Please sign in to post.

3 Day Paris, 3 Day Swiss in July 2023 Itinerary

Hello, We are family of 4 planning to tour Europe first time in the first week of July. I am looking to arrive at Paris, stay in a hotel close to airport and tour 3 days(Rick's 3 day Itinerary). Fourth day take train to Zurich or Lucerne, take hotel and visit places for 3 days. Last day take train to Frankfurt and fly back.
Need guidance on where to stay in Switzerland and what places to visit in 3 days. Thought Zurich/Lucerne better place to take train from Paris and to Frankfurt around 5 hours. Any suggestions?
The 3 day Swiss itinerary recommends Berner Oberland, but could not find the places to cover.
Also, I am travelling with 2 kids(15,10), most of the hotels show unavailable for 4. Can I book a hotel for 2 and kids can stay free like US or I need to book 2 rooms.
Appreciate the help.
Thanks

Posted by
4363 posts

You might want to post this in the General Europe section--you are on the tour page.
That's a lot for the time you have--a lot of time will be spent on trains. I would reevaluate--two stops would be much better. Are flights booked?

Posted by
2311 posts

The Berner Oberland is a region in Switzerland that includes Lauterbrunnen (the transportation hub for the area), Wengen (a village up in the mountains that is accessible only by train), Murren (another village up in the mountains accessible by cable car and train), and Grindelwald.

If you google Paris to Zurich (or any other places you want to travel between), then click on the train symbol, you’ll see the options.

Most hotels in Europe do not sleep 4 people. Finding a room with two queen beds is next to impossible (we are a family of 4). Unless you are ok with a sofa bed for your kids (also rare), you will need to rent two rooms. There is no “kids stay free”. Be aware that some beds in Europe that are listed as a “double” are the size of a full in the US. If you want a bed bigger than that, you need to look at the bed measurements closely.

Posted by
27104 posts

Don't stay out at the airport when you want to visit Paris. The trip into the city from CDG will take quite a bit of time, and you'd be making that trek six times. Stay in the city so you only have to do that trip once, on the day of arrival. The best place to get a train to Switzerland is in downtown Paris.

Hotels out at the airport are unlikely to be much less expensive than those in town, and the food options near the airport will be much more limited and probably inferior.

Posted by
361 posts

Are you saying your flying all the way to Europe for 6 nights? If so just stay in Paris with such a short trip there will be no time to move around. If you are a family of 4 look at Airbnbs rather than hotels, that way you have more than just a bedroom. J

Posted by
365 posts

With your travel group and time, you’ll want to simply stay in one place Paris or Switzerland. You’re losing 2 of your 6 days to travel and that’s just not worth it.

As to hotels, most have 1 bed or 2 twins meaning they are double occupancy. You’ll need a suite, special family room, or apartment.

Posted by
27104 posts

If you haven't already done so, check a hotel-booking platform like booking.com. That's the one I use, and I've found the reviews generally reliable. You can set filters for your basic needs. Specify the number of people in your party, and you'll usually get results that include apartments, family rooms and two rooms (which you would not want, since you're traveling with children).