but usually 8:30 or 9. I know we met earlier on the day we had the Vatican tour in Rome.

Posted by
2788 posts

We have taken 16 RS tours and most all of them start the day around 8 to 8:30 AM. Occasionally we have had a later departure, say around 9AM.

Posted by
13931 posts

I think it depends on the tour. We has some early starts on the 21 Best of Europe either due to long drive days or other reasons. I've had later starts on the Paris city tour.

I've left as early as 715 (to get to the 730 gondola departure in the Lauterbrunnen Valley) and as late as 920 on the Southern England tour because we just had a short walk to the Cathedral for a 930 tour.

Which tour are you thinking about? If you give us specifics someone here has probably taken it!

Posted by
8437 posts

The start times can be variable depending on many different factors. There may be a local tour scheduled, entrance to a museum or exhibit, a traffic issue or detour requiring longer routes, hotel breakfast schedule, etc. So don't count on a fixed time. They'll give you the next days itinerary, and its up to you to be out in front of the hotel at the scheduled time. Some people who were not morning people would skip the hotel breakfast and eat/drink something in their room while getting ready, or on the bus.

Posted by
23266 posts

Days start early - around six or so, since you have to pack, get your luggage out, have breakfast and on the bus by 8.30 or so. Some are quick, some are slower but time waits for no man (or woman).

Posted by
528 posts

As Pam said, it does depend on the tour. I checked random start times for several tours I have taken. Best of Rome had, at least, one day that departed at 8:10. On the Southern Italy tour I saw a 7:50 departure time and Brussels/Netherlands had a 8:20 departure time. Generally speaking, approximate departs of 8 ish. Some do leave earlier due to longer distances to travel.

Posted by
21 posts

Thank you all for the info! Much appreciated. :)

Posted by
6788 posts

A couple factors worth noting, in addition to the above...

I believe that (one of) the Rick Steves travel philosophies is that Americans, in particular, have some of the shortest vacations in the developed world. We simply don't have enough time to see and do all the things we would like, and with our short vacations, on trips to Europe, it's wise to try and maximize your experiences by making good use of your time there. That usually means full days - start early, power through the day, keep moving, and by all means do enjoy the evenings, but avoid staying up too late so as to allow you to fire up early the next morning and charge out there again. It's not a debilitating, frenzied, death-march pace, but no lollygagging, not much "sleeping in." That's how his tours seem to roll and it's also how he generally suggests itineraries and activities for independent travelers in his books. I'm not much of a tour person myself, but I've come to appreciate that style of "make your days full" travel.

I'd also note that in anywhere that's become popular (and especially in places that are way too popular), the best time of the day to capture the magic free of major crowding (either with your camera or just taking in the charms) is early mornings and (to a lesser extent) early evenings. Much of Europe is at its best when 99% of the tourists are snoring away in their beds. My wife, who is a world champion sleeper who loves to get up at noon when she's not working, has finally seen the light - that is, the early morning golden light, where you can get your memorable photos without hundreds of strangers in the foreground. Last trip she didn't protest at all when I suggest setting the alarm for 4:30 AM so we could get out and spend a few golden hours taking pictures in Tallinn before the cruise ships arrived to disgorge all their passengers.

IMHO for most of us, I think the time we have to spend in Europe is the most constrained commodity we have - usually more constrained than our financial budgets. So when I'm traveling in Europe, I'm focused on being out there seeing and doing the things I came for. I get up early. I figure I can always sleep on the flight home.

Posted by
891 posts

Also, if you really want to sleep in on a free day where there are no activities scheduled, then that is up to each person. But I always want to get up and check out the early markets or wander around. Sometimes go back to a museum or such that we were in and have more time there. Up to you and maybe how tired you are.

Have a Great Trip!
Oh, yes, Which tours are you looking at? We have been on 7 and there are others on the Forum who have been on many more than that!

Mimi

Posted by
21 posts

Thank you for your input.
I have decided that tours are not for me; I rather go my way and do my thing when I feel like it.
Much appreciation to all for the information and opinions.
Safe travels!
Syvlai

Posted by
32735 posts

reaching that decision can be an important milestone - now you can take the next steps...

doing it on your own we are always here to help with other questions....