Please sign in to post.

Best of Ireland 14 Day tour

Greetings - we will be on the 14 day Ireland tour in a couple of weeks - and wondering from those of you who have done that tour, any suggestions on what you wish you had brought- or didn't bring on the trip. Also, in looking at the itinerary, and with the general chance of rain there (we are bringing good rain jackets!) , did you feel you needed some sort of hiking shoe/sneaker?

Any and all tips and tricks appreciated....Thanks.

Posted by
135 posts

It is a wonderful tour!!! I wish I had brought less to bring home more stuff - picked up some lovely glasses in Dingle on the day of rest and lovely scarves in Dublin and Aran Island day. Def try to waterproof your shoes a bit with a spray, there was really only one day I got really wet - my jacket saved me, but feet got a bit soggy. Was a wonderful trip - though if I was to do it again, I would skip out on the Aran Islands day (Rick loves it LOL) and explore Galway instead. YMMV.
Be sure to go a day early to visit Newgrange on a tour and the Guiness factory!
https://emeraldisletrip.weebly.com this is a link to my scrapbook from that trip...you can also find on the RS under 2014 tours Ireland

Posted by
1078 posts

First, your going to love this tour!!
I recommend you take the following items:
1) Waterproof rain shell ( not water resistant)
2) Fleece jacket/pullover
3) flat rubber sink stopper (you will thank me for this)
4) Good pair of hiking shoes, like Merrell Moab's
5) Clothes line from the Rick Steves travel store (These work very well)
6) UK plug adapter and check you electronics to make sure they can take 220 volts (From the Rick Steves store)
7) A travel size multi-plug in bar ( use the UK plug adapter to plug the multi-outlet into the wall and then run all your electronics off of it, because often there will only be one or two wall outlets in your room)

Posted by
34 posts

We took this tour last June, and after we left Dublin it was cool and rainy. I wish I had brought some Smartwool long sleeve base layers and rain pants. Enjoy!

Posted by
1823 posts

Funny, but proof we are all individuals with different likes and dislikes. I took this tour pre-covid and LOVED it. I also loved the Aran Islands and didn't like Galway at all. I especially liked Dingle also and our hotel there was so great and breakfast was amazing. I took walking sticks as I have wonky knees and they really helped in places like Dun Aengus where you walk up uneven ground to get to the ruins,, My regular sneakers worked fine for me. But I did use spray water proofing on my rain resistant only jacket and that really helped me not get soaked. However, we actually had lovely weather most of the tour. Be sure to take lots of photos and keep a journal.

Posted by
234 posts

We went last September. Dublin weather was good except for 1 rainy day and a few sprinkles. We got our “Irish baptism “ (per Declan) at the Rock of Cashel. The day to Charles Fort was rainy but seemed to clear so we walked back—big downpour though it cleared later. My shoes and socks were soaked. Luckily I had 2 pairs and the next stop in Dingle had laundry service and the shoes dried. The rest of the trip was dry.
Glad I brought—2 pairs of shoes.

Posted by
6501 posts

It's a great tour, I took it almost a year ago. Rain is inevitable some of the time. I was glad for sturdy walking shoes (not hiking boots) in various places. Dun Aengus was probably the most difficult walking, fortunately the weather was beautiful. It's an optional walk but definitely a highlight. I liked Galway well enough but didn't need more than a couple of evenings there, would have hated to miss the Aran day.

I had several days in Dublin before the tour started, which were very worthwhile. This tour to Newgrange was another highlight.