Please sign in to post.

car hire in Scotland

I have reserved a car with RentalCar.com (I think that's it), to be picked up in Edinburgh. The car is with Avis but they don't know anything about it due to the 'car hire' place.
Its quite difficult to contact these people to inquire about a change in drop off cities. I wonder if there is a better way to rent a car, or does one have to go through this portal? Our rental is in October.

Posted by
7346 posts

It’s been 5 years, and the situation could be different for any number of reasons, and also we returned the car at the Edinburgh airport but actually picked it up in Inverness. . . but, We rented from Arnold Clark, directly from their Website. They had the best price, the car was very good, and drop off was a totally painless process. Picking it up, at that downtown Inverness location with a pouring rainstorm arriving in just a few minutes, took an unusually long time. It worked great for us, overall.

Whether it’s Arnold Clark in Scotland, or Europcar elsewhere in Europe, or the Drenikov company in Bulgaria, we’ve usually gone direct to the rental company Website, and compared at least 3 different companies. We then book through them. They’re directly available to verify vehicles, policies, or other questions. We haven’t usually gone with a 3rd party rental consolidator.

Posted by
263 posts

We rented directly with Hertz 3 years ago and it was a simple process. Or try Avis directly rather than going through a third party - you may get better results.

Posted by
752 posts

Booking directly with Hertz has worked for me...five separate times, including from downtown Edinburgh at Picardy Place. Of course this was a few years ago before Covid, but I would definitely try them again. I’ve always booked directly although many people on this forum go through Autoeurope, a consolidator.

Posted by
5257 posts

I almost always rent through RentalCar.com, the prices have been cheaper than booking through the rental sites direct and they're usually from the likes of Hertz, Avis, Sixt etc. If you want to speak with Avis to inquire about a change in drop off then call the local office and discuss it with them.

Posted by
4088 posts

I can't recommend from personal experience yet, but in planning for my trip next year we booked through https://www.celticlegend.co.uk/car-rental/. The response from them to my questions has been extremely impressive. They were recommended to me by several people on this forum.

Posted by
1364 posts

I think I was one of the people who recommended Celtic Legend. They were very responsive to all of my e-mailed questions. When I found a lower rate from a rival agency they matched it. They have some sort of connection with Arnold Clark. We picked up the car from Arnold Clark, who were also very nice, gave us an upgrade that included a GPS and did not add an extra charge.