Please sign in to post.

2022 RS Tours are Posted! Get your credit cards ready!!

On RS Monday Night Travel Rick indicated that next week the company will be taking reservations and deposits for 2022 tours (some will begin in February). The first sales will go to people who have indicated an interest in a tour on his website for the 2021 tours. People will be contacted next week!
As for the 2021 tours, no firm decision has been made. However he did say - if we get our vaccine and Europe gets theirs making it safer for travel that he will strongly consider tours in late 2021.
So look for an email and a phone call from the tour company!

Posted by
8375 posts

. . . The first sales will go to people who have indicated an interest in a tour on his website for the 2021 tours. . .

That would be a very gracious gesture, and what I was hoping for.

Posted by
1077 posts

I’m going to sign up for the Scandinavian tour the moment it is available!!!! I miss the tours even more than I thought I would.

Posted by
295 posts

As a minority Canadian RS tour fan, we have been on a couple tours and have put ourselves on the “wait list” or “let us know” list but now I can’t remember which dates I put us down for. I know we have our to do list, but I hope RS peeps are able to keep their contact list, as I hate to miss out because of my memory. Just so glad to see a glimmer of hope to tour soon!

Posted by
2461 posts

Donald,
I’m signing up for the Scandinavia tour, too! Two friends are also planning to go with me. One friend has said “no” to travel for several years and after we were deep into the pandemic, she said I will never say no again! I will go anywhere you suggest!

It will feel so good to be on a RS tour again, it will feel like coming home to me.

Posted by
23 posts

Is one limited to the tours requested for 2021?
Because it was after my missed tour to Greece,
didn’t include it in my interest list. Really want to
Experience Orthodox Easter.

Posted by
333 posts

Mcduff

All yours are listed on his site, some with dates and some not. Best of Greece is listed.

Posted by
2378 posts

Yay! I have been waiting patiently to rebook the two back to back Italy tours that were cancelled last May and have added Ireland and Scotland (back to back) to our plans for next year. Hopefully our other trip will happen in January as well.

Posted by
2337 posts

Thanks horsewoofie!
I signed up for 2 tours so fast my card sent me a fraud alert. 😁

Posted by
7 posts

Wow... I've been watching and waiting... so fortunate to have stumbled upon your message! Just signed up the wife and I for our very first RS tour - Village Italy. Can't wait!

Posted by
8375 posts

Thanks horsewoofie! I was expecting an email from RSE on this but haven't seen that yet. Must be a soft opening. We signed up for one as well.

Posted by
17 posts

Just signed up for the Best of Venice, Florence & Rome in 10 Days tour next summer (June 13-22, 2022). This will be my third Rick Steves-tour. Can't even begin to describe how great and satisfying it was to hit that "SUBMIT" button a few moments ago. Hugely looking forward to getting back to Europe next summer.

Posted by
2665 posts

I can’t sign up for South of France or Heart of France until I talk to sister-in-law Friday. I’m going with her or without her but she gets to decide which tour. So save me a seat!

Exciting isn’t it? It’s like a huge depressing weight has been lifted. But even though I’m vaccinated you will see me wearing my red plaid or black flowered mask. Have to color-coordinate with my clothes, y’know.

I hope everyone has the best trip ever!

Posted by
333 posts

Did anyone get an email or phone call like he said he was going to do?

Posted by
382 posts

Booked GAS Tour for mid-September/Oktoberfest. Prost!

Posted by
2665 posts

Sandra, No email, text or call. As Stan above said, it looks like a soft opening. I just happened to see it on my daily tour check.

Do you mind updating your header to say the 2022 tours are posted? Thanks!

Posted by
54 posts

I signed up for My Way Alpine in September! I didn't get an email either-I have just been checking the site every day just in case-so glad that I did! This will only be our second RS tour but we had this booked in 2020 with some friends that we met on the first tour. We were so worried that it would all sell out before we could book!

Posted by
2461 posts

I booked the first Scandinavia tour in May. All the 2021 tours have been taken down.

He has “silently” posted the new tours in past years and then he makes an official announcement.

The staff will likely email us soon. Only the forum hawks, me included, will notice the 2022 tours are available.

