Please sign in to post.

GAS 2019!!

So excited!
I just booked for the July 6 2019 GAS tour.
My best friend Sarah and I will be celebrating our 60th on this adventure.
It is our first RS experience.

We’d love to hear from our future tour friends.
Happy Travels,
Eva

Posted by
7 posts

The GAS tour was the first Rick Steves tour that I took. You will love it. I did and now have been on 8 tours. Happy travels.

Posted by
562 posts

Yay!! have fun..... I am going on two but have not decided on my dates yet

Posted by
437 posts

You'll have the best time! Such a fantastic tour! So excited for you.

Posted by
11 posts

Be sure to look at the scrapbook winner from this year...Girlfriends Go To. It was done by my friend Kristi and it was a girlfriends trip on the GAS tour. We had a blast! You're going to love this tour!!!

Posted by
5622 posts

This is a fun tour!! I hope you all have enough time so that you can arrive at least the day before the tour starts, if not 2 days before. This is a busy tour so for me it works better to be over jet lag before it starts. Your arrival day will not have much time for seeing things in Trier. 2 nights gives you a full day plus a partial day on the day the tour starts. It also gives you some flex time to allow for flight delays.

Most people fly in to Frankfurt and generally take the train. I followed the advice of a scrapbook done the year before I traveled and flew in to Paris, then took the train to Trier via Saarbrüken. I’m retired so no problem with time. I spent a week in Paris.

Posted by
201 posts

I agree with an earlier poster. Look at the scrapbook from last year. It is very good and can give you some suggestions about what to do in your spare time. I also encourage you to watch some of the Rick Steves videos. There's some great shows on the different places you will see.

My husband and I flew in to Frankfurt and took the train to St Goar on the Rhine river. We stayed there 3 nights. We took the KD line to go up the river to see the castles on the Rhine and then the next day went down river to Koblenz on the same boat. Then took the train to Trier to start the tour. After the RS tour finished in Vienna we took the train to Rothenburg and spent 2 nights before taking the train back to Frankfurt to fly home.
This is a wonderful tour. One of my favorites. Enjoy the planning process for the next year. It's fun too.

Posted by
42 posts

Eva- we are considering this one as well, but most likely the tour beginning June 25! :)
Janet- thank you so much for your post! I was disappointed that this trip did not include the Romantic Rhine, and I think you just gave me a solution to that problem! Yay!!!

Posted by
5 posts

Very likely will be going on this tour myself (the July 6, 2019 trip), pending whether or not I end up buying a new house and having to move in around that timeframe -- will be finding out soon, LOL. If not, it'll probably be the July 20-August 2 tour instead (right before we go back to school).

Posted by
832 posts

My friend and I are planning on this tour but not till September. And I agree, look at Kristi’s scrapbook. She gives alot of great info and looks like so much fun!

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips!

We’ve decided to spend two days in the Rhine Valley before the tour. We found a nice Air BB in Bacharach, but we also like the Rhien Hotel in St,Goar.

Any opinions about which would be easiest for connections etc.? I understand from Bacharach we would need to take a short train ride to catch the boat for a cruise., but Bacharach looks a bit more interesting....

Posted by
201 posts

Eva,
When we took the GAS tour we took the train to St. Goar. When we got off the train it was a 2-3 min walk to the Rhein Hotel. The Hotel is directly across the street from the KD line that travels up and down the Rhine river. Email the hotel for their rates and if you decide to stay there call them directly to book it. The owner's name is Gil. He is very friendly and helpful. We reserved the balcony room on the second floor. We were able to sit on the balcony in the evening and watch the river traffic. When we checked in to the hotel he sat down with us and helped us line out our itinerary while we were there. He also told us about good restaurants and the best gelato in town and in Koblenz. We took the KD line from St. Goar up the river to Assmanhausen on the first day. The second day we took the KD line down to Koblenz, looked around the town, had some amazing gelato and took the train back to St. Goar. The next day we took the train to Trier to start the GAS tour. Bacharach also is an interesting town. I just haven't spent any time in the town. I've seen a lot of great information about it and it looks fun also.

Posted by
526 posts

We stayed in Bacharach and loved it. It is only a 10 minute train ride to St. Goar where you can see Rheinfels Castle and catch the boat for your cruise back to Bacharach.

