Please sign in to post.

Basque Country of Spain and France

Has anyone been on this tour or going on it? I'm going on this tour July 10-July 18 2015. I got my tour book and map in the mail a couple of days ago so I'm getting really exited to go even though I have a few months to go still. This is the first time I've ever taken a guided tour and I'm going on my own. From reading this website and the travel forum I'm assuming that most people on the trip are going to be open to adventure, like meeting people and exited about seeing another part of the world. I'm going to spend 5 days in Barcelona on my own before joining the group in Bayonne France. I don't have any real questions but love to hear about anything travel related. So if anyone has been on this tour or been to Barcelona and has any input/advise/stories I'd love to hear about them.

Posted by
210 posts

Being an "alumni" of this tour, I think it is one of the hidden "gems" of all of the RS Tours. Having been on 9 RS tours….the vast majority (I am have experienced a few grumps…..just move on..…let them be who they are) of the tour members are friendly, welcoming, non-shoppers, and eager to travel……no problems here! You will love it! The food is OUTSTANDING on this trip!!!!!!!!!!! Go hungry! The history is fascinating and not well-known, but the Basques have been very influential. Your tour takes in the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona……that's fantastic! My tour was there a few days before the Festival of San Fermin…..Pamplona was buzzing!

The Guggenheim in Bilbao, the GREAT food, the hike along the El Camino de Santiago, the chocolates in Bayonne, Guernica, the Pintxo crawl in San Sebastian, and did I mention the GREAT food?

Great trip choice! You will have lots of fun with new travel friends…..and eat a lot of great food!

Posted by
3580 posts

This was my last--and probably final--Rick Steves tour. I loved it. The length of the tour is perfect for being with a group; the pace of the tour was good; the guide and FOOD couldn't be improved on.