Please sign in to post.

Athens and Heart of Greece 8/31-9/13, 2019

Just signed onto this trip......wondering if anyone else has....

Posted by
610 posts

We took it last year, and believe it to be our favorite of 5 RS tours that we have taken! Have a lovely time!

Posted by
3961 posts

Our top favorite tour in 2017. Such fond memories! Enjoy.

Posted by
166 posts

We went on this tour in May of 2017 and it is the favorite of the all our RS tours. If you plan on swimming in the Aegean Sea (you will get several chances) make sure that you take a pair of neoprene booties, like what divers wear, because the beaches are made up of small pebbles that are painful to bare feet! We swam 3 different times and loved it. When your on the island of Hydra consider having dinner at the Sunset Restaurant, great food and the view in the evening is unforgettable! Be adventurous when it comes to trying different foods, the Greek cuisine is excellent and a highlight of the tour. Hope you have a great trip.

Posted by
15582 posts

One more tip - get in good shape physically. I took the tour in spring, before the hot weather, and I didn't find it unduly strenuous. But in the heat of summer, all that up and down walking, and long periods with little or no shade, will take its toll.

Posted by
3961 posts

Have to concur with Chani. The tour is one of the most active tours we've taken. We spent the month of September in Greece two years ago. When we arrived in Athens it was in the mid 90's. By mid tour it was in the 80's. We extended our time in the Greek Islands. It was "tolerable" by then! If you have limitations you can always opt out of optional activities. We are active Seniors, so we had no issues. All said, this was our favorite RS Tour! We loved everything Greece.

Posted by
99 posts

Took this tour October 2018 and really enjoyed it. I second the water shoes suggestion, although I ended up not swimming at all. Also, I would highly suggest that if you want to do some hardcore hiking, the hiking maps the tour leader keeps (our guide Colin kept around 4 copies at each location) really is helpful. The trails are marked with color coded icons, but sometimes, it was really hard to see the turnoff point.

Posted by
531 posts

Chani.....great advice for folks uninitiated to heat ..... I live in Texas where we start hitting 80-90’s in early May and reach 100+ by end of June-early July.....I start feeling cold at 70-75 😊.... work with a trainer many years as well.....but yes .....this is great advice for folks who don’t like or are not used to heat or strenuous activity.

I chose this date because years ago we were all set to ferry to Santorini from Crete when ferries cancelled due to scirocco winds. Could only fly back to Athens and no flights to JTR from there.

I’m leaving US on 24th August and flying to JTR prior to meeting tour.

Posted by
15582 posts

One couple on my tour spent a few days on Santorini before the tour and raved about it. Color me jealous :-) Have a great time, Chris.