Please sign in to post.

Change in PreTour testing Requirements beginning in May 2022

From the Rick Steves FAQs
Beginning with our May 2022 tours, we're no longer requiring pre-tour testing, but for departures through April 30, 2022, you need to show proof of a negative COVID-19 viral test (PCR, antigen, or at home telehealth tests are accepted) taken within 48 hours of the first day of your tour. We may reinstate testing requirements at any time and will notify you by email 30 days prior to your tour departure if you need to provide a negative test. Please note, the countries you're visiting may require proof of a negative COVID-19 test for entry, so please make sure to check entry requirements.

Posted by
54 posts

Thank you so much for the update! This IS good news, alleviating a lot of unnecessary worries about difficult or unfair logistics and false positives for travelers. As we concentrate on everyone being fully vaccinated with boosters and being wise, careful and considerate towards ourselves and others through appropriate hygiene, masking when needed, and avoiding overly-crowded spaces, we can responsibly enjoy our travels together. Becoming fully vaccinated and following sensible and science-based personal practices will actually do more at this point to ethically manage this transitional pandemic than testing. Let’s hope the US now lifts their entry testing requirements.

Posted by
2715 posts

Yea! One thing off my to do list. Hopefully by September more countries will not require testing for entrance. And we will all be able to get an additional booster shot (4th shot).
Well said Jon.

Posted by
15 posts

Good news! Jon, you hit it on the mark!
We're hoping to be able get our 2nd booster soon, before our May tour, just to be as protected as possible.

Posted by
227 posts

Very good and logical news. Like Jon said, we now just need USA to drop the test to return mandate and let people choose whether to mask on flights and other public transportation.

Posted by
106 posts

We got our 2nd booster this week, ready for our May Southern England tour! No problems, no reactions and now ready to go!!!

Posted by
6487 posts

Good to hear this news, and I hope it doesn't become necessary to reinstate the pre-tour testing requirement. But I'll still home-test before leaving, since I wouldn't want to travel with Covid (with or without symptoms). Hopefully no one else would either.

Posted by
25 posts

I'm honestly a bit worried, mostly because the US return test is still an issue. If it wasn't for that I would be happy, but since we still have to make sure we're not positive to come back, I feel like removing the test to arrive is just making it a little murkier in regards to knowing if we will be safely negative on return.

I'm on the May 2nd tour so I'll be one of the first guinea pigs for the non-testers.

Posted by
2252 posts

Thank you Carol n r, for this very welcome news! I am hoping no changes between now and 5 May when our tour starts!

Posted by
7025 posts

I feel like removing the test to arrive is just making it a little murkier in regards to knowing if we will be safely negative on return.

Just because RS isn't requiring pre-testing for the tours does not mean you can't just get yourself tested if it will give you more peace of mind. Just do it on your own for yourself.

Posted by
374 posts

Praying that in 17th or 18th of this month when current mask rules in planes is set to expire they go ahead and revoke covid testing to re enter the USA.

Posted by
3 posts

My concern is if we're required to get tested one day before flying home and I take a home test it might be false positive! What happens then?! Can I take a second one and hope it's negative?

Posted by
8342 posts

@Bill. I understand your concern. If a person tests positive with a home test, he/she should immediately retest with an official test. The official test starts the 5 day clock for getting a certificate of recovery to re-enter the US if you are still testing positive after 5 days.

Rick Steves Tours has dealt with this several times now and will know how to assist any tour member who tests positive at the end of the tour. You won’t be alone in figuring this out.

In addition, the people on this forum are always willing to help and give moral support as well.

Posted by
374 posts

I brought 4 self tests and 2 official proctored ones My plan is to self test 7 and 6 days pre return flight home. If positive, take official test on day 6 so I’m ready for certificate 5 days out.

Posted by
46 posts

@RafaFan Do you know if the proctored test counts to start your official 5 day window to return?

Posted by
374 posts

Home tests are not accepted unless proctored by a medical professional (we are only accepting tests performed by a lab such as PCR and Antigen)
You need to have isolated at least between 5-10 days after you tested positive until you can travel

Above is what they told me which the “we are only accepting tests” part is throwing me off. I emailed them for a follow up. I may have to get an official covid test after proctored one comes back positive