Please sign in to post.

GAS June 13-26, 2017. Just signed up, anyone else out there?

I just put down my deposit on the Germany Austria and Switzerland tour for june 13-26, 2017 and would love to start chatting with other tour members. I find the pre-tour time is almost as much fun as the actual tour. All that anticipation and planning!!

This will be my second RS tour. I did the Villages of Italy last year and found Rick's version of touring to be wonderful. Would love to hear from my fellow travelers.
Lori

Posted by
9 posts

We're going on the GAS tour in September to take advantage of Oktoberfest, but we were torn deciding between it and doing the Villages of Italy tour. This will be our first RS tour, and we're so excited. When it came down to deciding which one to take, we figured we couldn't go wrong with either one, so Villages of Italy is on our bucket list after GAS.

I totally agree about preparing for the trip being half the fun. I figure if I divided the cost of the trip over each day since I first decided to book the tour, it'd be a real bargain!

Posted by
1 posts

Hi, Lori. This is Candida. I am traveling with my husband, Amador on GAS061317 as well. We are flying into Zurich, rest for a night and take a train to Trier, Germany on June 12th. We have booked a day early at Residenz Hotel am Zuckerberg (first hotel of this tour). Hope to touch base with everybody in the group. Take care.

Posted by
1481 posts

"I figure if I divided the cost of the trip over each day since I first decided to book the tour, it'd be a real bargain! "

I am not going on GAS quite yet but I love this statement. This is how I feel also.

Posted by
206 posts

I took the GAS tour last July (Village Italy is next for me) and will have my scrapbook submitted pretty soon. It's a great tour, you'll have a blast!

Posted by
40 posts

I'm on the tour just before yours, beginning May 30. I'll definitely keep up with this post to help with my planning as well!
Hope you all enjoy your trip!!

Posted by
225 posts

Thanks for all your replies.

Candida,
Great to hear from a fellow tour mate. I will be flying into Milan for three days prior to our tour. I can't bear to be so close to Italy and not stop in. lol. I'll fly from Milan to Frankfurt then take the train to Trier on the first day of the tour.
Although I have done a lot of traveling, I haven't been to Germany or Austria at all yet. My exposure to Switzerland is very limited. One year, on our way to La Plagne to go skiing, we flew into Geneva. Since my son is very interested in Physics, I managed to get us a private tour of the ALICE experiment at Cern. It was amazing. So, I guess you could say I have seen under Switzerland but not on ground level.

Since my son is in college now, I have been traveling solo. So, I will be on my own on the GAS tour.

Have you been to any of these countries before?

Lori

Posted by
225 posts

Brooke,
You are in for an amazing tour. Villages of Italy was no less than remarkable. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to share my experience, but I think you could get dozens of answers from others. It seems that the Villages tour is a favorite of everyone.

Posted by
225 posts

Holly,
I love to make an excel spreadsheet. It gives me an overview and lets me insert activities and restaurants during the free time and my pre and post tour days. It's super fun. I color code things and I peruse Rick's guidebooks for ideas. Last year, I was on the Villages of Italy tour during my birthday. My son swiped my spreadsheet and found out where we were on my birthday. It was Lucca. Knowing I love opera, he bought tickets to the Puccini concert in Lucca for my birthday. So sweet and I was able to "be with him" on my birthday. ;)
I just ordered my guidebooks for this tour, so I will be scouring them when they arrive. I already mapped out the spreadsheet and will be able to fill in the "extras" once I do my research.
Lori

Posted by
225 posts

Such a quiet thread. I thought I'd bump it up and see if they're any more tour mates on the forum. I've been reading the scrapbooks and they are a wonderful fund of information. I have also been working on my packing list.
The cooler climes threw me, but I think I'm on track now.
Would love to share some of the pre-trip excitement with fellow tour mates. I understand the tour is full at 28 people.

Posted by
13934 posts

Hey! I did this tour last summer/fall and had a terrific time! It was hot as heck when I traveled in late August. Do keep an eye on the weather before your final pack. I'm in Paris right now and it is surprising chilly! Who knows what another month will bring though!

Do you have some things figured out for your free time?

Posted by
225 posts

Pam,
I will check on the weather before my final pack, thanks.
I always read up of things to do on our time off, but I seem to have trouble translating the information from my notes into actual action when I'm there. I did notice last year that our guide did make some suggestions for our time off. I would welcome any suggestions from you.