Posted by
17 posts

Being a teacher, I have to wait until at least mid-June(-ish) to book my trip, since (A) our last day of school if we use all of our snow-days is June 11, and (B) going to Italy deeper into the summer means hotter temperatures once you get to Rome; I wanted to take the earliest tour I could, given that latter situation.

Was also considering the Eastern France and Villages of Southern England trips, and those would've meant I could've waited a bit longer (into July, if I wanted) to book, but I'm still pretty stoked for this one regardless. Got both of my Moderna-shots back in February/March (thanks to my school district), and am raring to go.

Posted by
13800 posts

Woohoo!! Thanks to Lynn in Boise for the email alert I signed up before I came to check out the forum!

Doing Best of Italy the end of September. Thinking that starting on a Friday would be good - that means getting into Milan during the week so will try to book for The Last Supper before I head to Varenna. I've done 2 other of Rick's Italy tours but Have always had my eye on this one because I want to see Otzi the Iceman, lol.

And laughing at LizinPA and her red-hot CC, lol!!

editing to add: Just got the email alert as well!

Posted by
6264 posts

Judy B and Pam: Kim emailed me that the tours were out, and I didn't hesitate! I was supposed to meet someone at 2:30, but I said "This is more important." We did get the "sneak preview" email, but only after I had already signed up for two tours, and while I was in the process of responding to emails from other travel fiends. Or friends, either word works here.

We're on Loire Valley to south of France May 1, and Best of South Italy May 23. Can't wait! I'm ridiculously excited, but I know I'm not alone.

Posted by
2065 posts

I got the email alert but it came after we had already booked two tours.
They must be swamped.

Posted by
759 posts

Soft opening..they have to get the computer programing up and running. They either do it 'softly' or take down their entire system (as
Apple Computer used to do before new products came out). Those in the system for advance warning would have gotten more advanced warning but ...well...hmmm let's just say folks blabbed- so blame them (LOL)..... as for phone calls. yeah, NO! Over 15,000 people on the interested waiting lists... please do the math--they would be making calls well into 2023 for 2022 tours fi they did that.

Posted by
13800 posts

Hahahah...Jane and your travel fiends! So happy everyone is so happy and yes....Rick's cash registers are ringing today...or actually I'm sure the deposits are e-transferred so don't actually make a sound!

I am sure today will give him and all the staff - office and guides - a big morale boost!

Posted by
3 posts

I opened up his weekly special email and read Rick's monthly news letter. Decided to see if any tours were open and I thought I was imaging it when I saw 2022. I couldn't believe it, so I checked multiple tours and all were available. Thinking it was still a mistake I told my wife let's see if we could book one. After filling in the information I got to the page to "add another tour" for a discount. We added another tour. Eastern Europe June 19, 2022 & Athens and Heart of Greece September 19, 2022.

Keep on Travel'n

Rich

Posted by
646 posts

I happened on the site about 90 minutes ago and saw the tours were up. I got an email (hadn't signed up for 2021, but had been booked on a 2020 tour that didn't take place) less than an hour later. Just signed us up for the Best of Southern Italy we were originally planning to take in September 2020. Now booked for September 2022. I hope, I hope, I hope.......

Posted by
15 posts

My travel friend texted with the news. While we were texting, I got my email. Both signed up for Scotland in October! Yay!!!

Posted by
69 posts

Booked April tours of Sicily and Best of Adriatic!!!! So excited!!! We were one week from flying to Sicily in 2020 for our tour when things were shutdown...

Posted by
2461 posts

Pam,
You will love the Best of Italy tour, I did. Flew into Milan and spent two nights there before heading to Varenna. Otzi is quite a sight. This tour is full of a variety of cities, towns and the beach and even a resort! The piece-de-resistance is Rome. I loved Rome so much, I signed up for the week in Rome tour the next spring, March 2017, a perfect time for weather, coolish mornings and mild sunny days, maybe 70 degrees.

Posted by
32 posts

Yea! Finally booked Village Italy ... have been eyeing that trip since it debuted. Usually an independent traveler, but have been on a few RS tours (Alpine My Way, Scotland, and Best of Rome years ago). Super excited and hope everyone gets their travel dreams fulfilled and has safe travels in 2022.

Posted by
142 posts

Yay! Booked southern Italy in October 2022....husband is golfing and his phone is off while he golfs, so when I got the email, I just booked it! Sooooo excited!

