Please sign in to post.

BOE 14 Day April 2018-Suggestions for extra day in Paris and Rome (Start/End of Tour)

I've just booked the Best of Europe 14 day tour for April 29, 2018 and would like suggestions for Paris before the tour starts and Rome after it ends. I will arrive a day early in Paris as I've been before, although 7 years ago, but would like suggestions for things not covered on tour. Not sure whether to add in 1 or 2 days extra to Rome....never been there and would like to know what else to see that the tour doesn't provide. Anyone who did this in 2017 I would appreciate your advice...by the way I am a solo traveller and this is my first Rick Steves Tour!

Thank you!

Posted by
3580 posts

RS Travel will send a booklet in your travel pack. The booklet lists what you will see/do and what you might want to do on you own. You might want to attend a concert in Paris or take a river trip, stroll among the stones at the Pere Lachaise Cemetery, or visit churches not included in the tour. There are many points of interest in Rome. The tour will only visit a few. The Borghese Gallery is popular and may not be included in your tour. This gallery requires a reservation, which should be made a month or more in advance. Refer to your RS Italy 2018 book. Rome is full of churches with remarkable art. In Paris I like to stay in the rue Cler area. This year I stayed at Hotel de L'Alma in Paris. In Rome I prefer lodging near the train station (Termini) for lower rates and convenience to train travel, buses, and metro. I stayed at Hotel Sonya this spring.

Posted by
98 posts

Thank you for your response, I'm trying to decide which dates to book my flights so any information is helpful!

Posted by
98 posts

P.S. When do they send the travel pack?

Posted by
891 posts

Swan is so right about the Borghese. If it's not included on the tour please make reservations for yourself
and go to this gallery. Well worth it. I really enjoy sculptures, because I am not very creative and I can appreciate how talented the sculptors were. The entry to the Borghese is by advance appointment only (I called on the phone and made the appointment this way. Make sure you call during their daytime open hours. It's easy) and your entry allows you to 2 hours in the museum. Then they clear out and let the next group in.
The building itself is beautiful. Look it up online and you will be hooked.

We have taken 7 RS tours. Not the Best of Europe, but others. Our experience is that there is usually a short stay in the last city stop. Since you have never been to Rome before I would add at least 2 full days there. So much to see, and appreciate. By the time the tour ends you may be tired and just taking some extra time in Rome at leisure will be nice. Always is for us. PM me if you have more questions. If I can answer I will. Don't know everything, but I truly love Rome!

Posted by
98 posts

Thank you Mimi....I definitely PM you with further questions after I've booked my flights. I did read somewhere museums in Rome are closed on Mondays? Not sure how recent that was but the tour ends Saturday morning so my extra day(s) would be Sat/Sun and maybe Monday! Do you know if this is so?

Posted by
385 posts

Lynn, we did the BOE14 tour in 2015 and it was wonderful. We arrived in Paris a couple days prior and got to the top of the Eiffel Tower, enjoyed a Seine river cruise at sunset, attended 5:00pm Sunday Mass at Notre Dame, stopped into Shakespeare and Company, spent leisurely mornings in the markets of Rue Cler and indulged in way too much gelato at Berthillon (Ile Saint Louis) in the afternoons. There's so much to appreciate in this city, even the extra days didn't allow enough bandwidth for seeing the Opera House, Sacre Coeur, the Montmarte District, Les Invalides or several other venues we thought we could squeeze in beforehand. We 'could' have hit all the spots I guess, but we didn't want to marginalize the time and enjoyment we were experiencing by running all over, nor did we want to be exhausted before the 'real' two-week itinerary began (we also found it beneficial to go at a leisurely pace while we shook off jet lag and adjusted to Central Europe Time Zone). It really comes down to what interests you and then prioritizing those experiences. Our (Paris pre-tour) philosophy was to hold off on museums until the tour officially started, as the multi-day pass provided with tour includes entry into most of Paris' significant museums. So in addition to the tour-included Louvre visit, several of us went to Musee d'Orsay and Orangerie during Day Two's free afternoon.