Yes, we forget how far north Paris is. I was so surprised that it was light until 11pm. I don't know why I think all of Europe is at the same Lattitude as New York City. lol

Posted by
417 posts

Your first big decision on the GAS tour is your free afternoon in Baden Baden. The biggest attraction is the Spa. It is a nude spa. The people that do the spa, claim it is wonderful! Some days there is both sexes in the big pool, and some days it is separate. My husband and I weren't comfortable doing that so we took the bus to Merkur mountain. From the bus stop you take a funicular to the top of the mountain. There were several para-gliders and the scenery is beautiful. Your next decision will be in Switzerland. You have pretty much a whole day to do whatever you want. Your guide will probably lead a hike up the mountain. I'm in my 60's and overweight (lots of ballast on my hips) but I hiked over the North Face trail. It was one of my favorite memories. The top part of the trail is called "the hammer" and I beat it! The guide stayed with those who were bringing up the rear so don't worry about it. (I hope the weather cooperates).

There are lots of options for your free afternoon in Munich. We went shopping for lederhosen and dirndl's. Then we walked around Marienplatz. Salzburg has several options, but we visited the fortress at the top of the hill. (You will visit several Sound of Music sites on the tour). We also went to a concert at Mirabell palace. You will fall in love with Hallstatt, everyone does. We took the funicular up to the top and looked at the scenery. We didn't go any further and to see the salt mine, but it looked interesting. There is a lot to see in Vienna. We visited the royal apartments and the Sissi exhibit. The GAS tour is an awesome tour. Read the tour books, watch the RS videos (Rick does the baths in Baden Baden) and ask questions. You'll get lots of great responses.

Posted by
225 posts

Dear Janet,
Thanks for the heads up! I have already decided to "take the plunge" (get the pun?) in Baden Baden. Not even going to pack a bathing suit. Here's hoping my nerve holds up.
I didn't realize Rick did a video at Baden Baden. I'll have to look for it.
I love those hikes. I did the one at Civita di Bagnorelo last year. Exhilarating! I'll take your lead and do the one you mentioned. I will review the guide book for Munich and Salzburg to see what my options are. Thanks for that.
I got the tour member roster and the hotel info. So we're getting close. It just seems that my group are not forum people. Oh well. Glad the rest of you are here to keep up the excitement and planning. I did a practice pack. Now I'm waiting for that final 10 day forecast to finalize my packing . Less than a month to go!
Holly, you are on final countdown. Wish I could hear about your experiences, but I will be leaving before your tour ends. Have a great time!!!
Lori

Posted by
10 posts

Lori, My husband Steve and I are on the GAS 6/13/17 tour. And it's almost here!! Sorry, I had not seen this post. I see your name on our list.. This will be our first RS tour and we are excited! We went to England two years ago on our own but decided a tour with lots of walking and local hotels, etc is something we'd love. We're sort of of newbie travelers. so we'll need experienced folks to feed us nuggets of wisdom.. We're leaving Greensboro NC for Frankfurt June 11 and taking the train to Trier when we arrive Monday morning . We too are staying at the Resident that night. We'l have an extra day in Trier so that will be fun. Looking forward to meeting you and all our "new" friends!

Posted by
10 posts

For those on this GAS 6/13/17 tour, the weather looks great! 70s during the day 50s at night. How are you all packing? I'm thinking I don't need many long sleeves. Just maybe a cardigan and of course rain/lightweight jacket?

Posted by
225 posts

Hi Meg!
So glad you found the post. I have been checking the weather each day and it looks like it's getting cooler (yay!). I packed for cool weather, then repacked for warm, now I need to go back and shuffle again. ;) I took out most of my long sleeved shirts, but left one and a matching cardigan. I have a goretex rain jacket and umbrella (forecast mentions rain a lot), but I think I may put another long sleeved shirt back in. I will bring a jacket to keep on the bus and definitely a scarf (keeps you warm in the evening and doubles as a head covering).
I live in S. Florida. This is my second RS tour but I have been traveling a lot for many years now and LOVE IT!. I'll be in Milan 6/10-6/13 and then fly into Frankfurt early Tuesday morning. So I'll be there by the time we have the group meeting at 4pm.
RS tours start with a meeting that includes the "name game". It's a nice ice breaker. Bring your member roster and a pen with you so you can make notes (e.g. Lori - short, from Fl, traveling solo, etc). it helps place faces with names for the first few days.
I loved England. I took my son in 2009.
Lori

Posted by
10 posts

Looking forward to meeting you, Lori, as well as all the others. BTW my youngest daughter is Lori, so no problems remembering your name! See you Tuesday. Got clothes laid out so final check on weather will be Saturday night. Fingers crossed for 55-75! ;-)