Posted by
2 posts

I am so excited. I signed up as a single for the Heart of Belgium & Holland tour. It would be my second risk steves tour. My first was to Rome in 2016

Posted by
8375 posts

I think RSE earned a lot of trust from their responsible response to the past year. Best not to hesitate or overthink it. Get it before its gone.

Posted by
982 posts

I just booked the Germany and Austria tour for June 2022. I am so excited! I am going to combine this tour with a trip to the UK to see the Queen's Jubilee and then get into Munich a few days ahead of the tour. I had Austria/Germany booked in 2020 as an independent trip with a group of friends. As the trip planner, I ended up having to do all the cancellations and I just don't want that kind of responsibility again. I know Rick worked very hard to provide refunds for all of his travelers in 2020 and I am very impressed with his current refund/flexibility policies. I had already decided two weeks ago that as soon as the tour dates opened I would book the Germany/Austria tour with RS. I had a huge smile on my face today when I hit that submit button.

Margaret

Posted by
2378 posts

We got an email this afternoon from RS. I was so excited. I didn’t waste any time booking Sicily and Southern Italy for April/May and Best of Scotland and Ireland for August/September. We haven’t traveled anywhere since August 2019. The clock is ticking so we are going to go as much as we can while we still can. I have a feeling that the tours are going to get booked up pretty quick as we are all chomping at the bit to get out there. Happy travels everyone.

Posted by
13800 posts

@kzillis - I went solo on the Belgium and Holland tour in 2019 (how long ago was that?) and it was wonderful.

Posted by
759 posts

Now the real wait begins......the confirmation. Booking ain't booking... they were buried today (up to 3 days to get your spot confirmed). Many tours already being wait listed it appears.

Posted by
2 posts

Booked Best of Spain in 14 days. I have been waiting, originally was planning to go in the Fall of 2020, but now Spring 2022. Cannot wait for my first RS Tour!! Gotta start brushing up on my Spanish.

Posted by
1017 posts

Too much to decide on. I am ready to go! We already have three tours scheduled for June 1 thru July 5 with two different RS guides who also have their own company, along being a RS guide. We are doing outer Hebrides, Iceland, Orkney and Shetland for 2022. Now that he has put out his tours.......I don’t want to skip his too! I have religiously saved my money for two years. There are only a few tours that will work for our schedule. I have a work requirement around 2nd or 3rd week in July. We watch our grands during school year, dil school teacher . So Our only time available will be last week in July thru August 13.

Help..... my choices are..... which one to do—-

1). Scandinavian tour with return trip on our own back to bruges before or after tour. July 24 - aug 6. This trip keeps being pushed back . Been wanting to go since 2017.

2) best of England July 24 to aug 6. Plus A trip to cotswolds on our own. We have a credit deposit at a cottage since our trip was cancelled in 2020

3) best of Ireland July 24 to august 6 or July 29 to august 11. I have already done this one with my sister, plus dh and I have done the 8 ireland. But we both love Ireland.

4). Switzerland July 24 to august 4. I love Switzerland too! Last time I was there in 2006. But we are doing a River cruise ending in Switzerland in 2023, so I thought about tacking this tour on after the cruise

5). Germany Austria Switzerland tour July 30 to aug12.... no specifics

Now, trying to convince the husband to go again!🤞🏼

Kim

Posted by
2065 posts

Onefastbob, did you speak with the office today? I don’t see any waitlisted tours when I check online. We booe
Jed back to back tours and our first one is confirmed (Portugal) but the 8 day Barcelona is still pending. Funny though, friends booked later than we did and both are confirmed.
The confirmation of request does say to check in in 1-3 days.

Posted by
759 posts

Diane- I booked a tour today. Thinking of a seconded but haven't decided. When doing the first booking I saw the 'add a second tour for a discount' and followed that link to see what it was about. Under the drop down to add a second tour they had listed every tour...a LONG scroll.... That is where I saw tours with "wait listed". I have not gone into my tour account to see about a confirmation yet. Just paid the deposit and they said they would contact/confirm in 1-3 days. Not worried about it.

Posted by
8375 posts

onefastbob, we got confirmed within three hours of signing up. I think we those of us who participate here regularly assume the rest of the world were all waiting with bated breath when its probably not the case.