As for Rome, again there's no shortage of what you could opt to do. We took an extra day after the tour concluded there and spent it across the Tiber in Trastevere. But the Galleria Borhese or Vatican Museum would be excellent choices as well (in our [2015] instance, the Vatican Museum was part of BOE14, or that would've been our extra day plan). Piazza Navona is a fantastic place just to hang out; we went there during some free time (and well into the night after final dinner) on Day Thirteen, but if your group doesn't go there it would make for a great extra-day destination.

Bottom-line, you're going on a fantastic tour. You'll be amazed all the different senses this itinerary conjures, as you go from big cities to charming small towns... France - Switzerland - Bavaria - Italy... an incredible two-week romp thru Europe's jewel countries. Have a GREAT trip!

Posted by
201 posts

Just completed the BOE 14 day tour. The day before the tour started in Paris we did a tour of the Orsay and the day the tour ended in Rome we did the Rick Steves walking tours of the Jewish Getto and Teverese using the podcasts. We loved both walking tours but the tour of Teverese was a highlight.

Posted by
98 posts

Thank you Matt and Carol_Frampton for you replies, they are very helpful. All your suggestions sound great. I have been to Paris before but never the River Seine cruise because of weather so hope to do that at least. I know jet lag will be an issue coming from California but I work so I'm trying to keep the time to 2 weeks, I think I'll fly out Friday, arrive early Saturday. The tour starts 3:00 pm Sunday.

I'm wonderng how tired you are at the end, I think I'll just stay one extra night, tour ends Saturday morning so I'll stay that night and fly home Sunday. As you just got back Carol, maybe you can comment on that? Were you OK staying just one extra day, even though you may not have seen everything? At some point I have to go home and if I'm able to pack lightly I'm sure I'll be desperate for some clean cothes by then!!

Posted by
98 posts

Hi Carol_Frampton,

A question for you about your time in Rome...I was just told the hotel in Rome is Hotel Selene...did you stay there and if so did you spend your extra night there at the end? I don't really want to move if it's in a good location and a nice hotel! We also start in Paris at Hotel Tilsit Etoile...did you stay there? I was going to do my extra night there for convenience if it is a good pick.

Thank you!

Posted by
54 posts

I don't have any answers just wanted to comment that I am doing this tour two weeks after you are :). It will be our (my husband and mine) 1st RS tour as well. We have the same two hotels in Paris and Rome. I extended the tour by one night on either side. Our thoughts on Paris are that we will do the Eiffel tower and we are also hoping to do a Paris by Mouth tour. We don't want to plan too much as we need time to rest before the tour starts .http://parisbymouth.com/paris-food-tours/
For Rome, we are hoping to either do the Borghese Gallery on Saturday or the Appian Way. I forgot about the RS walking tours via phone app though-we used those in London and loved them. Maybe we will look into doing that as well in Rome. :)

Posted by
98 posts

Thanks for the food tour tip Deb, I will look at that. I'm thinking I will stay an extra 2 nights in Rome, having talked to those who have been I want to fit in the Borghese Gallery, Vatican Museum/Sistene Chapel and then a day exploring maybe Trastavere, not sure yet. So much to see but only so much time of course, have to get back to work to save for the next trip!

Posted by
154 posts

Hi Lynn. My husband and I were on the My Way Europe tour in September/October of 2015 and our group stayed at the Hotel Selene. It's a nice enough place to extend for a night or two - it's a good location, the beds were comfortable, the breakfast good and the front desk staff was absolutely terrific. They helped us print our boarding passes, were very patient when there was a problem with one of my credit cards, and called a taxi for us to go to the airport - we shared the taxi with another couple on the tour, thus lowering both of our costs. Please note that this hotel had the most stairs of any on the tour but we all tried our best to be good natured about it. The hotel does have a small elevator but when you see a sign that says something like "One adult with luggage" or "Two adult minimum" believe it!! Several of the younger folks in our group came back to the hotel on our last night, didn't heed the sign and ended up trapped and had to be rescued by the fire department. Our group can laugh about it now but believe me, it wasn't funny to them at the time. When you see the size of it you'll understand. I think there were 10 of us who stayed on an extra day and we all did something different during the day, but most of us ended up having dinner together that last night - very nice way to end the tour.

