Please sign in to post.

Finding the soul of Ireland 2017!

Hello friendly travelers!

After so many late nights, pouring over the 2017 tour book and website (imagining myself in so many places!), tonight I got brave and signed up for the Best of Ireland in 14 days (Apr 23-May 6). This is a personally important trip for me. My hubby died this past summer. On April 30 it will be my first wedding anniversary without my love. I am looking to be inspired by the beautiful countryside of Ireland, the soulful music, the friendly people, and the new life experience (for me) of a Rick Steves tour! My heart may ache, but it is open wide. I want to embrace life and now I am VERY excited for my first RS adventure (almost assuredly, the first of more to come).

I would love to hear any experiences, insights or tips you may have for my Irish experience! (and for everyone else traveling to Ireland in 2017)

Kind and warm regards!
Karin

Posted by
9363 posts

First, I am so very sorry for your loss. While it can be hard to move on alone, you will find Ireland very healing, I think. I have been there four times and there is always something new there for me. A tour is a great first step, since all of the "work" of travel is done for you, and you can concentrate on enjoying yourself. So congratulations on taking the plunge! I'm not sure what you are looking for in the way of tips, but if you have not traveled abroad before, you might benefit from reading Europe Through the Backdoor, which is a basic primer on how to get around in Europe. While you won't have to deal with many of the issues yourself, it might make you feel more at ease to know something about the money, emergency services, signage and other topics. The Rick Steves Ireland guide is great, too, and gives lots of background information on the things you will be seeing, as well as maps that might come in handy.

You might want to just get a small amount of money in euros before you go, but otherwise plan on getting your cash from an ATM when you arrive (it's the easiest and cheapest way). As your tour approaches, you will receive lots of information that will help you get ready. They will also offer you travel insurance, and that can be good to have, but you will want to make sure you understand exactly what you are covered for. Packing light is a skill you will want to develop (every trip gets a little more efficient). As you read and come up with questions, come back and ask - there are lots of people here with experience in traveling in Ireland.

Posted by
1056 posts

Karin, we have much in common. My husband and I enjoyed traveling to Europe, with and without Rick Steves, for many, many years. Then he died suddenly last February, shortly before a planned trip to Sicily. As you know, traveling alone is quite different than vacationing alone. So I took the 14-day Ireland trip this past September as an experiment in solo vacationing. You will, indeed, find that the scenery in Iteland is beautiful and the Irish people friendly and engaging. I also found my RS tourmates friendly and inclusive. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Posted by
977 posts

You will find the true soul of Ireland in the wonderful places you will be visiting. Dingle, Cliffs of Moher, Cong, and surrounds just breathtaking, Antrim coast etc/ Ireland is a special and unique destination. I felt like I had 'come home' when I visited for the first time and subsequent times. I trust you will have some free time to wander off the beaten track by yourself and take in all this great country has to offer.
The Irish music alone, will make your spirit soar.

Posted by
16265 posts

I too am sorry for your loss. As women we must face the reality--we are more likely to lose our life love than the other way around. Travel is a healthy way to cope with that loss.
You made a good choice in Ireland. The best thing there is the people---so friendly and happy to talk. I chose Ireland for a "roots" trip for my 50th birthday --- my heritage is is Irish-- and I was not disappointed. So many good experiences talking to the Irish---I hope your experience is the same.

Posted by
1078 posts

Karin,
You are making a good decision to travel after experiencing a time of sorrow. I went through a very tough time in my life and started withdrawing into myself and a good friend literally forced me to take a trip to Europe (my first outside the USA), I was pretty anxious but after I landed I had the best 14 days of my life! Travel is a great way to find yourself and getting a feeling of renewal.

Posted by
9 posts

You are all so kind and encouraging! Thus fortifying my decision.