Posted by
11027 posts

Did anyone get an email or phone call like he said he was going to do?

Got an email.

In part it read-- You’re receiving this “sneak preview” message because you were signed up for a 2020 tour, or you asked to be notified when we started selling tours again. But our 2022 tours won’t stay a secret for long. Soon, we’ll be making a wider announcement. We expect a lot of pent-up demand, and many departures could sell out quickly. So, to have the most options, don’t dillydally — book soon! (If you have a credit to apply to a 2022 tour, you can find the procedure in our Tour FAQ.)

Posted by
2065 posts

Onefastbob. Thanks. Hubby didn’t see the area to sign up for a second tour. He did them separately.

Posted by
324 posts

It doesn't matter now, but.....

I had two cancelled tours for 2020. I had 'pre registered' for both to get email heads up for 2022. I have not received any email regarding tour bookings open today. (Not in inbox, junk mail or accidently deleted.)

As I said it doesn't matter because I saw I could book this morning and did book the Best of Germany. Am I the only person that didn't get notified at some point on Wednesday? Just wondering why.

Posted by
33 posts

I didn't get an email either, but I signed up for 11 days in Paris and heart of France. 2022. Can't wait.

Posted by
116 posts

Yea! Have been waiting for this since last April when our Portugal tour was cancelled. Signed up for the April 4th Portugal tour followed by the April 18th Turkey tour. So have have another couple on the Turkey tour and 4 other friends on the Portugal tour. Now to book the pre tour Eating Europe tours.

Can’t wait!

Posted by
116 posts

I did some looking and the only tours I saw waitlisted where the 2021 tours which makes total sense given this still uncertain climate in Europe over vaccination rates.

Posted by
759 posts

Diane- "Onefastbob. Thanks. Hubby didn’t see the area to sign up for a second tour. He did them separately."
The link indicates if you book the 2nd while booking the first you save $100. Not an issue for me but might be for some- I say contact them - in a bit, they may be buried for a day or two playing catch up. But knowing the way RS works I wouldn't be surprised when you get your final bill for the 2 tours if the $100 doesn't appear as a credit on the 2nd one anyways; especially as you booked both today and folks were in a rush to get it done..

Posted by
1113 posts

I got the email at 1:30 pm today. Started texting my friends and now 3 of us are signed up for Athens and the Heart of Greece tour. It feels fantastic like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders!

Posted by
17 posts

Does anybody know offhand if Rick will be reinstating the "early bird"-discount this year (where, if you pay your deposit prior to Nov. 1, you get an extra $100 off your trip)? Due to having been shut down for an entire year now, I wasn't sure if that was something he was necessarily going to be doing immediately, what with all the previous lost revenue and all, but figured I'd ask.

Posted by
112 posts

I'm soooo excited!!! I booked my Southern England tour that was cancelled in 2020, and had confirmation before I received the "sneak preview" email. I saw that one tour for SE is already full. Glad I was "hawking" the forum and saw the post. Thanks for the post horsewoofie!!! Happy Travels Everyone!!

Posted by
104 posts

Wow, I can't believe it... we booked our Southern England tour yesterday afternoon after we saw it was open (May 16-28) We already knew what we wanted and were just waiting to book .... So glad we didn't hesitate as it is already Full!!!! Don't Wait or you may not get what you want!

Posted by
6264 posts

Just got the confirmation notices for our two tours! Whoop!

Posted by
522 posts

So happy! I booked Portugal in May and Tuscany in September! It feels great to have these trips to look forward to and plan. I got the email and jumped right in.

Posted by
69 posts

onefastbob -
"When doing the first booking I saw the 'add a second tour for a discount' and followed that link to see what it was about. Under the drop down to add a second tour they had listed every tour...a LONG scroll.... That is where I saw tours with "wait listed". I have not gone into my tour account to see about a confirmation yet. Just paid the deposit and they said they would contact/confirm in 1-3 days. Not worried about it."

I looked into this. All those waitlisted tours are for 2021. I'm sure that Rick is taking a lot of deposits and many tours will soon be waitlisted. However, currently, that long list of waitlisted tours are just for 2021.

