Please sign in to post.

Electricity Converter?

My husband and I are taking the BOE 21, starting May 27. We were wondering what we need to bring to safely convert our electronics to european current? We'll have to bring a cpap machine, phone chargers, etc. Thanks so much for your help!

Susan Bullok

Posted by
5837 posts

See RS FAQ on electricity:

American appliances run on 110 volts, while European appliances are
220 volts. Today's gadgets are "dual voltage," which means they work
on both American and European current. If you see a range of
voltages printed on the item or its plug (such as "110–220"), you're
OK in Europe.
Some older appliances have a voltage switch marked 110
(US) and 220 (Europe) — switch it to 220 as you pack.

Most phone/electronics "adapters" are multi-voltage 110vac to 240vac and work with 50 Hz or 60 Hz supplies because they are designed to stop down the alternating current to direct current at a low voltage (commonly about 5 vdc). Read the nameplate on your device or device power adaptor.

Posted by
19149 posts

As long as your electronics accepts European voltage (i.e. 230V), European current will be no problem, provided you don't draw more current than the circuit will allow. Most European receptacles are "fused" to some amperage. In Switzerland it's 10a; in UK it's 13a; in Italy it's 10a or 16a; and in most of the rest (German and French Schuko) it's 16a. Of note, the two round pin, ungrounded "Europlug" adapter is limited by codes to 2.5 amps, so you should not use it with a hair dryer,

Your phone (USB) charges will undoubtedly accept 230V, but check the nameplate. Some CPAP machines do as well, but some might not.

Posted by
11350 posts

You need to check the CPAP, look at label or call company, but most electronics are dual voltage and work fine world wide. Uber your CPAP is dual too.

Posted by
11387 posts

Uber your CPAP is dual too.

I must have been asleep under a rock in a cave for the last 20 years, but this statement makes no sense to me.
Please educate me, (and go easy on the ridicule for my ignorance) THANK YOU

Posted by
15552 posts

Uber is probably "I bet" thinking of keyboard layout. Sadly, very few people reread what they typed.

Posted by
33125 posts

I don't see anybody here called uber??!!

Posted by
440 posts

If going to the UK remember you need a three pin adapter aswell as the european two pin.