Please sign in to post.

Tower of Pisa

Is the Tower of Pisa open again?

Posted by
1411 posts

dear rwp.....you are right, it was closed to tourists. 1990-2002.

navigate the website carefully,,,,30 tourists per hour are now allowed up....buy your ticket in advance on line and show up at the right time.

I will chalk it up to being jet lagged, but we did it as a day trip from Florence, took the train out, got off at the wrong Pisa station, wandered around lost for an hour, and once we got the grounds got separated, I was holding the voucher for all 4 of us.

so, avoid my mistakes, don't loose your companions, and watch the free films in the museum on the grounds (about 4 different short ones all in English, go figure) that show the history of Pisa and the tower and attempts to straighten it thru the years....) I don't do heights, so I did the beautiful baptistery while the other 3 climbed the tower..... they encountered mandatory luggage storage for their day packs, but it was free, I think. also.....use the restrooms on the grounds, we were out there on a Sunday afternoon, and did not find any restaurants, etc open in that time frame

Posted by
619 posts

Don't just visit the tower. The cathedral, baptistry and monumental cemetery are all worth the journey, and if you can go in early evening, when the tourist stalls are closed and most of the visitors have left, your impression will be much more memorable.