Nancy, when my hubby and I travelled, I handled all the logistics. I am so looking forward to just 'experiencing' a country this time, without constantly figuring things out. Patricia, my heart twinges to hear about your own hubby, and now it seems you are a kindred spirit, having made the same choice to go to Ireland. Thank you for sharing with me. Judy, I feel a pull to Ireland, so maybe it will feel like 'coming home' to me, too! Lola, wonderful advice to strike up a friendly conversation with locals. I promise to do that. Donald, I like your thoughts about renewal and finding yourself through travel.

This is a wonderful community, I am so glad I joined in!

Posted by
504 posts

Karin,

My deepest sympathies.

Ireland is among the best places to go regenerate the soul. I visited the country in 1993 and have returned four more times. Friends and acquaintances assume I'm Irish because I keep going to Ireland, but I'm not. Ireland has always soothed my soul.

Make sure to see the green. I would recommend you see the Dingle, Kerry or both peninsulas off the southwest coast. I hope Rick's tour visits at least one of them. If the tour goes to those peninsulas and you have some free time, I strongly recommend a hike along the Dingle Way (http://www.dingleway.com/) or Kerry Way (http://www.kerryway.com/). Also, my guess is you'll go near Westport in the northwest. If you're feeling adventurous, climb Croagh Patrick (http://www.croagh-patrick.com/), the holy mountain of Ireland. It takes only 2.5 hours or so.

Either Dingle or Kerry is a great place to rent a bicycle. The Aran Islands along the west coast are also great for bicycle riding.

You might not have time for this since you'll be on a tour, but a decade ago my sister and I went on a religious retreat in Glendalough, a famous monastic site for more than 1,000 years. It's in the hills 30 miles or so south of Dublin. Glendalough is no longer a monastic site, but retreats are held there: http://www.glendaloughhermitage.ie/hermitage/. If you can't make the retreat, it's still worth seeing the monastic ruins. I'm sure Rick's tour goes there.

Everyone raves about the Rock of Cashel, a famous antiquity. It's definitely worth seeing: http://cashel.ie/

I know you'll be in Dublin. I could give you a laundry list of things to see, so I'll only recommend the three most meaningful. I strongly recommend a visit to the Irish Writers Museum, seeing a play at Gate Theater and drinking as much as you want on a literary pub crawl.

Again, my deepest sympathies, but you're on the road to a great future because you're going to visit Ireland.

Posted by
13937 posts

So sorry for your loss!

I am sure you will enjoy your RS tour...and yes, it's a great way to shift some of the planning to others and have a bit of a support network.

I recommend you get there at least one day ahead of your tour start, 2 or 3 days is better if you can manage it. I've done 8 RS tours, 3 (including Ireland) with family and 5 on my own. I usually try to arrive at least 2 days ahead and I reserve at the same place where the tour is staying. I suggest you do this as soon as you get name of the 1st tour hotel as it will fill up. If you haven't gotten it already, you'll get the name of the first and last hotels within the next few weeks. You'll get the names of the hotels in the other cities about a month out from your travel date. They will appear in your Trip Portal so bookmark it after you get the link to fill out your preliminary information so you can check a month out.

I also suggest you have a waterproof jacket (not water resistant). If you don't have one, get one that is sized generously enough that you can layer a light fleece jacket under it if you get cold easily.

I would probably go with waterproof shoes if you don't have travel shoes yet.

One of the things we enjoyed on our pre-tour days was a day tour out to Newgrange from Mary Gibbons tours. It was excellent and what an interesting site!

I also always have some Euro before I travel. You can likely get this ordered at a local bank. Your exchange rate won't be as good but it saves you having to find an ATM when you are jet-lagged and not at the top of your game.

editing to add: I don't know if you are a light-packing advocate or if you are familiar with that concept. You need to pack lightly enough that you can handle your bag over a longish walk to your hotel. In Kinsale the closest the bus could get to the tour hotel was still pretty far away. In looking at our route on googlemaps it looks like it was about 1/3 mile. One of my tour members had a bag that was way too big for her to handle on her own and she had difficulty. She was traveling with other women so they took turns pulling this large duffle. I am not sure what she had in there because she was cold all the time so all we actually saw was her coat, lol!!

