Please sign in to post.

Combining RS Best of Barcelona and Madrid with Heart of Portugal Tour in April 2016

My husband and I have taken 4 RS tours in the past few years. Now our hearts are set on touring Spain and Portugal. We are specifically looking at the Best of Barcelona and Madrid tour in mid April 2016 and then tacking on the Heart of Portugal tour. Would love advice on making the travel connection from Madrid to Lisbon. Thank you in advance for any suggestions provided. Teressa

Posted by
15582 posts

Fly. There's no direct train and the bus ride is very long and, I'm told, very boring.

Posted by
16893 posts

There is one train per day from Madrid to Lisbon, a direct overnight train. See www.skyscanner.com for budget flights; rates are best when you book ahead.

Posted by
68 posts

Any feedback as to when the RS 2016 tour dates will be posted. Thank you

Posted by
177 posts

Teressa if I remember correctly the dates should start showing up sometime in the middle of August (they appeared mid August last year). I sent you a PM hopefully you got it.

Posted by
140 posts

I'm taking a similar trip this September, although I will be going in the opposite direction. After my husband and I compete our Heart of Portugal tour, we will be flying to Barcelona. We are flying on TAP Portugal Airlines. I thought the price of the flight was very reasonable. We are paying 70 euros one way. There were some flights which cost less than 50 euros, but we opted for the more expensive flight as we were picky as to the time of the flight. It's a short direct flight and there do not appear to be any luggage restrictions/extra fees on this airline. I'm sure there are similar flights that go from Madrid to Lisbon.

Posted by
140 posts

Teressa,
I looked at my airline reservation, and, actually that wasn't 70 euros. It was 70 dollars ($71.34 to be exact). And, as I mentioned previously, there were cheaper flights available. I booked about 5 months in advance.

Terri

Posted by
68 posts

Terri please share your feedback with me once you return from your trip in September. We may follow your lead by first doing Portugal and end with the Barcelona / Madrid tour. Enjoy ! Teressa

Posted by
68 posts

Carole , seeing your reply brought a smile to my face. I did not receive your PM. Please try to resend! Tell Bill hello : )

Posted by
140 posts

Teressa,

Will do! We leave in a little over a month, and I can't wait!
Terri

Posted by
68 posts

Would love to know about the laundry / wash & fold options during both tours. Plus any other tips from your trip. Safe travels and ENJOY !