Please sign in to post.

Anyone going on the 2017 GAS tour set for Aug 26 - Sept 8?

Just looking to see if there was anyone in the forum going on this trip.

Maybe we can share some information and do a little pre-planning.

Posted by
40 posts

I'm not on your trip but I was on the May 30th tour. You're going to have the time of your life!
Happy planning!!!

Posted by
11 posts

Hi Holly,

We ....my husband and I......are on that tour with you (and live in Atlanta, too...actually Sandy Springs). Let's talk!!

Paula

Posted by
15 posts

Hey ststevey,

I'm in Alabama but, of course, will be heading to Germany from Atlanta. When are y'all leaving? I'm flying out Aug 24, arriving in Frankfurt Aug 25, stopping in Cologne to check out their Cathedral, and ending up in Trier around 17:30 (5:30 PM). Are y'all heading over early? What about staying a little longer in the end?

Nathan

Posted by
11 posts

Hi Nathan,

We are going over the 23rd, arriving the 24th.....spending a day in Frankfurt, then taking the train to Trier on the 25th. We aren't staying after, but are taking thee fly out the 9th. Are you staying after?

Have you been on other RS tours? We did Ireland in 14 days a few years ago.

Paula

Posted by
11 posts

Boy that got messed up...taking the train to Munich and leaving from there on the 9th.

Posted by
40 posts

No worries, Paula. But if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them. We had an amazing trip. (And we are in Dallas/Acworth, GA!)

Posted by
15 posts

Hey ststevey,

I am staying after. I'll spend an extra day in Vienna and return home on Saturday the 9th.

This will be my third RS tour. I've done the Venice/Florence/Rome and the week in Paris. As those tours were mostly larger cities, I'm excited to see how this goes - a little more outdoor, smaller city feel.

What are y'all thinking about the weather? I've checked information from the past and it has seemed a little on the cool side. But, then I watch videos, and they're all walking around in shorts. I guess the trick is to layer.

Are y'all planning anything special during the free times? I've arranged to catch an opera in Vienna at the opera house and hope that our guide can get me a Mozart concert in Salzburg. Also hoping to get up the Schilthorn early for breakfast during our time in Murren (would love to see the sunrise over the Alps). Trying to decide if I'm brave enough to do the spa in Baden-Baden.

Posted by
11 posts

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the quick reply! I've checked the weather too (at least the historical weather for our dates) and I guess we won't know much until the day before we leave. We're planning on layers, too, although I think our best chance of "cold" is in Murren. I hate to lug a light fleece, jacket, etc, but if you need it, you need it!!!! I certainly could pack more effectively if I definitely knew the temperature for the days we are there.

I am SURE I will not get up the nerve for the Baden Baden nude bath, but maybe the other one....I'm bringing an old swimsuit, that I'll leave after that day.

Your free time plans sound great. I think we tour the Vienna opera house, but I'm not planning on a performance for us; however in reading other folks trip reports, I think there is an optional Mozart dinner and performance in Salzburg. If they still do that, we will definitely go. I may do the salt mine tour; my husband is claustrophobic, so he won't be coming on that one.

We have done the Schilthorn....a wonderful experience if we are blessed with good weather. If the weather cooperates we are going to do a couple of hikes and take zillions of photos.

What my last post erased is that we are going back to Munich at the end, because it was many, many Sky Miles cheaper to go home from there rather than Vienna. Who knows why?

Keep in touch!

Paula

Posted by
13934 posts

I suspect your guide will do a head count on who wants to go to the Mozart concert in Salzburg and make reservations for you. Mine did and I went at the same time as you all are going. Do be aware there is a dress code for that concert. No jeans or athletic shoes. I skipped it because I only had ....jeans and athletic shoes, lol, but had a good evening anyway.

Weather-wise, last year Europe was having a heat wave during the last of August and first of Sept. No kidding, it was 95F in Trier. I thought I would melt. I would have a plan on what to pack then make a final decision right before you leave home. Muerren was very comfortable to me in the 60's. I used my waterproof jacket a number of times as it was rainy in Salzburg and Hallstatt.