Posted by
399 posts

I have dug out my membership card in the faux travel club - Vaccination Adventures - and am ready to go. With RS or on my own, hopefully both. I like the hybrid model of independent travel either before or after an RS tour. Usually, I do my independent travel after the tour and 'fill-in' some part of the country I did not see or would like to see more of. Occasionally, I go earlier which makes the tour a real upgrade in quality as most of the hotels I pick would probably fit better with Rick' early VW Bus tours. YIKES!!!

Posted by
4 posts

I just signed up for the Best of Eastern France 9/4 - 9/17. Really excited about this. This will be my 8th RS trip. One thing I noticed when signing up is having to specify the type of room and bed configuration. Is this new?

JEFF

Posted by
22 posts

Was sitting in a golf cart when I got the email notification yesterday! I was so excited! Signed up for Alpine My Way May 30th before golf! Exactly when our 2020 tour was. Yay!

Posted by
13800 posts

Patrice! So funny! I hope the Webmaster will read this thread and will have Rick read it!

Posted by
107 posts

Had to coordinate with 3 others, and 2 of the dates were already on waitlist status. We are now booked for April 17 tour of Sicily. So excited!

Posted by
2665 posts

I'm signed up for Loire to South of France Sept 11-23. Yeh!! Do the happy dance!!

I couldn't contact my sister-in-law so still don't know if she wants to go. If not on this tour, hopefully she'll want to go the Chelsea Flower Show in 2023. I knew there was pent up demand for travel but I never thought tours would fill up this fast.

Posted by
6428 posts

Just signed up for the 14-day Ireland tour next May 20. A long time to wait but I'll surely do some more traveling before then!

Posted by
924 posts

"I hope the Webmaster will read this..."

We're reading! We're so thankful to have this sort of response after such a hard year, seeing thousands of signups within hours. It's incredible and exciting. Can't wait to get back to Europe with you all!

Posted by
8375 posts

Just an FYI. I was checking on the tour I signed up for today, and noticed that at least one more tour date option was added, so its worth checking back.

Posted by
13800 posts

Stan, that's good to know! In "normal" times they usually had some shadow dates to add.

Webmaster! You can tell we are all excited...well, I guess you could tell by the 7,000 that signed up in 24 hours but we're real people, lol.

Posted by
11027 posts

By June 1st there will there be anything left for the 'general' announcement?

Hopefully the demand will prompt RS to 'fill in' some blank dates.

Not done a complete review but the published 2022 schedule is not the 'full' schedule that ran in the 'before time'

Posted by
522 posts

Yikes! I just did an approximate count, and it looks like around 226 tours are sold out or have limited space left! So happy for Rick and his crew to have had such a great response so far.

Posted by
1103 posts

We just booked two tours for 2022: Munich, Salzburg & Vienna in May, and Best of England in September-October. Our dear friends from Florida will be joining us on the May trip. The England trip is a re-do of a tour that was cancelled in 2020. We met a couple on our last RS tour (Village Italy - 2019) who will be joining us on the England tour.

It feels really good to be able to think about travel again.

Posted by
3183 posts

Just did a random search of various tours and dates. I knew things would sell quickly, but I am absolutely gobsmacked at the number of tours that are sold out. The general public will have slim pickings. We are confirmed for Paris & The Heart Of France on the first tour of the year. Wahooooo!

Posted by
4534 posts

I wonder whether they might delay announcing tours to their broader email list. I'd want to manage the current registrants before opening up another wave. I suppose delaying could have its repercussions too.

Posted by
399 posts

I have no idea what will happen when they open up to the general public. But I must admit to being very curious especially given the number of filled up tours already on the books. This might make a good case study for some business school class.

Posted by
759 posts

Reality check. Rick has been hosting zoom shows on Monday nights. Often to over 8000 viewers. Do you think his opening for 2022 tours is really a secret? Sure he can and will do more promotion…but the rush of the hordes has happened.

Posted by
3183 posts

@ onefastbob-not one person said they thought the opening of tours was a secret so not sure where you get that and your reality check comment just comes off as superior.

Posted by
1017 posts

Whew..... got our Scandinavian tour confirmed.

Now the planning begins.

Kim

Posted by
69 posts

I just received confirmation for my two tours. I was not worried, but nice to have it official.

Posted by
522 posts

Phew, second tour confirmed! That RS tour office is working hard on a holiday. We appreciate you!