Please sign in to post.

My Way Alps June-12 ~ Who's going?

Hello friends,

Who will be going during these dates (12 June - 23 June, 2024) with the Rick Steve's Alps My Way Tour ? I know we have a 'roster' in our documents but thought we could chat a bit ... get to know one another... ask specific questions related to our dates, etc.

Our little family of 5 adults (Mom, Dad and our 23 year old triplets) are looking forward to this 'once-in-a-lifetime' trip :) It's only 2 weeks away! yippee!!

Rick Steve's European PBS episodes helped our family through a very difficult time in 2020. It is even a miracle that we're able to take this journey. We are full of gratitude and thankfulness.. and JOY (!) to be together as a family and see places we once only dreamed about ~

Prost !

Mitzi

Posted by
1 posts

Hello!
We are from the Bay Area in Ca and are going on the Alps trip June 12-24.! My husband, myself and our 26 year old daughter will be on the tour. Very much looking forward to it. It is getting close and I'm starting to keep- an eye on the weather and figure out how to lighten the load with the packing. It seems like there could be very cold , windy weather at the top of some of those peaks. Speaking of which, does anyone have any concerns about the altitude? Or will we be gradually increasing in altitude and adjusting without problem? I know when we go to Lake Tahoe all is usually fine, so it is probably similar.
Hope to hear from some more Alps travelers!

thanks,
Kelly

Posted by
24 posts

Wonderful to know you, Kelly!

Any others out there packing / planning for their RS Alps My Way tour ?

Great question about altitude ~ I hadn't even thought of that....

Posted by
198 posts

Mitzi,
I did this tour in August of 2022. You will absolutely love it! With regard to packing, I’d recommend waterproof jackets and shoes. I made the mistake of taking a water resistant jacket and shoes and got soaked to the skin on our hike near Bolzano. Once we got to Switzerland the weather turned beautiful.

Have a wonderful trip.
Vanessa

Posted by
1 posts

Kelly and/or Mitzi,

We will be doing the Alps MW in August and have been trying to find answers about high altitude sickness, especially associated with Aiguille du Midi, Zugspitze, and to a lesser degree Mannlichen. How did you finally deal with the issue on your trips? Thank you.

George

Posted by
24 posts

Hi George :)
Lucky YOU! Our family LOVED the RS Alps My Way experience! It was magical! We are even considering going again ..someday.

To answer your question about altitude sickness~ our tour, unfortunately, had cloudy/rainy weather for both the Zugspitze and the Aiguille du Midi and my family didn't venture to Mannlichen. We did not have any symptoms of altitude sickness and we do not live in high altitudes in the USA (so we weren't just "used to it"). I didn't even think about it once we were there. I have not heard of anyone in our group experiencing it, even the family that stayed extra days and caught great weather and were able to do the Aiguille du Midi. There are so many other wonderful things to do that we didn't know what we missed, if you know what I mean. I'm sure those sites are amazing and I do hope to experience them someday but we were just so happy being in those beautiful countries that rain or clouds didn't stop us from having a fabulous vacation. I hope you have sunny days and can do all you hope! If you have anymore questions, I'm always happy to talk about our trip and help however I may be able.

Mitzi

Posted by
7 posts

I am scheduled for the Alps my way tour next May and just happened to see the question about altitude effects. I was in chamonix two years ago and went up the gondola to the Aiguille du midi and did experience a slight dizziness. I had previously gone up two years prior and even traversed across the range on the smaller cable to the lookout over Italy with absolutely no problem. Don’t know what the difference was but possibly my age was a factor? I’m 73 and have hiked in the US many times over the years at high altitudes with no problem.