Posted by
6 posts

We, too, stayed at the Rhine Hotel in St Goar and loved it. We also requested the balcony room and enjoyed watching the river traffic. If we were returning to the area, I would definitely chose the same hotel. The ease of transportation connections can't be beat.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi there, I booked one of the Oktoberfest timed trips...so excited! I am a single traveler and need my alone time at the end of the day, so I booked the single supplement. Has anyone else done the single supplement for the GAS tour? How was the quality of the rooms? Any words of wisdom? Thanks! :)

Posted by
1 posts

What Rick Steves books are helping you with your GAS tour

Posted by
5622 posts

Jill, I did the GAS (and all my RS tours as a single supplement). Rooms were fine. I think the smallest room was in Muerren and it had the European single bed BUT the view out the window was the Schilthorn as well as the Almendhubel funicular!! I think all the other rooms had double beds altho I can’t picture what my room looked like in BadenBaden....so that might have been a single as well.

Paula, the guide book for the GAS tour is a special one with parts taken from the Germany, Switzerland and Austria books. It’s on heavier paper than the regular guide books so slightly harder to pull sections out of.

Posted by
5037 posts

I understand from Bacharach we would need to take a short train ride to catch the boat for a cruise., but Bacharach looks a bit more interesting....

That's not entirely true. Many people recommend that you train to Bingen and start the cruise there rather than in Bacharach, but that's not necessary. I stayed in Bacharach and caught the boat right there, cruised to Boppard, then took the train to St Goar to see the castle, then took the train back to Bacharach. It was a wonderful day spent on the Rhine.

Posted by
11 posts

That's really helpful Nancy, thank you!!

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks Pam!

What is the typical start time for this fall GAS tour? Pre-planning guide says 1-6pm, but a more definitive time would be helpful for travel planning. :)

Posted by
6 posts

Another question...re: trains. Which train stations do I use in Frankfurt and Trier? I see several options for both when I search. Thanks!

Posted by
5622 posts

Jill for Trier you'd use the Trier Hbf or Hauptbahnhof which is the main train station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier_Hauptbahnhof

editing to add: I just looked at my folder from this tour and the meet-up time was 4PM. We met for about an hour, did introductions, got buddies and housekeeping stuff out of the way. We had a quick break, then left the hotel and did a short orientation walk on the way to the Welcome dinner which was held at a restaurant across from the Dom.

IF you are coming in to Trier this day, I'd get there as early as possible. There is a lot to see in Trier and you really don't go in anything on the walk with the local guide. It's Sunday AM and the churches will be having services. Then you leave for lunch along the Mosel (neat place!) and the tour of Burg Eltz. By the time you are back to Trier it's dinner!

Posted by
16942 posts

Which train stations do I use in Frankfurt

If you are in the city of Frankfurt itself, the most common station used is the Hbf (main station), although depending on where you are in city, there are some other train station. In addition there is a system of S-/U-Bahns to get you to the stations. At the airport (FRA), there are two stations, the Fernbahnhof, which is farther out and serves mostly long distance trains, such as the ICEs, and the Regionalbahnhof, which is close in and serves the S-Bahn and regional trains. To go to the Rhein gorge (Bacharach, St. Goar) or to Trier via Koblenz you want the Regionalbhf.

Posted by
83 posts

We did this tour 2 yrs ago. Our scrapbook is up documenting it. It's a great tour!

Once in a lifetime things to do: the baths in Baden Baden and as much mountainy nature you can get in Murren.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks Justin,
Definitely looking forward to the ‘“mountainy scenery”

Posted by
10 posts

My daughter and I are booked on the same tour. This will be our 4th. We love Rick Steve's tour. She celebrated her birthday on a Rick Steve's tour in Rome and our tour guide had a birthday cake made for her, and another couple celebrated their anniversary while in Venice and they scheduled a special gondola ride for them. This made us a fan of Rick Steves tours for life. I do not believe that any other tour company would give you this type of special treatment. We will be staying in Bacharach a few days before the tour as well.

Happy Travels
Cindy

Posted by
6 posts

I'm doing the 9/28-10/11 trip...anyone else? Flying to London first to visit friends, then taking train from London to Trier to arrive the day before the tour starts. Has anyone else done this train trip before? I just love European trains and it's about the same amount of time if I were to fly London to Frankfurt (security, flight, train).

Posted by
5622 posts

I've done Paris to Trier via Saarbrucken by train and it was very easy. If you are taking the Eurostar to Paris you'll have to change train stations to Gare de l'Est but it's a shortish distance.