Please sign in to post.

Alps June 5, 2024 My Way Tour. Are You Going too?

This June, I look forward to visiting Salzburg, Alpe di Siusi, Fussen, Wengen and Chamonix in a group with which I expect to enjoy traveling. I would love to get to know others who will be part of that group. By way of introduction, I am a retired man, who lives on an island near Seattle, and greatly enjoy walking (especially since very beneficial hip-joint replacement surgery, 2 years ago). I used to travel to Europe occasionally on business, but haven't gone there for more than 30 years. Mt.Blanc is the only area we will visit where I have been, and that was 50 years ago.

The concept of traveling "My Way" appeals to me very much, as I am used to roaming the mountains and shores of western North America, primarily on my own. One way I have applied this in my planning is my response to learning that we are scheduled to stay at a Bolzano hotel, that is located a couple hours distant from the area where I'm keen to take photos near sunrise and set. I have made a reservation for our first night to stay in the Piccolo Hotel at Compatsch up near the meadows and trails. That's the only night I expect to be away from the, as yet unidentified, individual with whom I will be sharing a room throughout our travels. You may know that the schedules for bus, gondola and even car transportation are peculiar in that area, so implementation of my scheme may be somewhat contingent, but I think it's worth trying to maximize time near the Dolomites.

Beyond our time together under the Rick Steves aegis, I plan to return from Chamonix to spend three nights each at Zermatt and Pontresina; then enjoy a couple of those spectacular railways the Swiss have carved through their mountains and into Italy, winding up at Lake Como, before flying home via Reykjavik.

I hope this note may be seen by some of those who will be traveling with me, and that you may respond so that we might begin to get acquainted before the group's rendezvous in Austria. In any case, I can hardly wait until June. By the way, this will be my first trip with a Rick Steves group and I have rarely traveled with any group.
Bill O'Neill

P.S. As I wrote this, PBS has been broadcasting a "Nova" episode about Otzi, the fossil iceman whose 3D image is displayed at Bolzano, and the "Secrets of the Dead" about Hanibal crossing the French Alps. Both are worth viewing, through PBS' Passport, especially by those of us planning to visit the Alps THIS YEAR!

Posted by
1582 posts

@Biophil - A suggestion that i would make before heading to Lake Como is to visit the Swiss towns of Tirano and Lugano, the Italian part of Switzerland. Take the Bernina express from Zermatt to Tirano and then to Lugano before you head to Lake Como. Lugano is not far from Lake Como. You will enjoy those 2 towns. I visited Lugano in 2022 and i love the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1knL0MSSQw

Posted by
406 posts

I’m very interested in doing this tour next year, I hope you will come back and tell us your adventures and thoughts about how it went. The RS tours are great jumping off points to do your own thing before and after.

Posted by
10 posts

Bill, my husband Wick and I are also going on the June 5 My Way Alpine tour and also looking forward to it! This will be our second RS tour; we did the 1 week Istanbul tour last fall, and it was fantastic!

I agree with you re the Otzi Nova episode, very interesting and definitely on our list for a visit!

We are planning to extend our time by arriving 3 days early in Vienna to tour that city and then taking the train to Salzburg, but then leaving for home at the conclusion of our tour.

I'm curious as to how you learned that we are staying in Bolzano in the Dolomites? The trip itinerary only says that we will be in the Alpe de Siusi area, so based on prior trip reports, I thought that might be either Bolzano or Castelrotto. Curious as to whether you have updated info?

Posted by
2 posts

Hi, Victoria
I used to live in Marin County, not too far from Orinda. Now I live near Seattle, not far from Edmonds, where Rick Steves is based. I attended a seminar he hosted there in January and learned from his staff that our group will be staying at the Stadt Hotel Citta, Piazza Walther 21, in Bolzano. That's why I grabbed a room for a night in Compatche, in hopes of getting to photograph up in the Alpe di Siusi around sunset on the 7th and sunrise on the 8th. I just got an illustrated book about "shorter" hikes in the Dolomites, from the library, which makes me wish I could spend much more time in those extraordinary mountains and meadows.

Other than that, I will be going along with the program and hotels on the RS itinerary. I plan to walk in the Almburg Gorge and take a boat trip on the Konigsee from Salzburg. I made reservations last week for Neuschwanstein (9:55) and Hohenschwangau (13:40) castles on the 10th, near Fussen, where we will be staying in the Altstadthotel Zum Hechten. We're also scheduled to stay in the Regina Hotel at Wengen and Hotel l'Arve at Chamonix, where I hope weather will be favorable for hiking and photography at mid-mountain altitudes. Then I plan to go by train to Zermatt, Pontresina and Lake Como, before returning home via Milan and Reykjavik. I look forward to meeting you, Wick and our fellow travelers four months from now. Hope to hear from some more of us thru this forum.

Bill

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for the info, Bill, we are looking forward to meeting you and the others on our tour just three months from now!

Posted by
7 posts

Your post was very interesting - we are scheduled to go on this trip starting September 11.