Please sign in to post.

Best of England in 14 days in September 2016--adding 2 days in Bath

My sister and I are so excited for our trip to England, and because the flight from California is so long, we are arriving in Bath a few days early to get rested and ready for the tour. Any suggestions of things we might do that are not covered in the group tour? Love hearing what other travelers have done.

Posted by
619 posts

Go to Wells. It's a small but lively Somerset market town with a stunning cathedral. There are frequent buses from Bath and the journey takes 1 hour 15 minutes.

Posted by
1220 posts

I believe Wells is part of the tour so I wouldn't do that. Fashion Museum, Number 1 Royal Crescent, walk along the canal, Farleigh Hungerford Castle is only 9 miles and looks fascinating but I don't know if you would need a car to get there or not. You might be able to take a train to Salisbury.

Posted by
528 posts

Here is a website that I used for ideas about Bath. This is a similar site to the one a previous poster published, except it is for Bath.

Posted by
13929 posts

Wells and Glastonbury are included.

Depending on when in Sept, there is the Jane Austen festival on the 2nd and 3rd weekends, I think. I planned my trip last year to coincide, lol.

I also enjoyed #1 Royal Crescent which someone mentioned and the Holburne Museum. I had been to Bath before so I also chose to walk up to see the Palladian Bridge in Prior Park on one of my pre-days last year.

Skip the Jane Austen Centre-it's overpriced, Jane never lived there, and they have nothing original of hers on display!

Do go in Bath Abbey. You'll see it from the outside but wont go in.

If you want a day trip you might consider Salisbury. It's an easy train ride.

This is a terrific tour! Have fun! I loved Tom my guide and Ben the bus driver. SO funny!

Posted by
4821 posts

The Evensong Service at Bath Abby is really quite nice regardless of one's religious persuasions.

Posted by
4 posts

We are doing that same tour in early September. We will be in Bath for 2 extra days. We are doing number 1 royal crescent, scarper tour to Stonehenge, fashion museum., and the Holborn museum. Or at least that is the plan right now.

Posted by
2469 posts

Definitely visit the Fashion Museum and Bath Abbey. The Abbey is architecturally interesting and also contains a book listing the names and addresses of Bath residents who died during a Nazi bombing raid the weekend of Apr 22, 1942. The Nazis purposely targeted towns like Bath they knew had tourists as well as civilian residents. Reading the names and ages was very moving and brings a little-known detail of WWII to light.

We attended a wonderful play there - I don't recall the name of the theatre but we saw a flyer advertising it at our B&B where we stayed.

We were there in Nov. 2013.
This tour looks wonderful, it is on my list. Have a great time!

Judy B

Posted by
12 posts

I apologize for butting in, but I am taking same tour (mine starts on 9/20), arriving a day early and gathering possibilities. Does anyone know why Holburne Museum is not reviewed in RS guidebook? Has anyone been to both Holburne and the Victoria Art Gallery, that could compare for me? Thank you.

Posted by
80 posts

The Theatre Royal in Bath is a beautiful, historic smaller theater. Bath Abbey. There is a wonderful park along the river near Pulteney Bridge. If you like Italian food, Martini's restaurant on George Street. If you like Indian food, Rajpoot near Pulteney Bridge.

Posted by
13929 posts

I've done the Holburne but not the Victoria which is on my list for this time. Last fall the Holburne had a fantastic special exhibit of Canaletto's which was on my mind thru the rest of the house, lol. I believe the Holburne is bigger and there is also a charge.

Posted by
650 posts

I'd stay somewhere other than Bath with your extra nights since Bath is covered by the tour. Oxford and Cambridge are both easy to reach from London. I'm not a huge fan of Stratford Upon Avon but it's close to Oxford (a hou and a half by train) and other people like it. Canterbury perhaps? The tour doesn't go south, and Canterbury is charming. Really anywhere within a couple hours of London that interests you: Dover, Portsmouth, Salisbury, Or spend some extra time in London. There's plenty to do in London.

Posted by
4821 posts

Forgot to mention it in the prior post, but consider having tea and scones at The Pump Room. Yes, it is a little pricey, but in my opinion it is well worth it. Just consider it a "be nice to myself" splurge. Google it and see what you think.

Posted by
2469 posts

Yes, I agree with TC - have tea at the Pump Room. We enjoyed it immensely. It was decorated for Christmas which added to our enjoyment!
Judy B

Posted by
4 posts

I appreciate everyone's input! I have emailed The Pump Room and found they are having a special Jane Austen Tea while we are in Bath...looking forward to that!