Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh

Heading to Edinburgh this Saturday from our Best Of Ireland tour which was amazing btw

Any tips on yours, drivers, things to see and do would be greatly appreciated. Also good recommendations

Thank you

Posted by
332 posts

Tips?

It doesn’t rhyme with Pittsburgh. The greatest Edinburgh band are The Proclaimers.

Posted by
2365 posts

How long will.you be there?..That would.help.a.lot with suggestions.

Posted by
991 posts

If you want to venture out of town but not too far, Sterling Castle, The Falkirk Wheel, and The Kelpies are worthwhile.

Posted by
417 posts

We flew to Edinburgh after the Best of Ireland tour. We signed up for a 5 day Grand tour of Scotland with “Heart of Scotland” tours. They are also called “Wee Red Bus” tour. They have 1 day, 2 day, 3 day and 5 day tours. Our Grand tour included Culloden Battlefield, Lochness, Inverness, Eilean Donan Castle, Isle of Skye and Glenfinnan Viaduct. We enjoyed it. We also spent some time on our own in Edinburgh. Another tour company you might want to check out is Rabbies tours. They do several different types of day tours or multi-day tours.

Posted by
8141 posts

Don't know what's going on, but Edinburgh hotels are incredibly busy for the May 26th weekend. And Scottish B&B's are heavily booked and quite expensive the weeks after..

We planned on traveling Scotland by rental car but had to go to Plan B--flying to Rome and catching a cruise around the Mediterranean.

Posted by
332 posts

Don't know what's going on, but Edinburgh hotels are incredibly busy for the May 26th

That will be Harry Styles.

Posted by
6310 posts

Kernow, absolutely! Keeping my eye on next summer’s concert schedule.

TexasTravelmom, me, too! I missed it this year by less than five hundred miles (which I would have walked to hear them)!

Posted by
418 posts

On our Scotland trip in April of 2009, we started Edinburgh with a hike up to Arthur's Seat to look out over the city. Stopped by Parliament building and also the royal residence at Holyrood (though these were not open for visitors at the time). We did quite a bit of walking up and down the Royal Mile. Really enjoyed interior of St Giles' cathedral. Edinburgh Castle was a must, and we walked up to the top of Calton Hill--another great view of the city and hardly anyone up there. Various interesting monuments in that area. Walked around Univ of Edinburgh, Grassmarket Square, cemetery at St Cuthbert, Canongate Kirk (church) and Dunbar's Close (garden).

Posted by
479 posts

Check the schedule for tours at St. Giles. Ours was at 2:30; I don't know how frequently they are offered. It was outstanding!