Please sign in to post.

Best of Scotland Tour May 2019

We are all booked, including our flts and extra nights hotel for the Best of Scotland Tour in May of 2019. So excited and can't wait for this experience. Would love to hear from you that have taken this tour and if you have any advice to give. Thanks
Stephen

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. Makes me even more excited!

Posted by
545 posts

I took this trip in September 2017 and enjoyed it very much. Scotland is so nice and the tour includes a good variety of places and things to do. Make sure you have a good waterproof rain jacket. My favorite things were the cathedral ruins in St. Andrews, the visit to the Isle of Iona, fish and chips in Oban, Stirling Castle, Valley of Glencoe, and just walking around Edinburgh. Our guide, Brian Hay, was very good. We learned so much from him. I think May should be a great time to go, post a trip report when you get back!

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you Kathy for your reply...will make sure to have rain wear just in case...though Rick Steves said to prepare for the best scenario, not the worst.

Posted by
786 posts

We're looking at that tour next May, too. What dates are your going?

Posted by
12 posts

We are booked for May 27-June 5th. Arriving on the 26th and adding two more days at the end to explore Edinburgh a bit more and Glasgow too.

Posted by
13931 posts

I enjoyed this tour in June and also did a trip report.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/tours/tour-report-best-of-scotland-june-6-june-15-2018

I'm not sure where you are from but I'd prepare for wet and cool weather. I live in N. Idaho and can usually manage most temperatures with a SS tee and a waterproof jacket ( a must for this tour - NOT water resistant, NOT a poncho, NOT an umbrella) but also wore a long sleeve Dri-fit top or sweater parts of all days on our June trip. I actually wore glove liners on the day we did Mull and Iona as it was quite chilly with wind and rain.

Which hotel does your tour use in Edinburgh?

Loved the National Museum of Scotland which is so big that you can visit more than once if you have the time. Our walking tour of Edinburgh ended up there so I went in then and then another time on independent days after the tour ended. I had on the list but did not get to Rosslyn Chapel, the Botanical Gardens, the HMS Britannia and the National Museum of Art.

If either you or your travel partner are in to gardens, consider skipping the building at Cawdor Castle and spending all your time in the gardens. We did the house/castle first and yes, it was interesting but WOW the gardens blew our collective socks off!

Have a wonderful time!

Posted by
12 posts

Hello Pam-

I did come across your comments on your trip and appreciated your insights. Our tour is staying at B-B Edinburgh which looks like a lovely hotel and we will stay there the night before the tour and for two days after the tour as we know there will be things to see that are not in the tour's plans. We have lived in Phoenix that past 3 years after 15 years in the NE and I grew up in Seattle so appreciate the damp chill we may encounter. I am planning to layer clothing but I do plan to wear my kilts while there. I wear them here in Phoenix in all but the hottest weather in summer and have worn them in Seattle when it was mid 60's with no issues so feel confident wearing them in Scotland. Thanks for getting in touch.
Stephen

Posted by
13931 posts

Stephen, you will fit right in! Yes, it was very normal to just see guys on the street in a kilt. My brother bought a gorgeous Harris Tweed waistcoat in Edinburgh. He tried it on before the tour started, then went back to the same store after the tour finished and had another go at it. He actually has worn it a couple of times since we got home in mid-June altho the heat wave we've had the last few days has put it in the back of his closet!

Seattle area with rain and wind and maybe a bit more bite in the air would describe Mull and Iona!

Posted by
556 posts

Do bring a variety of layers. I went in August, and we had all kinds of weather.

Also, I suggest, you bring some Dramamine. Traveling in the bus through the winding roads in the Highlands induced motion sickness in several of the passengers. I felt a bit queasy myself. If you don't need it, you might find that some of your traveling companions will be very grateful if you have some to share.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you, Kateja for the suggestions. We plan to bring some fleece to don when needed along with a water proof jacket. Your suggestions on the Dramamine is a good one too. Never hurts to take some prior to getting on the bus as a preventative.