Please sign in to post.

Best of England tour

We are on the Best of Glastonbury tour June 19

Does anyone who has done this tour know if we will be able to visit Glastonbury Tor on the day we visit Glastonbury?

Posted by
13906 posts

Possibly...if you opt out of visiting the Abbey you might have time to quickly walk up to the top of the Tor and back down to meet the group at the assigned time. I'd discuss this with your guide before you set off. Also you will want to let your tour "buddy" know you are separating from the group.

I have not walked to the top of the Tor but one one of my tours there (have done both a Rick Steves tour and a Road Scholar tour that stopped here) one person went up.

Posted by
2370 posts

The tour itinerary says you will be having a picnic on the hill, unless I am reading it wrong.

Posted by
531 posts

My bad … our tour start 6/19…. I guess I was still on Switzerland calendar

Posted by
531 posts

I think it says in the shadow of the abbey ruins which is a 20 min walk. I have always wanted to visit the Tor.

Posted by
13906 posts

It’s been several years but our picnic lunch was in a picnic shelter on the Abbey grounds. Unknown if that is still where they will set up lunch this year or not.

Posted by
531 posts

Thanks Pam for your advice…I will make reminder to clear it with our guide:)

Posted by
740 posts

My September 2019 BOE tour did not go to the Tor. As I recall, we visited the Abbey, had some free time to explore town, then had a picnic on the Abbey grounds. I don't believe anyone broke away from the group to visit the Tor.

Glastonbury is cool.

Posted by
4 posts

We did the tour in 2017 and while the exact details are a bit hazy I do remember we were offered the option to climb the Tor and 2 couples did so. The rest of the tour group had a tour of the Abbey grounds, a picnic lunch, and then free time to walk around Glastonbury.

The RS Tour office is helpful; if you call they should be able to tell you if you'd be able to climb the Tor that day.