Please sign in to post.

Free Day in Antalya

What would you do with a free day in Antalya? We will be on the RS Best of Turkey Tour in November and have a day on our own. Suggestions from the tour info include a day sailing, visiting nearby towns with ancient ruins, the Antalya Archaeological Museum, a Turkish bath, the beach or exploring the town of Antalya.
We have been on several sailing vacations so this seems like a been there done that and so far we are not sold on the bath experience. We are not fans of massages and having reluctantly taken 2 hot stone baths in Bhutan, it was certainly an experience but I did not like it much. Maybe you can convince me?
Will we see enough archaeological museums and ancient ruins elsewhere that these would be redundant? I do love ruins.
Please share your experiences and recommendations. Thanks!

Posted by
1068 posts

Well far be it from me to attempt to convince anyone of anything. Not my role. Anyway, in terms of suggestions..... agree 100% with the Museum.

Posted by
3156 posts

The Archaeological Museum for sure. On my ETBD tour, I didn't go for a Turkish bath but my traveling companions who did all raved about the experience. They also said that doing it in late afternoon was great to refresh after a hard day's sightseeing and to get them prepped for the night ahead! Consider walking down Kordon Sokak to the restaurant overlooking the harbor. A few glasses of raki as the sun is setting is the perfect ending for a perfect day.

Posted by
1307 posts

I took this tour in 2002 and still remember Antalya well. I would recommend the museum in the morning and a Turkish Bath in the afternoon. This is a cultural experience for women ... our guide Lale said that she and her girlfriends would go together about every three or four weeks. I found it strange, fun, and completely relaxing. (And every inch of skin was exfoliated ... I felt like a baby!) I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Posted by
5 posts

For those of you who did the Turkish bath, did you wear a swimsuit or nothing?

Posted by
15573 posts

Most Turks wear nothing. Most Americans are more comfortable wearing a bathing suit. . . or underwear.