Please sign in to post.

Best of Germany in 13 Days Tour

I'd like to hear from those who have taken this tour.

I am a Rick Steves fan for decades. I like to see the best and move on. So I rarely spend more than an hour in any museum.

For a number of years I was a travel consultant for independent travelers to France. Recently I have started to travel by public transportation relying extensively on Google Earth to plan. An exceptionally savvy traveler, wherever I am I can find the best restaurant for miles.

Now this year at age 77 I am goiing to jump on the tour bus twice – in Morocco in April and in Germany at last (my French wife had refused countless times).

How did you like this trip? Do you think I would like this trip?

Did you get a good taste of Germany past and present?

Was the absence of air conditioning in most hotels a problem?

Did you enjoy the dinners the tour provided?

Posted by
30 posts

My husband and I took the BOG tour in 2018. It was our first RS tour, we really enjoyed it. I was very tired by the end and Berlin was hot, but I wouldn't change it. Our guide Carolina is a history expert and we learned soo much. The food was great, Carolina took us to some amazing places for dinner. I would do some training before your tour,, walking 3-4 miles at a time, but if you are in good shape, you shouldn't have a problem.

Posted by
79 posts

This was my first tour (Rick Steves or otherwise) when I took it 2 years ago in September. I loved it. I found that we had plenty of free time to explore on our own (and not spend hours in a museum if you weren't interested). Our guide was Torben Brown, and he was exceptional - so knowledgeable and helpful, and his discussions about both history and current challenges added a great deal to the tour. I learned so much from him.. I really enjoyed being able to go to smaller towns that aren't on the usual tour route - especially Erfurt. The hotels were all nice, comfortable and very centrally located. I enjoyed the group dinners and we had plenty of nights to go off and explore local restaurants on our own. I loved this trip!!

Posted by
1379 posts

I think this is just too much activity for my wife.
I will delete this topic soon.
Thank you for your comments.

Posted by
8889 posts

Please do not delete this topic. People don't just answer your questions for you, others come and search the forum for answers.
If you delete a topic, they don't find an answer, have to ask again, then people have to answer again.

Posted by
1379 posts

I'm reconsidering today.
This trip is not too strenuous for us.
And it is 11 1/2 days of activity which justifies the price a little more.

Posted by
1833 posts

Andrew, one of the things I enjoy most about these tours is that you are treated like an adult and can decide for yourself if you'd like to participate in any scheduled activity. All you need to do is let your guide and/or travel buddy know you won't be joining in when the group gathers to do something together. I haven't taken the tour so can't answer your other questions but I have spent time in Berlin, Hamburg, Munich and other places in Bavaria. I really enjoyed what I saw and experienced, especially Berlin.

Posted by
1379 posts

Thank you, andi

I am considering this Rick Steves tour vs another, more conventional, less expensive and slightly shorter tour. I am developing a few more questions. I hope I may send them to you.

Of course, I have never been on an organized bus tour, my French wife does not speak much English, and I am hardly thrilled by the prospect of rolling my valise a couple of blocks and carrying it upstairs.

Posted by
6060 posts

Have you considered just traveling there independently? If you're an "exceptionally savvy traveler" and already live in France (I assume), then traveling in Germany should be a piece of cake and no different than anywhere else in Europe. Their transport system is excellent and easy to navigate and connects just about any place to another. The price of the tour is a bit high for your wife not to be able to take advantage of it - most of the value is the labor cost for the tour guide and their expertise. If you're picky about food and can find "the best", then you may be disappointed in Rick's group restaurant picks as well.

This is a whirlwind tour that personally wouldn't appeal to me. I spent over a month in Germany, it's a huge country. Two nights in Berlin is just way too short, although it could be ok if you have no in-depth interest in museums.

Posted by
1833 posts

I am agreeing with what Agnes posted. I spent 10 days in Berlin alone and would (and will, some day!) happily return for a longer stay. It's a truly amazing city. From the itinerary, this tour will give you a "taste" of the places it covers but of course, that's the idea behind taking a Rick Steves tour-so you can return and explore in depth the places that interest you and your wife. The upside is that all your logistics (transportation, hotels, sites) are planned for you and the guides are really awesome. Whatever you decide will be the best for you both!

Posted by
2902 posts

Andrew, I think that you are wise to consider the language aspect for your wife. The tour is done in English and very few, if any, of your fellow travelers will speak French at a level that will make conversation easy for her.

You mentioned earlier that she really hasn't wanted to go to Germany and you are worried about the physical and language demands. Why not consider going on this one yourself? I know going on vacation without one's spouse sounds a little strange, but if she really isn't eager to go, why not?

If you don't want to do luggage handling, I would see that as an issue with a Rick Steves Tour. Consider Tauck tours.

Posted by
1379 posts

Thanks, Carol.
I'm afraid you have exaggerated many of the aspects.
We are going. It's just a matter of the style of the tour.

Posted by
1379 posts

I was going to pose more questions, but I think I have a found a 3rd tour whose price is all too reasonable.

Posted by
7606 posts

Just make sure it's not "too good to be true" kind of reasonable! A trite phrase but on a tour you generally do get what you pay for.

Posted by
1379 posts

Thanks for your concern, but it's just a more suitable version of the second tour I was considering and the dates work very well for me personally. Can fly Lufthansa to/from Frankfurt Intl.