Posted by
13934 posts

I'll agree with Liz's assessment of the Hotel Selene. I stayed there for a couple of nights before my first RS tour in 2013. The tour hotel was Hotel Sonya which is right down the street. I would easily stay at Selene again and I agree with the comment about the stairs. One RS guide told me that in the older buildings in Rome the ceilings are really high so you actually have 2 runs of stairs for each floor. The AC was good and the bathrooms were way bigger than the ones at the Sonya.

I, too, found the desk staff there very nice.

I would stay as many days before and after that you can. Before, not just to get over jet lag so you can hit the ground running with the tour but to give yourself some lee-way in case of flight cancellations or diversions, etc.

I've done 8 RS tours, 5 of those as a solo participant. I have always had a wonderful time! You will want to check out what you want to do in your free time so you have a plan but then have ability to change it up and go with something else that sounds interesting that others might be doing. OR you might have chosen the most interesting option and others might want to join you!

On your Switzerland day, don't fret. The guide usually organizes something that people can participate in if they choose. If the weather is clear s/he might organize a trip up the Shilthorn (they may pay for the tickets so they can get you a group rate, then group members will reimburse) or possibly a trip down to Truemmelbach Falls.

That reminds me of something else - on the 21BOE the guide did several optional dinners and other things. One was the Schilthorn, another was a gondola ride in Venice. I'd suggest you do everything the guide offers, lol!! The cable cars in Switzerland are expensive but just do it. The pay-off is great!

Posted by
891 posts

The Borghese Gallery is closed on Mondays. The Capitoline Museum and Vatican Museums are open on Mondays as are the Jewish Museum and the Castel San Angelo Museum.

Posted by
10 posts

Hi Lynn,

I'm excited for you! I did BOE 14 as my first RS tour, solo last year and had an absolutely outstanding time all the way. (heading out next week on my 2nd RS tour to S. Italy) I concur with lots of suggestions here. I gave myself 3 days in Paris ahead of time and did the Eiffel tour (get tix ahead of time) and Seine cruise the evening of my first day after arrival from the Bay Area. I did take a brief nap at my hotel-- yep Tilsett Etoile too. It was great to be on the Seine at Sunset and after dark---bring warm clothes! I was there at the same time you're planning and we got snow flurries falling on the blossoming cherry trees. Paris highlights not on the tour that I enjoyed ahead of time were L'Orangerie (stunning 360 degree Monet rooms) the Cluny (Unicorn tapestries) paired with a stroll through the Latin Quarter, and Les Invalides (Napoleon's tomb and an amazing and sobering military history museum). Another choice I wish I'd had time for is Montmartre. TBH, I mostly just enjoyed taking in Paris and mastering the easy metro system. I also stayed a couple of days after in Rome. Unless they've changed it back, the Vatican museum and St Peter's were not on our tour itinerary so that was my highest priority. There's a free afternoon when some tour members arranged for the Borghese, and our guide took us on a bonus after dinner walk one evening to Trevi and Spanish steps, but you could do those as well. Otherwise, yes, the churches of Rome are amazing. Use Rick's book and pick the ones you want. You're going to have a wonderful, memorable time. Ciao and bon voyage!

Posted by
98 posts

Thank you everyone for your informative replies! I have booked my flights now, fly into Paris one day early and the River Seine trip at dusk is top of my list. I stayed in Monmartre before and loved it...might go back for a visit! I'm staying an extra 2 days in Rome and will do the Vatican Museums and Cistene Chapel and would like to see Travestere from what I've read about it. I will study my RS books and have a bucket list to choose from no doubt! Can't wait for April and thank you Harry for the tip about the weather at the end of April in Paris! I live in California but I grew up in England an I know what Spring weather in that part of the world can be like! I'm guessing packing for end of April/early May might be a bit challenging on this Best of Europe tour as Italy will no doubt be warmer than the other countries! I'm not good at packing light!
Can't wait to leave!
Enjoy Southern Italy Harry...I met someone who is best friends with Tomasso, a guide that does the S. Italy tours and heard wonderful things about him and that tour!
Regards,
Lynn

Posted by
23 posts

We will have two days in France prior to returning to the States upon completion of our Tour. My research yielded up a wonderful Medieval city - Provins. We have rented a car for the drive from CDG to Provins (about 50 miles). In addition, we found what looks to be a wonderful hotel in a restored 1200's complex.