Please sign in to post.

Best of turkey 5/4/2020

Anyone else going on this one? I’m super excited. Looking for an approachable book on Turkish history. Any recommendations?

Posted by
132 posts

I'm also on this tour! Very excited to visit somewhere I've never been, but that has been near the top of my wish list for several years. I also like to read books about the places I'm visiting before I visit them so I'll be following along to see if you get any suggestions.

Posted by
3234 posts

I’m not on this tour, but you could check out Great Courses and take the one on the Ottoman Empire. I took one before our Greece tour and watched 24 lectures on Ancient Greek history. They can be pricey, but have good sales.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks for that advice! I'm actually listening to it already (one credit on audible!) Good to know it's a good one. :)

Posted by
15593 posts

1453 by Roger Crowley. History that reads like a novel. It gave me a much better understanding of Istanbul (though I read it after my visits), as well as history. While it covers a very short period, it is one of the most critical/influential of the city and the empire. I love audio books, but I read this in paperback and constantly referred back to the maps.