Posted by
9 posts

Craig, thank you so much for your encouraging words and expert advice. When I read your email, I was actually sitting in an Irish pub in my Canadian hometown (https://irishtimespub.ca/) ... reading my newly purchased RS guide book ... and soaking up Day 1 of imagining the now confirmed trip! I also admit, when I read your last line, a tear came to my eye. I am feeling the soul of Ireland already.

Posted by
9 posts

Pam, thank you for chiming in with great advice! As a resident of the Pacific Northwest, I am fortunate to already have rain gear (and I never mind the rain)! That's what will make Ireland so green, right? I am definitely going to give myself at least 2 days lead time, to land safely and experience a little of Dublin on my own, before the tour starts.

BIG LOVE to everyone for giving me something to look forward to!! xo

Posted by
13937 posts

Karin, laughing...yes, you are ahead of the game then...for both rain and the possibility of some chilly weather. Expect wind which of course, the waterproof layer will help.

I'm glad you've started your vacation mentally!

Posted by
10 posts

Karin. My deepest sympathies for your loss. I have been on four RS tours and have taken other tour companies as well. RS is the best experience. Great choice as the tour guides and the people on the tours are unique. Passionate travel companions accepting of "adventures" before them. You will not be alone on this adventure.
I look forward to meeting you as my husband and I are booked for the same trip. We are arriving on Thursday befor the trip begins. We are planning on the Mary Gibbons tour hopefully for Friday prior to the tour.
See you in April! Joanne

Posted by
504 posts

Karin,

Hello! You're welcome! And hello to Canada! I've been to rural Ontario four times and love the country.

I saw you were drinking in a pub called the Irish Times. It's the name of the newspaper, of course. And one of my favorite Irish trad bands, Patrick Street, released an album called the Irish Times. Here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PltA5woXKaA

Have the greatest time in dear old Ireland! Cheers.

Posted by
9 posts

Joanne, now I have a friend in advance! I look forward to meeting you and your husband on the tour! This weekend I plan to start looking into flights, pre-tour accommodation, and opportunities to soak up a bit more of Dublin. It's all very preoccupying and giving me small butterflies at a time when my heart and mind really could use these happy, uplifting thoughts!

Craig, I listened to the YouTube music and this is probably one of the things I look forward to the MOST ... the camaraderie and soul-lifting music! Thanks for sharing some really awesome music.

Posted by
417 posts

Karin
I will chime in with a few other insights. If you are going to be traveling over the holidays, start thinking about how you will travel on your RS tour. When you pack your suitcase for next trip, think about every piece you pack and start getting used to traveling light. I signed up for my first RS tour 1 year before I actually took it. So every trip I took before our tour I started planning to take less and less. It's amazing how much less you really need when you pack smart. Get some comfortable shoes that support your feet and get them broken in. I'm also a huge advocate for merino wool socks. They are warm when then temps are cold and wick well if the temps are hot. There are different weights from very light weight to very thick. Try some different ones with your hiking/walking shoes. (Merino wool socks last forever and they dry fairly quickly when you sink wash)
Enjoy the planning process for the next few months. It's part of the fun of travel. Read your RS guide book. Watch movies and read the listed books on the website. Also, check out the online scrapbooks on the RS website. They will really get you pumped up.
I also want to add my condolences on your loss. It's a wonderful idea to give yourself something to look forward to. God Bless you.

Posted by
9 posts

Janet, you have just mentioned one of my most favourite simple joys in the world: wool socks :) I will pack light so that I can bring back something lovely and wooly from Ireland! And I will be 'practice packing' and making ruthless decisions on what to bring. I have travelled 10 days in France by train with just a carry-on. And always travel for work with just a carry-on. I might even sell my big suitcases, I don't think I'll ever use them again! But 14-16 days ... this will be a new experience for me. I will have to think very, very carefully.