Please sign in to post.

Best of Scotland in 10 Days June 2018

Let me start off by saying how much my wife and I enjoyed our trip. The entire group was friendly and everyone got on very well, we met people we want to maintain a relationship with and even met people that lived in the same places we did in the past.

Our guide was a delight! She mixed humor in with her historical narratives. She was a great source of information and it is quite evident that she loves Scotland very much. She was flexible in a way that made the tour enjoyable but at the same time allowed all of the places we were to see and things to do happen.

Everyone will have their favorite activity or place on their tour, but I enjoyed the Highlands the most. The mountains and lakes formed by the last ice age is very similar to the topography of upstate New York that was also formed during the last ice age.

Learning of the struggle of the Scots for freedom over the past centuries as very poignant. It doesn't matter if you are of Scots
heritage or not, you can relate to their desire for full autonomy.

Our hotel rooms were top notch, better than any of the major chains we have stayed in. The dinners provided had a set menu but the choices and the food was very good. Everyone had free time to explore and find their own places to eat in; that is part of the fun.

We saw the arrival of guests for what I guess was a upper class wedding. Most of the men wore kilts and each couple was piped as they walked up the sidewalk from the parking lot. The wedding car was a Rolls-Royce!

Lets see, we saw working sheep dogs and that was very impressive. We rode a cable car to the top of a ski slope, visited a Crannog, saw 4,000 year old cairns and took a ferry to Iona. Lets just say that the activities were varied and interesting.

I can't end this without mentioning our coach driver; he was very engaging personally and could drive that coach in seemingly impossible traffic and road conditions. We trusted him completely.

This was our first Rick Steves' tour and our first visit to Scotland. We will definitely plan on doing another tour.

Posted by
5261 posts

We saw the arrival of guests for what I guess was a upper class wedding. Most of the men wore kilts and each couple was piped as they walked up the sidewalk from the parking lot. The wedding car was a Rolls-Royce!

It was probably not an upper class wedding, many weddings feature a hired Rolls-Royce or similar prestige car. Kilts are common attire for any marriage with a Scottish link and the same with bagpipes, my wife and I had a kilted piper at our wedding (my father in law was Scottish) and we are definitely not upper class!

Posted by
2252 posts

I was thrilled to read your Scotland trip report as I will be on this tour mid September. It sounds like it is going to be a wonderful experience! I am really looking forward to visiting Scotland and I thank you for your information and opinions on the itinerary, activities, food, lodging, guide and driver! I know we will enjoy this tour. Thanks for posting.

Posted by
2506 posts

Learning of the struggle of the Scots for freedom over the past centuries as very poignant. It doesn't matter if you are of Scots
heritage or not, you can relate to their desire for full autonomy.

Freedom? In what way are the Scots not free?

Posted by
1220 posts

ramblin-on - the Scots have been oppressed by the English for much of their history. Think Edward I and II vs. Robert the Bruce. Or there are the decimation of the border areas by the Earls of Hereford etc... and the violence perpetrated by Henry VIII to try and get Scotland to agree to let Mary Queen of Scots marry his son Edward so Scotland would be under the thumb of the English. The Scottish Jacobite Kings being kicked off the throne of England for being Catholic with a German installed in their place and after their defeat in the risings the English decimated the highlands physically and culturally. If you are an Outlander fan the 1st couple of books deals with this and Bonnie Prince Charlie. There are a lot of really interesting reads on these topics. Fascinating stuff.

Posted by
3225 posts

Thank you for this mini-trip report. We go to Scotland in a couple of weeks, although we are not on a tour. Can’t wait to see some hairy coo’s!

Posted by
12 posts

Just returned from the Scotland tour, it was amazing! Beautiful scenery, fascinating history, comfortable hotels and very knowledgeable, hard-working guides. Thank you!