There is plenty to do in Hallstatt without doing the salt mine tour. And the whole little town is so cute!!

Posted by
11 posts

Pam,

Thanks so much for the great info......especially about the dress code! I sure hope we don't have a heat wave this year...better throw in some more sleeveless tops!

Paula

Posted by
1203 posts

I did the GAS tour last year and enjoyed it a lot!

Munich: Nice city, liked it well enough and would like to go back, been a few times now on tours. Great beer halls, easy to walk around, lovely shops, Main square is the Marienplatz not to be missed and the Glockenspiel. I stayed two times right near the Viktualienmarkt which is very nice to walk around and see. I loved the Residenz, not to be missed, which is the palace right in the city! I went to the Hofbrauhaus which is a fun place to go for drinks one night. I went to the Neue Pinakothek museum of 1900-1920 paintings which I loved!!! I am a huge museum fan. I did not go to the Alte Pinakothek which I know is very highly recommended and I want to go to if I get back to Munich. It was being renovated so I opted to see the other museum. No time for both anyway. There are some main churches to see, St. Peter's, St Michaels which I saw the time before this year's trip. Churches are always impressive, so go see all of them if you can. I also went to Dallmyr Delicatessen which has a lovely restaurant on the 2nd floor, good food and nice elegant atmosphere. I wore slacks or jeans not needed to get dressed. I went for lunch, would go back!
I did not spend as much time in Munich but hope to get back to see the other museum and would see the two palaces again.

Posted by
1203 posts

There are so many things to do in your free time, but you will have to choose one or two things to do and do it. Think about what you want to do in your free time and make a list and bring it, this way when you have free time, you won't be looking at the guide book to figure out what you want to see. This tour was busy, an adventure and thrilling! Layer, layer, layer. Bring a rain jacket, jeans, two pairs of comfortable shoes, casual clothes, and one warm sweater. if you can pack an overnight bag for Hallstatt that would be good. Read the tour scrapbooks, they have valuable information and great photos. I stayed four extra days after the tour in Vienna and was happy I did. Trier is nice to have two days before the tour. make sure you see the churches and gardens before the tour as there is not much time on the tour and church services are going on, in Trier. In Baden-Baden, I went to the spa and loved it. I was worried but it was actually a lot of fun and relaxing. Save some room in your suitcase if your a shopper, there are tons of beautiful shops. I just found Austria and Germany to be shopping meccas than any other places I visited on other tours. I loved this tour so much

Posted by
1203 posts

Hallstatt is like a fairlytale. The boat ride is lovely, the lake is amazing, the scenery is wonderful. I actually did not get to see the town, church, or many wonderful shops. Saw a few shops. I climbed the huge, massive waterfall, tons of stairs, to see tons of water, waterfalls and it was nothing like I ever saw. The walk back to the hotel was very nice, quiet, all pretty houses, land, horses, before you even get into town. Hotel is the nicest one and it is the best ever. So there you have it. Again, this is what I did, but after the tour you will understand there is so much to see and do and with time limited, choose one or two things to do. I had another wonderful 4 days in Vienna! If you are able do go to Trier at least the day before if not more days before the tour, then do so, and stay in Vienna a few days.

Posted by
1203 posts

Salzburg Cathedral is wonderful as is the Mirabell Gardens! I loved the St Peters cemetary - yes, it is a cemetary but highly unique and beautiful. I loved the Getreidepasse which is a very picturesque shopping street with the best wrought iron signs, I think I took a photo of every sign on that street.
I wanted to go to the hohensalzburg Fortress and hope to if I get back to Salzburg. That is on the top of my list and they say ( on this forum) the marionette show is not to be missed. I went to a lovely Mozart dinner concert which was very nice.
That's it for Salzburg, nice city, river runs through it and was able to walk every where. Tons of lovely shops, I bought great loose tea. There was a lovely tea shops in both Munich and Salzburg. I did not spend much time, on the tour there